Author Topic: back to model M  (Read 2585 times)

Offline davin

back to model M
« on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 17:43:15 »
Well Guys and Girls,

I recently switched back to my model M, for home use;
I have to get used to it again, as it is quite heavy typing, compared to mx blue or topre switches.

Cause i am on mac, it's a nice trick to have everything still working via some software mods.(pckeyboardhack)

I used the matias, but somehow i noticed the ghosting and the wobbliness of the keyboard; i tried my filco now and then, but i wanted something more solid euh...
I still had my IBM model out there so why not use it for a while, ;P

I hope people still use their Model M's, let me know.

Regards,

Davin

Offline slueth

back to model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 17:53:22 »
I am using a model m ssk.  It feels so solid and I don't think its all that heavy.   I like it more then any cherry switch.  When I want a smooth actuation(fps) I go to either a cherry red or topre.  Cherry blues are fun but gets annoying/cheap fast. If I could only have one keyboard I would go with a keyboard with buckling springs.

Offline wompwomp

back to model M
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 18:09:55 »
Damn, if someone created a tenkeyless (not like the SSK how it still has a semi big frame) buckling sprngs keyboard in black with slightly lighter springs AND with NKRO AND a removable cable AND media keys AND backlighting AND it came with rubberized replacement WASD keycaps AND it came with a red ESC keycap AND 13 usb ports in it....

My god...

Offline slueth

back to model M
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 18:13:14 »
That is asking too much :/  I would be glad if they made tenkeyless layout cheap and affordable.  I told battlesheep (the cmstorm guy) that it would be awesome to have one but I didn't hear about it.  Probably only in our dreams.

Offline Pretendo

back to model M
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 19:05:02 »
Just switched back to my Model M after reading this thread :D.  The IBM buckling spring keyboard strikes me as a programmer's keyboard, where there is more emphasis on symbols and arithmetic rather than forming words.  Key presses seem to stand out more individually when I type on an M.  Blues seem to be better for writing and creative work.  Key presses on a cherry blue board seem to flow into one another.

Both are excellent designs.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline flyball

back to model M
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 19:06:54 »
Quote from: wompwomp;442937
Damn, if someone created a tenkeyless (not like the SSK how it still has a semi big frame) buckling sprngs keyboard in black with slightly lighter springs AND with NKRO AND a removable cable AND media keys AND backlighting AND it came with rubberized replacement WASD keycaps AND it came with a red ESC keycap AND 13 usb ports in it....

My god...
you are in luck (not really)! http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?3925-Unicomp-breaking-news!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TacticalCoder

back to model M
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 19:07:57 »
Quote from: davin;442920
Cause i am on mac, it's a nice trick to have everything still working via some software mods.(pckeyboardhack)

What kind of M do you have?  I haven't looked much into it but I did try my old IBM Model Ms on my Mac using the PS/2-to-USB "blue cube" and it seemed to work.

What are the hacks needed?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline theferenc

back to model M
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 19:28:41 »
It's more the issue of it being a 101 key layout. Personally, it isn't an issue for me since I just map caps->control, control->alt, alt->command, and I'm good to go. But that's almost identical to how I have it mapped everywhere else.

wompwomp, buy yourself an F AT and get to modding.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline wcass

back to model M
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 20:04:19 »
wompwomp, is this like what you are looking for? if it is still too big, i'm thinking my next mod might be to make a buckling spring HHKB. it would be too small for my taste, but i know this community would appreciate it.

i even dreamt up with a way to add diodes for NKey - haven't tested to see if it works yet though. yes on removable USB cable and USB hub.

Offline wompwomp

back to model M
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 31 October 2011, 23:03:18 »
^^ that's still a little big for my likings but better than a regular model m.

And you can convert a keyboard into buckling springs? =O

Offline wcass

back to model M
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 00:09:17 »
not convert - chop.

cut the back plate and barrel plate to size. make new membranes and controller. it will need a custom case - i'll likely need help for that.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
back to model M
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 00:18:55 »
Quote from: Pretendo;442976
Just switched back to my Model M after reading this thread :D.  The IBM buckling spring keyboard strikes me as a programmer's keyboard, where there is more emphasis on symbols and arithmetic rather than forming words.  Key presses seem to stand out more individually when I type on an M.  Blues seem to be better for writing and creative work.  Key presses on a cherry blue board seem to flow into one another.

Both are excellent designs.
Yeah, I really like how the keypresses stand out, distinct. I really don't mind the heavier feel, and use it daily. I also have a cherry brown (or red) at the same computer, which works out well. I use one for work, and one for everything else.

Also, Wcass, that's almost a square! crazy aspect ratio, still I rather like it.

Isn't there a super small one floating about? I saw a mysterious picture that ripster posted. It's smaller than Kishy's kishsaver. There's no information available.

There's also this one (hard to beat)
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/474394

Offline mich

back to model M
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 02:41:46 »
Quote from: dorkvader;443157
There's also this one (hard to beat)
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/474394
Yeah, I will buy it when I grow my third hand.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
back to model M
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 06:22:20 »
I'm using Model M SSK with my Mac. Honestly it's the best combination of sturdiness and overall size and weight. It feeds much more solid than Filco, and while original springs were a bit heavy, after replacing them with Unicomp's springs and putting only 14 nuts very lightly (after bolt mod) it's ultralight to type on - feels as light as MX Blue, a bit heavier than MX Brown. I've just measured it with RIPometer and it's 62g but it feels much less...
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2011, 06:29:38 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Daniel Beaver

back to model M
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 07:03:05 »
Hmmmmm.... model M.

I've been switching back and forth between my Model F and Model M SSK, and I'm actually beginning to prefer the M. Weird...

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline SBI

back to model M
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 08:34:35 »
I live in two places, and even though my Das Keyboard ist my daily driver, I use the Model M exclusively on weekends. My girl would kill me if I brought that with me though. Also, I'm totally happy hacking away on the Blues. Can't really put my finger on what I like better, but then again, I'm quite easy to please in that regard, as long as it has some kind of feedback while working.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2011, 10:57:32 by SBI »

Offline jonthan

back to model M
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 08:44:14 »
my god

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
back to model M
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 14:45:38 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;443241
Hmmmmm.... model M.

I've been switching back and forth between my Model F and Model M SSK, and I'm actually beginning to prefer the M. Weird...

I fully understand. I couldn't wait to get teensy adapter to make my Model F terminal to use it with my Mac. Then I used it for couple weeks and I switched back to Model M. I like the springy feel of Model F and the idea of it being capacitive switch, but it has big issue with ping (sorry i said that). I loved it at first but after few days of using it for 12 hours a day it really got on my nerves. Also due to age some springs are no longer sharp and you can't get brand new replacement spring as easily as with Model M. Last thing that irritated me was its size, it was really hard to fit on my desk, and regular Model F's layout would be a deal killer - I just couldn't use it with OS X. So for me there is only one advantage of Model F over Model M is the light springy feel, everything else are disadvantages. It would be lovely to have Model F with a layout of normal Model M SSK, but that's not gonna happen. For now I can emulate the feel of Model F with bolt modded Model M, with very only very few loose nuts and Unicomp's springs.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline davin

back to model M
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 14:54:17 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;442978
What kind of M do you have?  I haven't looked much into it but I did try my old IBM Model Ms on my Mac using the PS/2-to-USB "blue cube" and it seemed to work.

What are the hacks needed?

Well TactileCoder,

I use just a simple ps2 2 usb cable, it has 2 inputs to usb; comes with one access for keyboard and mouse, so if you still have a ps2 mouse somewhere you can still use it ;P ( have not tried it though, maybe will get IRQ probs or something)

Anyway... the keys..., for macosx there are these great little progs called pckeyboardhack and keyremap4macbook, found at
http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/extra.html

They work perfect ;) ( using leopard on g5)

I remapped my left ctrl to option, the left alt to command, the f3,f4 and f5 to volume control, and as f12 is double for eject and dashboard, it's all i need.
I am not doing the funny stuff yet like the spaces, but maybe later ;)

Well hope you have fun with the M, it's great typing on this thing again.

btw; i have an IBM lexmark version from 1994, manufact UK.

Regards, Davin