Author Topic: KVM Switch compatiblity with Mechanical Keyboards  (Read 8820 times)

Offline keplenk

KVM Switch compatiblity with Mechanical Keyboards
« on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:30:18 »
Hi all,

I just received my semi-custom WASD brown mechanical keyboard.  First of all, I'm truly impressed with this keyboard + company.  I feel like choosing brown switches was the right choice as my wife is still complaining! lol .. I was about the buy blue - which would be a nightmare for her :D

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is about KVM compatibility.  I have an IOGEAR 2-port USB KVM switch model # GCS22U and I was using it with my Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard + g9x mouse before.  It was working perfectly.  However, it is not working with my new WASD mechanical keyboard.  The mouse still works but the keyboard is like dead (no numlock light). I know its a cheap KVM switch but I was wondering if there is more compatible KVM that I can use to make this work with my setup (2 PCs)?

Or are KVM switches (in general) not really compatible with ALL mechanical keyboards?

BTW, I use my KVM switch just for mouse and keyboard.  I actually have two monitors for each of my omputers so I don't use the VGA video part of the KVM switch.  Is there a USB switch only (not including speakers/mic, vga ports - just USB) .. and will it work with mechanical keyboard too?  Like a KM switch(without the V)

Thanks!

Offline Gerk

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:41:43 »
I've never had a problem with KVM switches and mechanical keyboards.  Is that switch USB or PS/2?  I'm currently using a Monoprice 4 way switch and have used several mechanical boards on it without issue.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:43:58 »
How odd... I didn't think that WASD was doing anything interesting with the firmware.  Noppoo's with the NKRO over USB have had issues with some KVMs because they present as multiple keyboards.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline keplenk

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:50:03 »
Thanks for your reply.

I think I solved it but it is very weird how it worked.  I switched the mouse and keyboard ports of the KVM the other way around.  Meaning, I plugged in the USB WASD keyboard to the "mouse" port of the IOGear KVM switch and my G9X to the keyboard port of the KVM switch and it worked.  WTH?  Then I reconnected the devices to the right ports again, but WASD keyboard still didn't work but mouse works.  For some reason, the WASD keyboard wants to be connected to the mouse port instead of the keyboard port of the KVM switch.  Weird.

Thanks anyway guys :D

Offline Gerk

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:51:09 »
Might sound obvious, but have you tried power cycling the KVM?  A reboot of it might be in order if not ...
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline keplenk

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 November 2011, 12:56:24 »
Yes, I actually did that before doing the switching :D

This is one odd behavior of my KVM switch.

However, when I reconnected my x4 sidewinder (also tried it on my cheap $3 spare keyboard), both worked.  It seems that the WASD is the only one rejecting to be connected to the keyboard port of my KVM, it likes the mouse port better. lol

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 14:54:29 »
=does you kvm also have a small 2 port hub. when i used KVM switches I never had any luck with the specific keyboard and mouse ports I just used the hub and everything worked fine.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 19:40:41 »
Quote from: keplenk;444237
Yes, I actually did that before doing the switching :D

This is one odd behavior of my KVM switch.

However, when I reconnected my x4 sidewinder (also tried it on my cheap $3 spare keyboard), both worked.  It seems that the WASD is the only one rejecting to be connected to the keyboard port of my KVM, it likes the mouse port better. lol

Sounds like it might be a power thing.  The WASD might just want more power for it's controller than the cheapo keyboard and the KVM makers were skimpy with the power to the keyboard port.  Hard to say for sure at this point, but if you can make them work by swapping them around I guess it all works out in the end.