Author Topic: Leopold clears, first impression coming from Filco browns  (Read 1530 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Leopold clears, first impression coming from Filco browns
« on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 16:16:19 »
So I finally got a chance to type on my clears... very interesting.  I don't bottom out on these and don't want to.  The browns I do bottom out on and prefer it that way.  On the clears my speed is up but my accuracy is down (for now).  It'll be interesting to see whether the accuracy picks up from getting used to the stiffer springs.

The Cherry stabilizers are a little odd.  I'm wondering if what I am noticing has more to do with a little variation in the switches than with the stabilizers.  My shifts and caps lock seem to be lighter than any other key.  My space bar seems to have less distance to bottom, post activation.  I think I might have fewer dropped spaces if the stabilizer were Costar.  The other stabilized keys I have not had mistakes with.

I don't think I'm going to want to game on this KB.  The lighter browns are a win here for less stress on my fingers.

I've been considering trying ergo clears for some time now, even have the stems for it.  After typing on real clears I'm even more undecided on whether to go through all the trouble to try it.  A light clear might be nice but I don't know if it would be good as light as a brown.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 16:40:52 »
Hmm, thanks for the impression. I had been wanting to try clears, so any information is nice.

Offline limniscate

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 16:57:51 »
I just got my Leopold TKL Clears and am coming from a SteelSeries 6Gv2 with Blacks.  As of now, I think I prefer the blacks for typing and gaming, but I want to break in the clears some more.  I definitely like the clears better than the browns.

Offline scrubadub

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 18:32:56 »
Funny, I was actually thinking that I like the clears better for games and the browns for typing.

I like the idea of the ergo clears but am not going to go through the effort of de(re)-soldering.
Realforce 87UB45 & 87UW45, Leopold FC200 Red

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 18:39:00 »
Quote from: alaricljs;441930
I've been considering trying ergo clears for some time now, even have the stems for it.  After typing on real clears I'm even more undecided on whether to go through all the trouble to try it.  A light clear might be nice but I don't know if it would be good as light as a brown.

IMHO clears > ergo clears > browns, but obviously YMMV.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 20:10:26 »
I'd probably prefer clears, too, but I also prefer my unicomp to browns for typing. (not gaming, though)

Reds are quickly growing on me for typing.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 21:24:06 »
I found the same thing with bottoming out with my Cherry clear board, I just didn't!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc