Author Topic: Choosing the second mechanical D:  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Choosing the second mechanical D:
« on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 06:25:13 »
Despite having just received my Filco MJ2 Ninja brown small 2 weeks ago, I feel intrigued to get yet another mechanical (this is the "problem" every geekhacker has?).
I'm especially looking in the direction of a TKL, more specifically the Choc Mini. So there's a few questions I want to ask/discuss;

Any other board you would recommend I take hold of, before this? I have read a good chunk of reviews about it, and it seems it just draws me closer each time I read about it.
I'm especially drawn by the price-tag, I wouldn't go invest $200~ for another keyboard just yet, but the $100 I can grab the Choc for, seems like a very good deal !
I also like the layout of it, almost being used to using my 10" netbooks keyboard, I believe it will feel somewhat natural to me.

Which switch would you suggest I get it with? As mentioned, I already have browns, and I do like them quite a bit.
Should I get a Choc with browns as well, or do you think it would be best to try other switches first?
I'm not too big of a fan of the noise blues do (One of my friends has a BW). I also like the tactility of the browns, and I will likely be doing a lot of typing on it, so linears could end up giving me bogus?
I do game some, but lately, I have been doing more coding (websites) than gaming, and if I bring it with me to school (which is more than likely that I will), that is what it will be used for as well, so gaming is surely something it will be tested for, but perhaps not primarily used for (depending on how I like it for it, obviously).

Please help me either save my wallet, or torture it, for the sake of my fingers =3
I like cats.

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 06:34:22 »
First you should get full Cherry switch collection, brown/black/red/blue. Since you already like brown, chance you will like red and blue. There are so many brands, choose Filco for excellent quality or another for diversity.

Second, you must get an old IBM model M or modern Unicomp. Some other old keyboards are also worth collecting, such as Dell AT101W or Compaq MX 11800.

Third, if you got some money left in your bank account, then definitely try to get a $300 Topre board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2011, 06:38:03 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline N8N

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 07:15:37 »
if you like the browns and don't like the click of blues, you might want to check out a board with clears...   can get a Leopold TKL with clears for $109 plus shipping right now, I'm anxiously awaiting mine.

Alternately, you could pick up a cheap board with blacks just to try linear, but honestly, I find them kind of meh.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Clickey

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 08:40:49 »
If you find blues annoying and don't like linears, you only have 2 options in cherries, Clears or Ergo Clears. You sound like you would be a perfect ergo clear candidate.

You may want to try a model m if you don't want to spend much yet, because they feel uniquely awesome and can get them quite cheap ($30 shipped).
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 10:17:01 »
you don't' like the way blues sound? that eliminates them.
you like browns? that's cool
you want more tactile? try whites
you hate the way whites feel? (the spring sucks imo)
mod to ergo whites
you want to try no tactile? all linear
red or blacks,your choice depending on force required.

ibm model m is a must.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 11:58:18 »
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely be looking to get hold of a Model M, but I want to pick up a smaller keyboard (TKL) as my second, and then perhaps get the Model M as a third.

It seems to be going towards either Clears or Reds currently. As I haven't really tried a linear switch, I can't say whether I like it or not, I suppose what I stated in the OP was related to the spring in the black. I've read several places that it's not too pleasant to type on in the long run, due to the additional force required.

Which of the switches would you recommend for starters?
I like cats.

Offline flyball

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 12:01:48 »
Quote from: Zifle;436766
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely be looking to get hold of a Model M, but I want to pick up a smaller keyboard (TKL) as my second, and then perhaps get the Model M as a third.

It seems to be going towards either Clears or Reds currently. As I haven't really tried a linear switch, I can't say whether I like it or not, I suppose what I stated in the OP was related to the spring in the black. I've read several places that it's not too pleasant to type on in the long run, due to the additional force required.

Which of the switches would you recommend for starters?
any of them. read the wiki on switches and make an informed decision.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 23:20:26 »
Personally, I'd say you should try something that isn't cherry after owning one and having seen/used another at least some. Although it's harder to find tenkeyless not cherry.

As to if you'd like linear, those are literally just pushing a spring down and they increase in force gradually like a spring would. It's not really difficult to imagine what they'd be like.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline HWI

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 23:44:12 »
I'd get a Choc Mini w/ reds if I was in your shoes.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline duncan

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 01:36:31 »
You seem to have decided to get a Noppoo Choc Mini and are seeking suggestions about which switch to try.

Is that right?

If it is right, then the majority of the advice you are getting is useless.
If it is not right then you could improve the chances of getting better answers by asking clearer questions.

If you do want a Noppoo and you are unsure about a linear switch and you like the weight and tactile feel of browns then the answer is simple. Get a Noppoo with browns.

People are suggesting the heavier Clear switch because it is cool to say you have a clear board but do you want keys that are harder to press? You say you like the feel of browns so is there a reason to think you'd like a heavier key? And would you like a different tactile profile (bigger bump for longer period) over what you are used to? You will only know by trying but what if you hate it? Are you happy with $100 experiments? If you were comfortable with that I kinda doubt you'd be asking for our advice but would have already bought a red switch board and be able to know if that was 'in' our 'out' for you.

Suggesting that you start modding switches to get Ergo Clears on your second board is asking a lot of you and i'd suggest not doing it until you have  bit more experience of what you really want. Again, cool to talk about but not that cool to do unless you are intent on going hardcore.

Blues are out due to noise.
Red's are out due to liking tactile.

So get the Noppoo with Browns and you know you'll be fairly happy. You will also have the config easiest to resell if you decide you do want to go hardcore later and get rid of this board.

Anyway, that's what I seem to understand from your, not super clear, question.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 05:16:48 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 05:07:41 »
I personally like clears a lot, this may have come from using blacks for many years.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 06:10:56 »
Thanks for you suggestions, you're right, Duncan, I have pretty much settled on getting the Choc Mini, I was more so asking if any of you knew a better alternative, with a somewhat similar layout (I love the one on the Choc). I realize I wasn't really too clear about it.

As for the switches, I do really like my browns, but I feel like I'll be missing out if I don't try another switch, to compare on. It doesn't seem like it will be possible to grab a choc with clears, so it will have to be either reds or browns. I might end up going with the reds, mostly to try out something different.
I like cats.

Offline duncan

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 16:44:12 »
I think you'll find a Red Choco Mini to be a nice addition to your toolbox of keyboards.

Nicely chosen!

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 17:55:32 »
to me the choc mini has its problems. I considered buying one but too many things that just werent right.

Offline HWI

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 18:58:22 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;437586
to me the choc mini has its problems. I considered buying one but too many things that just werent right.
Such as?
Bottom Out Like A Boss

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 19:34:22 »
Quote from: HWI;437618
Such as?
layout is not as good it could be (if you read the comments on the review youll see the concerns), the half height key caps, the non replaceable spacebar, the awkward compatibility with operating systems.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2011, 20:39:45 by TheProfosist »

Offline HWI

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 20:38:44 »
I like the layout of it a lot. Really, the only thing I dislike about it is that it has some non-standard sized keys, so you can't replace all the keycaps with custom ones. So I'm with you on the non-replaceable space bar, but the keycaps aren't that much shorter, so that's not too big a deal to me. I suppose the 10 people that use OSX and the 3 people that use Linux may be a bit annoyed that it's designed for the better OS.
Bottom Out Like A Boss

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 20:40:46 »
Quote from: HWI;437671
I like the layout of it a lot. Really, the only thing I dislike about it is that it has some non-standard sized keys, so you can't replace all the keycaps with custom ones. So I'm with you on the non-replaceable space bar, but the keycaps aren't that much shorter, so that's not too big a deal to me. I suppose the 10 people that use OSX and the 3 people that use Linux may be a bit annoyed that it's designed for the better OS.
I think they made some unwise decisions with the layout and it could be better. That turned me away a bit but when I found out that replacing the keys wouldnt happen ever I stopped looking at it.

Offline Bongoojingie

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 21:24:13 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;437673
I think they made some unwise decisions with the layout and it could be better. That turned me away a bit but when I found out that replacing the keys wouldnt happen ever I stopped looking at it.

I personally would like to try the layout, I've heard nice things from gamers have a very close function row.  But I agree 100% that the lack of keycaps has kept me away so far.

To the OP:  I've seen a lot of comparisons between the Poker and the Choc Mini, so that may be another option but I have neither, so take it for what it's worth.  As for switch color, I personally wouldn't be able to have the self control to stick with a single switch.  Try something else ;)  Sounds like you're hooked.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 22:08:32 »
Quote from: Bongoojingie;437691
I personally would like to try the layout, I've heard nice things from gamers have a very close function row.  But I agree 100% that the lack of keycaps has kept me away so far.

To the OP:  I've seen a lot of comparisons between the Poker and the Choc Mini, so that may be another option but I have neither, so take it for what it's worth.  As for switch color, I personally wouldn't be able to have the self control to stick with a single switch.  Try something else ;)  Sounds like you're hooked.
yea their compared because their both compact keyboards. I wouldnt advise the poker for gaming as you have to hit Fn to get to the F keys.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 01:58:47 »
I share some of your concerns, mostly about the keycaps.
The layout is basically what got me hooked on the board, to me it seems to be near perfect, with the dedicated arrows (This is something I very much dislike about the Poker), the media keys, it all just seems so perfect to me :3

As far as I know, the choc works pretty much without flaws on linux (except for caps and scroll lock I believe?), and I'm not concerned about mac, as it's not my system of choice.

So as it stands, I will be going for the choc with red switches.
A little off-topic, but has anyone here found a good way to transport their keyboard? I've been reading a couple of threads on the board, but it doesn't seem like anyone has found a definite solution that would suit me. Mostly, I'm looking for a backpack (although I wouldn't mind a messenger bag too much) with room for my laptop, keyboard, and extra papers. Would be appreciated if any of you have a good solution that would fit me =)
I like cats.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 02:06:26 »
Quote from: Zifle;437827
I share some of your concerns, mostly about the keycaps.
The layout is basically what got me hooked on the board, to me it seems to be near perfect, with the dedicated arrows (This is something I very much dislike about the Poker), the media keys, it all just seems so perfect to me :3

As far as I know, the choc works pretty much without flaws on linux (except for caps and scroll lock I believe?), and I'm not concerned about mac, as it's not my system of choice.

So as it stands, I will be going for the choc with red switches.
A little off-topic, but has anyone here found a good way to transport their keyboard? I've been reading a couple of threads on the board, but it doesn't seem like anyone has found a definite solution that would suit me. Mostly, I'm looking for a backpack (although I wouldn't mind a messenger bag too much) with room for my laptop, keyboard, and extra papers. Would be appreciated if any of you have a good solution that would fit me =)
I posted a thread about transporting keyboards when I was looking into a tenkeyless for school. Someone mentioned that they just stuck the Leopold in it's packaging and threw it in their backpack and that worked for them. I did the same with very little trouble. It was a bit of a tight fit, but not too bad. You'll probably have better luck with a Choc Mini. I have pretty standard Jansport backpack, with 3 pockets (technically 4, but one is only really good for thin things). I imagine most bags will be able to transport one with little trouble. As a chess player, I may also look into getting a chess travel bag, which was another pitched idea, and I will report back on how that works out. Mainly because if it doesn't, I have a sweet chess travel bag.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 02:20:52 »
There are a few options for transportation your options would probably be a leopold case or a Razer Keyboard Bag.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 22:30:38 »
If you wanna look for backpacks that should fit all this extra crap in well, I'd look at ones designed for being able to carry 17" screen laptops.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 04:40:46 »
Thanks for the input on transportation, I'll try to use the package first and see where it gets me.
I like cats.