Author Topic: Alps Number Pad connector type  (Read 2682 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Alps Number Pad connector type
« on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 15:48:15 »
I got this nice little number pad with white Alps switches, but it has an odd connector.

Instead of USB, it looks like a stereo headphone jack, but is just a bit smaller.

What is this connector, and can I make it work with USB?

I can use a soldering iron but am mostly ignorant about circuitry. Step-by-step suggestions/instructions are very helpful.

It was made in Taiwan, but there is no brand and the serial number is blank.

Thanks!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30589[/ATTACH]
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 16:01:51 »
I dont think those are true ALPS. Do they bear the ALPS logo?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 16:25:25 »
Yes, they are branded Alps.

I used to have a couple of Northgate Omnikeys, as well as an Apple Extended Keyboard, and these switches are different.

The "ALPS" embossed marks are smaller than I remember, and the clips that hold the switch body are different on each side. I remember on the others that it was possible to put them in either way, I don't think you could do that here.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 20:06:47 »
Ah, ok... Well I don't know of the number pad specifically but an AIKON would be easy to drop in once I finish it, plus you could make it a macro pad instead of a number pad