Author Topic: First Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Kubix

First Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 12:39:24 »
Hello GeekHack

So I decided to order my first mechanical keyboard. After spending a while deciding which keyboard and switch I want I decided on a Filco Majestouch Ninja Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Browns, and I absolutely LOVE it. I've had it less than 12 hours and still think its the best thing since sliced bread. Just wanted to thank everyone at GeekHack for all the posts/pictures/info that helped me in deciding which board to go with. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

I just have 1 question left. I want to get a set of blank lime green keycaps and I was looking at the WASD Keyboard company website and I'm just wondering if I were to order a keycap set from them if it would fit on the filco ninja, I really like the way the keycaps feel now and I don't really want to change anything except the colour. Any help would be appreciated.

Kubix

Offline andrewf87

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 12:52:42 »
Hey Kubix,

I am looking at getting a keyboard similar to that, what do you use it for?

What other brands did you look at? What made you choose Filco?

Cheers

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 12:57:27 »
wlcm
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Kubix

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:06:26 »
I use my keyboard for gaming and programming. I mainly play fps, strategy games and rpgs.

When I was looking at new keyboards brands I was looking at were Leopold, WASD Keyboard and Filco. I really wanted the tenkeyless for the smaller form factor. So that eliminated WASD. I had no need for backlighting so it basically left me with the Leopold and the Filco. So after browsing the forums for a while it seemed that the Filco and Leopold were pretty close, except for the Filco switches being mounted on a metal backplate and the Leopold being on a plastic one. From what I read the Filco's have a legendary build quality but they were also more expensive. So I decided to go with the Filco, and the thing feels like I could smash someone over the headwith it and keep on typing. Switches really aren't that loud and while I can't perfectly touch type now, using the browns give me the option to learn. Really its an all around awesome board, tenkeyless is awesome(moar deskspace!). So it basically boils down to how much you want to spend for how nice a keyboard. Filco was $180 shipped + $30 for customs and the leo is $110 + shipping + customs cause I'm in Canada. If you live in the US you can order the filco on Amazon for a much better deal too. Well that's my 2 cents.

Kubix

Offline enoy21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:15:30 »
I just ordered the Ninja MJ2 in browns myself , should be here tomorrow and yes the WASD Keycaps will fit.

I think I will be ordering me some PBT caps though as they offer them in side printing. I probably should have bought the original model to save the $10 towards the pbts but ahh well. Perhaps someone will want to buy the ninja caps.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Saturn

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:16:57 »
no love for the leopolds at gh, it's all about the sexy older sister filco

Offline Kubix

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:20:54 »
Awesome, thanks enoy21.

Can you get pbt caps in lime green? I want it to match my Haf X Nvidia tower :P

Kubix

edit: The older sister always knows all the tricks :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:28:03 »
Leopold is also metal plate mounted switch. Not sure where you got the idea it is plastic.

Offline Kubix

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:30:41 »
Hmm sorry. I just remember reading people comparing the build quality and saying the Filco superior. The things a brick.

Kubix

Offline enoy21

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 13:41:16 »
Anytime, as for the PBT's I'm not sure what colors are offered.   I will likely order mine from Qtan's store ,  I think he has a few options , or there is a group buy going on offering lots of customization.  

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/pbt-key-caps/catId=3982960
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Saturn

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 01:22:38 »
in most states in the US, the age of consent is 16
just sayin