Author Topic: Are Cherry MX Clears being transformed into Browns?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline ludionisio

Are Cherry MX Clears being transformed into Browns?
« on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 16:57:10 »
http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

http://www.cherry.de/english/switches_controls/images/Keymodule_MX_S67_S70_S71.pdf

The prospect just show the Blue, the white/clear and the black, and the force diagrams seem to depict also the Red.

So are the new white/clear switches replacing the Browns?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 17:07:01 »
lol no way crappy clears will replace browns as the "ergonomic switch", that spring just sucks. Who knows why they missing the browns on there, maybe the cherry guy can chime in.

Offline ludionisio

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 17:10:40 »
That's not what I meant, if you look at the prospect you will see that they are keeping the ergonomic switch, force diagram matches the brown specs, but since there is a White switch being depicted on the site then came the doubt.

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 17:14:56 »
I think Cherry themselves sell clears as the default "tactile, non-clicky" switch as opposed to nearly every other keyboard mfgr. that uses Cherry MX switches.  Which just makes me wish that Cherry's distribution in the US didn't fellate goats.  And that Cherry Corp. saw fit to make a plate-mount keyboard.  Note that the keyswitches that you can buy loose from US-based electronic supply houses are blue, black, and clear.  Now why the brown stem is a different profile to the clear stem makes no sense to me, because if I wanted a lighter switch, I'd take ergo clears over browns in a heartbeat.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 17:20:39 »
I think Cherry themselves sell clears as the default "tactile, non-clicky" switch as opposed to nearly every other keyboard mfgr. that uses Cherry MX switches.  Which just makes me wish that Cherry's distribution in the US didn't fellate goats.  And that Cherry Corp. saw fit to make a plate-mount keyboard.  Note that the keyswitches that you can buy loose from US-based electronic supply houses are blue, black, and clear.  Now why the brown stem is a different profile to the clear stem makes no sense to me, because if I wanted a lighter switch, I'd take ergo clears over browns in a heartbeat.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 19:47:26 »
I don't think they're changing anything. Honestly I have to admit, I have never really understood Cherry's marketing system. In their Datasheets I've never seen any sign of the browns, while they seem to be pretty common in America and Asia. On the other hand the Clears, which always appeared in the Datasheets are really rare there. Here in Germany one can easily get a Cherry G80-3000 or G80-1800 with Clears, but none with browns, the same is for distributors like Mouser. As I said, it's confusing. (And please forgive me if my wordings are strange, it's 2:50 a.m. here, and English is not my mother tongue)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline Marclgw

• * Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 October 2011, 01:13:42 »
=D Clear Switches are rarely used. Therefore production for this switches are low and have a huge MOQ.
Goods news, clear switches are available through me After November Q1. =D