Author Topic: dvorak backlit keycaps for cherry MX (Ducky Shine)  (Read 14999 times)

Offline Apokalipse

dvorak backlit keycaps for cherry MX (Ducky Shine)
« on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 02:44:21 »
I use a dvorak layout. Normally whenever I get a new keyboard I would just rearrange the keys; but on my Ducky Shine, each row of keys has a different angle. So putting any key on a different row would cause inconsistent angles with keys left or right of them.
I think I'd be looking for double shot keycaps in transparent + black (for backlighting), and faces angled for dvorak. Is it possible to buy keys like that?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 04:27:54 »
Normally if you are using DVORAK you will touch typing, so blanks will do it ;-)
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 04:45:46 »
I don't quite touch type though (but I still think dvorak feels better to type on)
And it would kinda defeat the purpose of getting the Ducky Shine

I did some searching though the forums, and someone suggested keycapsdirect for custom keycaps (forum won't let me post a link)
Do you think they'd custom make double shot transparent + black keys?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 05:14:53 »
Quote from: Apokalipse;434339
I don't quite touch type though (but I still think dvorak feels better to type on)
And it would kinda defeat the purpose of getting the Ducky Shine

I did some searching though the forums, and someone suggested keycapsdirect for custom keycaps (forum won't let me post a link)
Do you think they'd custom make double shot transparent + black keys?
you may find something interesting here
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 08:12:30 »
Quote from: cactux;434347
you may find something interesting here

This would be a cheaper, or easier, route than trying to go through KeycapsDirect.com.

KeycapsDirect.com, otherwise known as Signature Plastics around here, is more of a wholesale manufacturer or keycaps. In order to make it worthwhile to buy from them one has to buy in bulk. Group Buys are the best way of doing this but they take weeks to set up and collect interest and then four to six weeks for SP  to make the caps and send them back to you.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 08:40:17 »
WASD might have clear keycaps in Q1 2012 or thenabouts.

I got a Dvorak keyboard from them, and it's awesome.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 16:03:07 »
dvorakder
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 10:57:26 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;434384
This would be a cheaper, or easier, route than trying to go through KeycapsDirect.com.

[/COLOR]
Quote from: RColinTaylor;434384
KeycapsDirect.com, otherwise known as Signature Plastics around here, is more of a wholesale manufacturer or keycaps. In order to make it worthwhile to buy from them one has to buy in bulk. Group Buys are the best way of doing this but they take weeks to set up and collect interest and then four to six weeks for SP to make the caps and send them back to you.

I got a quote from Signature Plastics. They say they can't do transparent legends with doubleshot keycaps though.
3 engraved sets of keys molded in a translucent polycarbonate material and painted black are $210.68 / set. There will be a one-time setup fee of $75. Pricing does not include freight costs.
Yeah, that's kinda expensive. I'm assuming the more sets you buy, the less it costs per set.

Also, that quote is for 46 keys per set (the main 1x1 keys including letters, numbers)
Quote from: dorkvader;434404
WASD might have clear keycaps in Q1 2012 or thenabouts.

I got a Dvorak keyboard from them, and it's awesome.
I had a look. Seems like a pretty good site; have you got a source on WASD considering clear keycaps?
And do you know if that that means the keycap is 100% clear, or just the legends? (I'd prefer just the legends to be clear).

I know I might be expecting a bit much though.

Quote from: noodles256;434759
dvorakder
???
I'm not sure what that means, other than being an anagram of dorkvader

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 12:31:50 »
I was always under the impression that keys with clear legends were not doubleshot but inserts where the legend is placed into the key rather than the key was formed with the legend and background as one. I think the issue with all the advice we were giving you is we assumed you meant clear keys but as I think about the title I realize that you actually want keys looking like a Ducky Shining but in Dvorak. In my opinion this may be the hardest thing to find in the history of things to find because the demand for Dvorak, on a Shining, would be so low that it would be hard for Ducky or any other company to pull a profit producing them.

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 15:03:44 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;435373
I was always under the impression that keys with clear legends were not doubleshot but inserts where the legend is placed into the key rather than the key was formed with the legend and background as one. I think the issue with all the advice we were giving you is we assumed you meant clear keys but as I think about the title I realize that you actually want keys looking like a Ducky Shining but in Dvorak. In my opinion this may be the hardest thing to find in the history of things to find because the demand for Dvorak, on a Shining, would be so low that it would be hard for Ducky or any other company to pull a profit producing them.
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot to buy a set already made, which is why I'm considering custom made keycaps.
Unless you can buy a set of keys with clear legends, but all with the same angles, so it wouldn't matter how you arranged them.....

The thing is though, even if it does end up being expensive, one could weigh that against how long you end up keeping them.
Double shot keys would last forever basically, and I could potentially put them on any new backlit keyboard I wanted with cherry MX switches

If you get something you consider perfect to begin with, and never have to replace it/them, even a high expense could be worth it in that you only have to buy it once.
That's probably the same reasoning many people get mechanical keyboards.

Offline N8N

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 15:08:27 »
maybe get a used TG3 board?
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 15:15:11 »
Quote from: N8N;435524
maybe get a used TG3 board?
You mean a Deck Legend? Actually, I already have one of those. I've even put the keycaps from the Deck onto my Ducky Shine, in dvorak layout.
They look kind of inconsistent though (height, angle compared to the Ducky's own keys), and I'd prefer a font more like what the Ducky Shine comes with (Arial?). But at least the angles are consistent (all flat).

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 08:56:04 »
Quote from: Apokalipse;435274

I'm not sure what that means, other than being an anagram of dorkvader
I am sure it's that, or he meant it as a portmanteau of "dvorak" and "dorkvader". "Dvorakder" I never noticed that before, though.

Anyway, the WASD thing looks like it won't work out. He says he can't do them properly, which makes sense, especially given the cost of equipment.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23023-Estimated-Timeline-for-New-Products

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 14:02:33 »
Yeah, I contacted WASD about it and this was their response:
We are unable to do any backlit keys and unfortunately, do not have any plans to produce them due to a limitation in the marking process. Backlit keys should be coated with a protective layer after they are lasered to make them durable. We do not have the equipment to perform that last step.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Thank you.

Though I did stumble upon the TG3 keyboard N8N was talking about (not the Deck Legend) in another thread, and then found I can buy one on ebay for $100 including postage to Australia (says they're new even).
Looks like the keys themselves are the same type as the Deck, but with a different font (Arial or similar, instead of whatever Deck uses, maybe Papyrus or something)
Which kinda makes sense, since Deck is a subsidiary of TG3.

I may decide to get the custom keycaps from Signature Plastics, even though they'll be expensive (near $300 for a 46 key set)
I wish the could do double shot with transparent legends though.
But my Ducky Shine's existing keycaps appear to be painted on transparent plastic anyway, the same way Signature Plastics does their backlit keys.

Offline N8N

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 14:27:03 »
yes that was my reasoning behind recommending a TG3 rather than deck... font is less offensive but the keycaps are still flat so you can rearrange them however you like and it will still look OK.  Someone here was selling used ones a while back but they're probably all gone.  I don't know if TG3/Deck will sell just keycaps or not; ISTR reading somewhere but I can't find it that they were actually made by SP but I don't know if SP is allowed to sell them to anyone else.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 19:23:53 »
Quote from: Apokalipse;436261
Yeah, I contacted WASD about it and this was their response:

Though I did stumble upon the TG3 keyboard N8N was talking about (not the Deck Legend) in another thread, and then found I can buy one on ebay for $100 including postage to Australia (says they're new even).
Looks like the keys themselves are the same type as the Deck, but with a different font (Arial or similar, instead of whatever Deck uses, maybe Papyrus or something)
Which kinda makes sense, since Deck is a subsidiary of TG3.

I may decide to get the custom keycaps from Signature Plastics, even though they'll be expensive (near $300 for a 46 key set)
I wish the could do double shot with transparent legends though.
But my Ducky Shine's existing keycaps appear to be painted on transparent plastic anyway, the same way Signature Plastics does their backlit keys.

If the route you choose to take is through SP I advise that you go ahead and create a group buy so that the cost of setup is absorbed across 25 or so orders.

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 16:36:16 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;436426
If the route you choose to take is through SP I advise that you go ahead and create a group buy so that the cost of setup is absorbed across 25 or so orders.
Do you think having a higher volume of keycaps would drop the price of each 46-key set from the $210.68 significantly? (excluding the $75 setup cost)

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 18:12:43 »
Quote from: Apokalipse;436914
Do you think having a higher volume of keycaps would drop the price of each 46-key set from the $210.68 significantly? (excluding the $75 setup cost)

Yes. SP is a manufacturer and because of this they love selling in bulk. A prime example of this is in single key 1.0x sized. Starting out, at 25ct, they are $4 a piece. By the time you hit 100ct they are dropped down to the $1.44-1.70 range. With larger kits they do the same but not at the same percentile; expect it at a 25ct order each kit, counting the setup cost, would be about ~$40 to $30. That is my guess based on previous kits but it should be in that range. The biggest issue with this, however, is getting interest.

Luckily for you, however, Geekhack has a strong GroupBuy community found in the Marketplace. I would reccommend starting with an [Interest Check] to gauge whether or not people would be willing to participate.

Offline ducttape83

Re: dvorak backlit keycaps for cherry MX (Ducky Shine)
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 09:35:51 »
I'm sorry to be bumbping an 18 month old thread, but I'm also in the market for a backlit keyboard with dvorak layout, and nearly every google search kept sending me back here.  So I'd figure I'd register and see if any new developments have occured in the last 18 months as far as dvorak keycaps on ducky shines.  Alternatively, I'm willing to try for a group buy if we can get some people together.