Author Topic: Contemplations of a new keyboard...  (Read 3567 times)

Offline RogueThunder

Contemplations of a new keyboard...
« on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:14:50 »
Hello folks! You folks are madmen and crazed otaku. I salute you... (This whole sentence is a complement from me...)

So anyway ;p
Current keyboard hit its end of life... and I'm a bit of a gamer... and well. Computer Engineering student(though not into the fun classes yet...), Japanophiliac... Well. The list goes on but XD...

Anyway. My old keyboard is a Logicool Ultra-Flat Dark-Shine...
Logicool being the Japanese branch of Logitech
(Lol, yeah, appernetly Logitech was a taken name in Japan already...)
Its very similar to its more common Logitech counterpart... Except the "tilda" key, and three additional keys where a large chunk of the spacebar would be. Well. And some chunks of the layout other than numbers and letters. The funny kanji filled keys are. Well actually I still don't know what one of them does, but the other 3 make Japanese input REALLY easy. But anyway.

I tend toward lighter touch keyboards(With the odd exception of my last keyboard... which is just strange). I imagine from my reading that were I to go cherries it would be either Reds or Browns that would suit me... Though Topre sound nice too. I know that some laptops are deceptively 2light" touch(aka actually quite firm), I was a laptop user for over 7 years though already (XD and Im only 23!) and well. My last laptops keyboard was mindbogglingly light even for a laptop. I liked it--other than the entire computers horrible durability all around. (Feck you Sony.) I notably find my current ultralight (an ol Libretto L5, I was so proud to see the Libretto 50 in your wiki under an example xD tho I guess that model WAS sold outside Japan unlike my L5)

My current keyboards in use are around these key-press weights:
(or well, in use until yesterday when the ultra-slims space-bar started giving out)
Logitech Ultra-Flat: 73.5G (Reacts the moment its actually depressed at all tho. Makes typing on it... weird but pleasant. Internals is some kind of dome or membrane... Mechanisms cover is plastic welded on...)
Libretto L5: 60G right on the freaking mark. (Tho I suppose the keyboard was "for" a Protege 3400... XD Same part tho.)

I find the latter to be a bit too firm. Hilariously I've been typing on the prior for 2 years and find it feels much nicer... and lighter compared to the L5. I suppose its since ALL 70+g are front-loaded, and past that it takes only a little over 30g to hold the key down... or even to depress the key past the first 1/4...

I like my keyboards non-clicky. Nuf said.
I absolutely despise keyboards that have issues if you press the key off center. Even more so I hate island/chicklet keyboards.
I like lower travels, my Sony had especially tiny travel and was a dream to type on. The logitech I just wore out has fairly low travel. The libretto L5 actually has HIGH travel for a laptop in my experience... and it annoys me slightly.
I need a numpad since I play roguelikes alot still, and roguelikes without a numpad are kinda like a fps on a touchpad. Weird, hard to learn, and yick.
I do rather need a Japanese layout... One of my two majors is Japanese and the Kanji/Kana switch buttons are incredibly useful. Not to mention I have been meaning to learn direct kana input mode... (which from what I have ascertained many Japanese don't bother learning over romanji input mode but oh well xD)

... I have possibly considered building my own keyboard.
I have soldering and pcb related skills... and both a soldiering iron and heatgun(built it myself!)... Used to work on laptops, and the occational cellphone.

I am sadly, being a college student, on a college student budget... So while I'd like something better. Might have to settle lower.

Anyway... any thoughts? ideas? tangents? tribulations? tribbles? BFGs?

Also. Kumquat. That is all.

Offline flyball

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:21:38 »
welcome to geekhack. read the wiki
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:39:46 »
yea, read the wiki
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RogueThunder

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:52:36 »
*raises eyebrow* I believe it would be evident I browsed the wiki a fair bit before posting... Hence. Y'know. Having utilized nickles(and after realizing I didn't have enough nickles looking up the weight of dimes and using my enormous wealth of dimes...) to test what Ive been using lately... Knowing what a red/brown switch is and that I ~think~ I might like em...

Reminds me... Any ideas on places I might be able to try out various kinds? I AM in San Jose... So. If anywhere in California...

:P Infact, your wiki is how I found this site. Was looking for info on building ones own keyboard. Must say, some juicy info ON said wiki for certain vital parts involved. XD...

Offline pitashen

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:54:40 »
wiki please.

And your post is too long to read. Sorry.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:56:18 »
wikiiiiiiiii
AF | Ducky YOTD |

fossala

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 03:40:35 »
Rosewills boards are good on a budget. They cost $99 and have smiler build quality to Leopold and filco. You need to find out if you like tactile (browns) or linear (reds). Either one would be a good starter board and you can "grow" from there.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 03:50:08 »
Japanese layout wil be the major hurdle. Ask ripster, hes been to japan and should be able to give you some options of what is available there / easily ordered.
If you are interested in something a bit "vintage" I would recommend this board for sale by sixty over at DT:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1060
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 05:58:24 »
How much is your budget? Usually you have to spend around 100-150 USD + shipping expense to get a decent mech keyboard.

What is your layout? Most mech keyboard have US layout only.

Where are you from? Keyboard price depends on that.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline RogueThunder

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 06:03:07 »
*chuckles* Trick is finding Japanese products you can get your hands on here in the USA. Ive been over there too, actually bought my just-dieing keyboard there in person in Den-Den Town (Osaka's version of Akihabara. Better for some odd parts imo.). Sadly. No foreseeable me going over there.

Will give him a prod tho. Never know. And yeah, I figured it'd be a bit of a hurdle. Hence my thoughts on possibly going the insane route of building my own board. Could just program the layout proper then ^.^...
... Already found some possible good salvage targets for switches reading through countless threads on these forums. Suppose the caps could get a touch tricky tho without paying an arm and a leg.

<.< For those who somehow cant handle my relatively small wall of text...
  • I like light touch, non-clicky keyboards, with numpads.
  • Reds and browns sound appealing, but I have no experience. As do Topre...
  • I tend toward thinner profile keyboards, often with low travel. (See the Logitech ik-40ds)
  • I am looking for a Japanese layout board... but am in the USA
<.< *mumbles* Wikiflies. The sound flies hereby makes is "wiki"...

Quote from: Tony;439672
How much is your budget? Usually you have to spend around 100-150 USD + shipping expense to get a decent mech keyboard.

What is your layout? Most mech keyboard have US layout only.

Where are you from? Keyboard price depends on that.
Budget... I might be able to swing 100-150$. But that'd require knowing I at-least like the board a fair bit. XD I hilariously already own a Model M... But its the opposite of my preference... And 350mi away in storage. :P Right with the IBM 386 it belongs with.

Gack, I guessed so much. My current layout I'm used to is Jpn109 QWERTY... Though I can still type fine on US keyboards the extra keys they have are... handy for my uses.

... am in San Jose, CA... In the USA. Zi heart of Silicone Valley!... Where we don't use our electronic signboards to say when the next train is coming... O.o

Edit: Hmmm. Corsair K60 looks interesting. Wonder how soon well see some decent reviews on it :3 I bet with a little deal skimming it could get nicely under 100$. Albeit... no Japanese layout.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 07:43:20 »
Go by jpm804's house. He's got lots of keyboards for you to try. He may charge you by the hour.
Keyboardless

Offline popol

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 08:17:27 »
Go for a big ass enter key keyboard.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 10:20:26 »
The JIS layout Filco might be a good board for you.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 11:50:30 »
Quote from: RogueThunder;439674
  • I tend toward thinner profile keyboards, often with low travel. (See the Logitech ik-40ds)

Is not being low profile a deal killer for you? Coz it is pretty impossible for MX Switches keyboard to be as thin as those using scissor switches like Logitechs. If the profile is not a major concern for you, I guess filco will do the job.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 12:23:05 »
Quote from: mmmty;439698
Go by jpm804's house. He's got lots of keyboards for you to try. He may charge you by the hour.

Did some someone call my name =P

Welcome 2 GH.... nice to see another fellow san jose person on these boards..

You might want to think of maybe a ML switch board if you are looking for something like a scissor switch type board.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline RogueThunder

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 13:11:21 »
Quote from: pitashen;439796
Is not being low profile a deal killer for you? Coz it is pretty impossible for MX Switches keyboard to be as thin as those using scissor switches like Logitechs. If the profile is not a major concern for you, I guess filco will do the job.
Quote from: jpm804;439815
Did some someone call my name =P

Welcome 2 GH.... nice to see another fellow san jose person on these boards..

You might want to think of maybe a ML switch board if you are looking for something like a scissor switch type board.

My now half-spacebarless Logitech keyboard actually isn't scissor switch based. Mmmm, now where the crap is my camera. The keys have a nice design for dome/membrane.
Ugh I hate trying to clean scissor switch keyboards.

But yes. I do see the ML. Those might indeed be a match. They also seem to be similar to reds/browns of the MX type other than in depth.

Quote from: popol;439703
Go for a big ass enter key keyboard.
Ha. Ha. Ha. I do actually like my rotated-L enter key... Though its actually not as wide as a normal enter key. (Has an extra key located in the home row, but eats the key above the enter key into the enter key.)

Quote from: lysol;439732
The JIS layout Filco might be a good board for you.
Mmmm. Might be hard to track down in the USA for a resonable price. But yeah, not too far off what I'm looking for. Reminds me a great deal of the old basic logitech fullsizes... Which despite being full travel I somewhat liked the feel of. Course. They had HORRIBLE problems if you tried to press more than 1 modifier and 2 keys or 2 modifiers and one key... But then again they cost 8$.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 19:43:31 »
Otaku (おたく / オタク) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, hentai, manga, or video games.

Source: Wikipedia

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Source: Urban Dictionary

Offline nar

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 16:32:31 »
You might like the short throw topres. They have lower travel distance as you might imagine (Though not that much lower) and the weighting is 55g (It says 45g but people have tested it and it's around 55g). Plus they use JIS input. I too love short travel so I got a Topre HE0100 from Taobao. Cost me only just a bit over $100 shipped. Can't comment on the direct kana stuff though, like many I stick with romanji input :p

Also trying to get stuff from Japan to the US (or Canada in my case) is not too hard or expensive if you know where to look.
Rakuten is a good source, some of the stores there will ship internationally and you can use forwarders for the rest. I know Rakuten right now has a promo with Tenso (a forwarder, I don't use it but a lot of my friends do) to limit shipping cost to 1000 Yen,.
That way you can pretty much order any keyboard from Japan and you pretty much only need to pay the actual japanese price + some international shipping.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline RogueThunder

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 17:06:35 »
Quote from: nar;440714
You might like the short throw topres. They have lower travel distance as you might imagine (Though not that much lower) and the weighting is 55g (It says 45g but people have tested it and it's around 55g). Plus they use JIS input. I too love short travel so I got a Topre HE0100 from Taobao. Cost me only just a bit over $100 shipped. Can't comment on the direct kana stuff though, like many I stick with romanji input :p

Also trying to get stuff from Japan to the US (or Canada in my case) is not too hard or expensive if you know where to look.
Rakuten is a good source, some of the stores there will ship internationally and you can use forwarders for the rest. I know Rakuten right now has a promo with Tenso (a forwarder, I don't use it but a lot of my friends do) to limit shipping cost to 1000 Yen,.
That way you can pretty much order any keyboard from Japan and you pretty much only need to pay the actual japanese price + some international shipping.

Mmm, thanks for the suggestions. The HE0100 has one major drawback for me. I *love* my numpad for certain things...
Thanks for the note about the promo with Tenso and Rakuten... Ill look into that. Might help bring down the price of importing another of my ol logitech over while I gather more funds for something more... Impressive.

I'm seriously thinking about going full custom here xD... The fun of being a CE major. Seems like alot of fun.
Anyone know some models that can be picked up cheaply that feature reds or preferably browns? I don't mind doing some... salvage :3...

Also. Sorry to hear that some of you have had the term "Otaku" used so derogatorily on you. Didn't mean it that way... or at-least not to any degree of seriousness. Really its a close analog to the English term "geek"... It really can be used both ways. Its meaning is becoming softer over the years as that of Geek has in english. Few would consider being called a Computer Geek an insult most of the time anymore...
Urban Dictonary only really covers the derogative use of Otaku. It is also used to refer to situations such as unusual interest and knowledge in an unusual subject. Closer to what Wikipedia says--tho thats still a bit off. Such as say. Keyboards. There's actually a notably different term for referring to "someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)" which is NEET. Though the two are sadly often strongly associated with each other. (Not an uncommon flaw to UD tho I suppose)

Quote from: ripster;439909
You're welcome.

But don't call me Otaku.  I hate that word that Elitekeyboards trolled Geekhack with.
(Attachment Link) 30040[/ATTACH]
Geh! Don't associate those crazies with your average Otaku(by the Americanized meaning, referring to Anime/Manga/ect fans) either! There's a reason there are guides to not being a *expletive withheld* cosplaying. I seriously wish that such obvious items were not occasionally necessary to even tell people...

Offline RogueThunder

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 00:16:11 »
Ill probobly know alot better soon. The westcoast tester numpad is en route to me so Ill be finding out a bit which feels nice and doesn't offend my ears xD
Though, I referance my second post for a less wall-o-text verison of what I'm looking for. Or. Think I am anyway. Though I'm considering going salvage-n-hack as it sounds like a ton of fun XD...
Quote from: RogueThunder;439674
<.< For those who somehow cant handle my relatively small wall of text...
Budget... I might be able to swing 100-150$. But that'd require knowing I at-least like the board a fair bit. XD I hilariously already own a Model M... But its the opposite of my preference... And 350mi away in storage. :P Right with the IBM 386 it belongs with.