Author Topic: Help! Cherry Blue, Brown or Buckling Spring for Typing  (Read 1281 times)

Offline KirbyLou

Help! Cherry Blue, Brown or Buckling Spring for Typing
« on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:09:52 »
Hello!

I am looking for guidance on which keyboard to purchase.  In terms of use, this is only typing, no gaming.  I have a history of carpal tunnel and wrist problems, so I would like to reduce wrist strain if possible, as well as minimize mistyping.

I have tried a Dell AT101, which is ok.  I like the clicky keys, but they feel a bit heavy... like I need to push too hard to depress them.

I am considering a keyboard with Cherry Browns, Chery Blues or a Customizer with Buckling Springs.  Noise is not an issue.

Any suggestions?

-K

fossala

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:19:11 »
Do not get Buckling springs if black alps (at101) are to heavy.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:30:23 »
MX Brown (minor tactile bump), MX Red (linear), and/or Topre (capacitive rubber dome, comes in different force varieties) might be to your taste if black ALPS is too stiff for your tastes.

I like tactility, so I favor buckling springs, MX Clears, and MX Blues, but I don't suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome or RSI, either.

Since you also seem to like the slight tactility that the black ALPS switch offers, MX Brown seems like a safe bet, and it's fairly common and relatively inexpensive, too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:32:38 by NamelessPFG »

Offline Feferi

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:34:01 »
I think you might like MX Red or Topre the best. Reds don't require much force to actuate. Topres feel like buttery smooth, solid rubber domes and once you learn to not bottom them out, typing becomes a lot more efficient.

I would go with MX Browns if you want that bit of tactility.
boards: leopold tkl otaku mx blue | realforce tkl 87u 45g
rig: intel core i7-990x 3.47ghz | 8 gb ddr3 ram | ati radeon 6870 1gb | haf x

Offline KirbyLou

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:36:19 »
Thanks for the responses thus far.

I like the tactile bump as well.

My concern about Topres is that they are expensive, no?  I was hoping to spend under $125 if possible.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:37:34 »
Consider more than just a different switch.  If you're typing on the same keyboard layout with lighter switches it's still the same repetitive stress just a little less of it.  It's very likely that it won't be a big enough change to help you.  There are a few threads around discussing the many ways of relieving RSI and they include changes to your entire work area (desk, monitor, chair, keyboard tray, keyboard, mouse) not just a new switch.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens