Author Topic: Planning on buying a Das: am I doing it wrong?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline mcsnails

Planning on buying a Das: am I doing it wrong?
« on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:41:46 »
I was planning on buying a Das Model S ultimate Silent, and I was wondering if there is a flaw with this board that I don't know about.  I don't see many threads about their boards and was wondering if there is a problem with them.  Or maybe its just that Filcos are more elitist?  For the price point (~$100 after student discount) it seems like a pretty good deal.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:42:35 »
Only complaint I remember was how the damned shiny case is a dirt magnet.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline NumberJ

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:44:16 »
I'm pretty sure that Filcos and Das Keyboards are actually manufactured in the same plant. The only thing that really turns me away from the DAS is the super-glossy finish that turns the 'board into a fingerprint magnet.

Offline Wallach

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:46:18 »
Das S is a great full-size keyboard. As the guys above already said, the only complaint from folks regarding the Das S is that the glossy finish requires a bit more regular cleaning to look nice. Pretty minor complaint, and is a great board. If they ever consider doing a tenkeyless version in the future I might pick up another one.

Offline ZeroGraVT

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:59:43 »
For around that price point you can take a look at rosewill or a leopold if you don't want the glossy finish of the Das.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:28:59 »
Someone is not doing enough research. But then you don't want to over do it... newbs tend to freak themselves out for nothing from reading too much from OCN/Geekhack dsicussions...

DAS is a fine choice as long as you don't mind dealing withe the finger prints on their mirror finish surface.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline SBI

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:34:27 »
Finger prints are not really the big deal, dust is. But really, unless you're super-bugged by it, it's a great keyboard. I clean mine about once a week with the cloth that came with it. Of course you can see the dust, but meh. It's there anyway, and frankly, I don't look at my keyboard, which is the whole point. For the price, it's a good choice. And I think it's starting to grow on me, I kind of like the sleek and shiny look, even though I nearly didn't buy it at first.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 12:32:06 »
Cheap=good for starter. I don't own one because my board have been either free or very cheap. I love my boards, so if you're willing to go for it, go for it:)