Author Topic: Time for another keyboard  (Read 2463 times)

Offline BarryGordon

Time for another keyboard
« on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:12:56 »
I got a steelseries 6gv2 for $70 last month and it's not bad, but I still can't get used to the "/ \" key placement and would also rather have a smaller enter button. So having said that, I'm considering of buying a new keyboard and give MX Cherry Browns a go but I'm kind of stuck choosing between a Filco and Leopold. I've noticed a lot of people on this forum favor Filco over Leopold, is there any reason behind this?

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:21:44 »
ooooo this is a loaded question... I will say that many people have different opinions, read, listen and watch youtube moveis. I've personally only owned Filco and because this keyboard fetish I have recently developed isn't exactly cheap I prefer not to make regretful purchases.

OK so your probably non the wiser. Sorry for that, I don't want to step on anyone's toes :D
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:34:46 »
^^ what he said.  I use a leopold and have never used a Filco.  I love my leopold.  the biggest difference between filco's and leopolds is the stabilizers they use for some of the bigger keys.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 16:49:27 »
Filco is a trusted brand, been around for a while. Leopold is still kinda new to the non-Asian mech keyboard scene.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline duncan

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 19:24:34 »
I don't see any serious 'hating' on either. There is a lot of 'trash talk' about ping etc etc for fun but i very much doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

I have Filcos and no Leos simply because I got them before Leos were available (or were new enough to not want to be the quality tester given the marginal price difference against a personally known brand).

I wouldn't let it worry you. Grab whichever has the switches you want and is available when you are slapping down the cash.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 22:32:11 »
^ this

From what I've read, the two boards are essentially the same. Really, it just comes down to looks and bragging rights.

(Then again, you might not meet many people impressed by a Filco board...)

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 22:48:34 »
Both are fine. Grab whichever cheaper.

You can drink either Pepsi or Coke. Don't spill it on your Filco/Leopold.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline rodya

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 02:04:43 »
I have both.  Main advantage of Filco is the superior stabilizers.  Advantage of Leopold is cheaper, no branding (if you like that), detachable USB cable, and in-key LED (vs dedicated for Filco) for CapsLock/NumLock/ScrollLock.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 03:35:25 »
Quote from: Tony;430728
Both are fine. Grab whichever cheaper.

You can drink either Pepsi or Coke. Don't spill it on your Filco/Leopold.

I wouldn't drink coke, they stopped using real ingredients years ago (fake cola extract, fake sugar and how are they still calling it coca cola?). At least pepsi has throwback (real cola extract and real sugar). Go buy a coke made in mexico (old recipe, you can usually get them at foreign food markets) and compare the taste of it to the sparkling brown acid water they call coke these days (new recipe).

I ordered some leos, if you are going to take a few days to decide I can tell you for sure what the differences are.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline peda

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 03:57:21 »
Quote from: Clickey;430796
I wouldn't drink coke, they stopped using real ingredients years ago

I stopped drinking coca cola when they stopped putting in cocaine...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 04:47:25 »
Quote from: duncan;430587
I don't see any serious 'hating' on either. There is a lot of 'trash talk' about ping etc etc for fun but i very much doubt you'll be disappointed with either.
well you know how it is, ppl will want to go with what they have/like and it becomes their "pony" to the point that they will ride that pony everywhere and makes sure it "wins" in matches of who is best.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 04:57:57 »
Quote from: Lanx;430805
well you know how it is, ppl will want to go with what they have/like and it becomes their "pony" to the point that they will ride that pony everywhere and makes sure it "wins" in matches of who is best.

Not me, I ride a horse, ponys are for little girls.

Offline duncan

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 07:41:30 »
Quote from: Clickey;430806
ponys are for little girls.

Tell that to Genghis Khan.
http://asianhistory.about.com/od/profilesofasianleaders/ss/genghiskhanexhibitgallery.htm

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline enoy21

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 07:52:50 »
Quote from: peda;430798
I stopped drinking coca cola when they stopped putting in cocaine...

This.  Damn tree huggers trying the save the coca plant.

Really The stabilizers being different is the biggest issue I believe. Only a few threads here have  really said "why" Costar stabilizers are preferred over Cherry style. I believe it was the crispness of pressing from the sides of the board and the feel of the actual switch type underneath.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Clickey

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 08:30:07 »
Costar stabilizers are inferior to the cherry ones imo, wires are subject to maleability which can make them less effective over time. I have seen many a board that has failed stabilization because the wires were messed up. Cherry ones cannot fail, and are also much more solid, plus they are more expensive to make.

Offline N8N

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 09:08:24 »
WASD and Rosewill are also options if you want a full sized board.  Both use Costar stabilizers same as Filco.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline rodya

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 12:37:13 »
Quote from: Clickey;430890
Costar stabilizers are inferior to the cherry ones imo, wires are subject to maleability which can make them less effective over time. I have seen many a board that has failed stabilization because the wires were messed up. Cherry ones cannot fail, and are also much more solid, plus they are more expensive to make.

Thanks for that info.  I guess it'd be more accurate to say most people like the feel of Filco's Costar stabilizer better.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 13:09:03 »
Quote from: Clickey;430796
Go buy a coke made in mexico (old recipe, you can usually get them at foreign food markets) and compare the taste of it to the sparkling brown acid water they call coke these days (new recipe).

mexican coke is the best.  i love getting it in the half liter bottles.

Offline BarryGordon

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 15:04:50 »
Decisions Decisions! I'm so indecisive.. so far I'm leaning towards Filco.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 15:07:49 »
WASD or Filco.  Get whichever one looks better to you.  Otherwise, from an experience standpoint, they're basically the same 'board with different cases.

Offline duncan

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 18:00:41 »
Quote from: Clickey;430890
Cherry ones cannot fail

Famous last words.