Author Topic: Regarding the Ducky 9000G2 (and black switches)  (Read 3318 times)

Offline RetroHollywood

Regarding the Ducky 9000G2 (and black switches)
« on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 07:42:09 »
My Rosewill RK-9000 is in a purgatorial state where it will be returned when I get a chance (living at university, no easy way to ship out) due to sticking and squeaky keys which cannot be fixed with a simple lube job.  With the holidays coming up, I figured I would get myself a more fully featured keyboard: a Ducky 9000G2.  I would probably order it from Tiger Imports on Amazon.  I am a bit apprehensive because:

-I have never used MX-Black switches before and am worried about how well they can be used for typing.  This keyboard will be used for a combination of gaming and typing papers.  
-Is Tiger Imports reliable?  Judging by their feedback it would seem so, but I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience.  
-Since they are built in the same factory as Filcos (so I understand), how is the build quality?  On my Rosewill it is decent, except for the keys and caps themselves it seems.

Thanks!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 07:51:37 »
Duckys are not made by Costar, they have their own OEM.  I have 2 9008s (with PBT caps) and they are really good keyboards.  I bought mine from Tankguys and PCHome.  You may also want to look into WASD keyboards.  They are very good as well, and I can tell you that you won't have to worry about squeaky keys from them.  They inspect and lube each 'board before it goes out, and the Semi-Custom is just $119.

Offline HWI

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 07:52:26 »
I may be wrong, but I didn't think Ducky keyboards were built by Costar like Filco keyboards are. The reason I thought this is because Ducky uses Cherry stabilizers, not Costar.

Edit: Ninja'd
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline RetroHollywood

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:31:15 »
I will inquire about the year of the rabbit edition.  I made a post earlier about finding one, so this may be a good chance if the OP would lower his price.  I really am a sucker for white electronics and special editions.  Any bad experiences with Duckies I should be warned about?

Offline SpaceAzn_Zen

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 22:46:29 »
What is the major difference between the Costar vs Cherry stabilizers?

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 22:50:08 »
Well I found the rabbit edition on PCHome for $144usd delivered.
But it's not black switches like you wanted, they do have brown or blue though.
I'm thinking about getting it, but I don't like how all the caps are blank though lol.
Maybe I'll get it then buy some new caps =S
Tip for navigating the site: use Chrome and it'll auto translate the site for you

Offline RetroHollywood

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 22:57:58 »
I'm not particularly concerned about what caps it has, actually.  I was more concerned about the quality of the board, because the last two I've purchased have been a little... "iffy".  I may want to go with the blue switches again, because I live alone and the noise is really soothing to me.  I know there is a purchasing guide on this site for PChome.  Any personal experience?  It would be my first electronics purchase that is not from newegg, elitekeyboards, or amazon.

EDIT: It looks as though PChome is out of stock right now ("Please quick replenishment, notify me of goods to").  The thread in the classified section has the rabbit edition accounted for.  It seems the special edition may elude me.

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 23:11:49 »
Well after reading though like 20 pages on the PCHome thread I didn't see anyone cry wolf so I'm going to assume it's safe because I can see a lot of people ordering it and not coming on here to complain about anything lol.
That and it's like the only online store that sells mechanical keyboards and had a reasonable shipping price to New Zealand, $10usd worldwide shipping is a god sent.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 00:19:30 »
Quote from: ripster;445519
I'm surprised nobody has identified the Ducky OEMs yet.    Back in The Day Geekhackers would open up their keyboards.
I thought they're made by Strongman, like Leopolds.

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 01:33:20 »
Okay so after another few hours of look at the same thing over an over again I've come down to 2 keyboards: Ducky DK9000G2 PBT mx brown ($140usd) and Ducky (unknown model, DK-9008?) PBT mixed switches ($110usd)
Would anyone happen to have any good insight on these 2 boards? I'm so excited to get a mechanical keyboard yet it's so hard to find definitive answers on these products that I get so frustrated over the whole thing haha
My guess is that the mystery board is a DK9008 without the G2 so would anyone happen to know what the G2 adds?

Thanks in advance for any advice =]

P.S RetroHollywood the limited editions are sold out =(

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 01:45:19 »
G2 = USB NKRO.
You won't find definitive answer on things that depend solely on personal preference.

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:00:48 »
If USB NKRO is the only difference between G2 an non-G2 then I think I'll go for the one that's $30 cheaper and get to try out all the different switches for myself =D (Black, Brown and Blue)
I'm starting to get really excited now, I'll get this find out what I prefer then next time I get a chance to get either a limited ed. or something out fancy with reasonably priced shipping I might change boards.

If only the DK9008 Shine had Cherry MX brown's I'd get that instead xD
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:04:21 by RenoFox »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:08:37 »
It IS brown.

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:22:24 »
Omg... You're right! I read blue tea axis and thought blue switches when really green axis is blue switches and tea-axis is brown switches. Wow all this bad translating is really getting confusing haha.
Well off to get me a back lit keyboard and look awesome!

Thanks laffindude for all the help, really appreciated it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:37:56 by RenoFox »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:29:46 »
You did your own homework :) Just mistranslation by the machine. BTW, you do realize it has bopomofo on the keys right?

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:42:47 »
Yea I noticed that. I hope it doesn't bother me that it has other characters on it lol.
From what I've read I'm guessing it'll have no impact on anything I'm actually doing right?
Also I've noticed it's very different from most other Chinese keyboards too as in it shows different characters =S

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 02:53:44 »
It is appearance only. The thing is that it may be hard to get replacement illuminated keys in case you decided it is too cluttered.
Other Taiwanese keyboards may have actual characters on them. They're for other input method. Phonetic is the easiest to remember, but also the slowest. But the keyboard itself is pretty much standard US keyboard with different keycaps.