Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire vs Filco Ninja Majestouch  (Read 9854 times)

Offline bckai

CM Storm Quickfire vs Filco Ninja Majestouch
« on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 16:52:51 »
I'm torn between the two (CM Storm or Filco Majestouch).

This will be my first mechanical keyboard. I'm looking to get the brown switches for typing and gaming. I do a lot of both, so I figure the Browns will be a good compromise(?)

note: I would add links, but apparently since I'm a new member on this forum, I'm limited to how many I can put in a post.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:08:04 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

Brown is good.  I like Brown.  It is a good first mechanical keyboard.  I am still using one frequently.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:11:51 »
So to answer the title/subject of your post...

They are manufactured by the same OEM (Costar) from many of the same molds.  The CMStorm has media functions with a Fn key replacing the Menu key.  The CMStorm's USB cable is detachable.  The colors and fonts and logos on the boards are of course different.  CMStorm's extension feet do not (yet) have rubber bits on them.  I think that sums it up.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bckai

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:38:55 »
Lol, thanks! I'll keep that in mind. You got any input on my question?

Offline bckai

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:39:46 »
Quote from: alaricljs;445818
So to answer the title/subject of your post...

They are manufactured by the same OEM (Costar) from many of the same molds.  The CMStorm has media functions with a Fn key replacing the Menu key.  The CMStorm's USB cable is detachable.  The colors and fonts and logos on the boards are of course different.  CMStorm's extension feet do not (yet) have rubber bits on them.  I think that sums it up.

Keeping this in mind... Anyone know when CM is going to release this puppy in the states? I don't want to have to go through PCHome if I don't have to.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 17:42:16 »
I vaguely remember something about mid November... I could be completely wrong.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 04:48:02 »
I like my Filco MJ1 and MJ2 brown very much. I don't know how a CM storm keyboard is.

CM Storm is a new brand, while Filco is a respected one. If they are sold at the same price, I'll get the Filco.

If it is not so, please put the price of both keyboards here so we will consider.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 04:54:05 »
i have the cm storm and like someone already mentioned that the oem manufacture for this board is probably costar which oems filco also.

The quality I would have to say is pretty comparable to the filcos with some additional extras like detachable cable, media keys...while the drawbacks are obvious like the logo's everywhere.

if price were the same of course people would get the filco due to the name recognition and subtle styling but the reality of it is the cm storm is half the price of a filco with comparable build and features.. I'm just saying dont count it out of thought based on it being cm's first offering.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline slueth

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 05:41:38 »
Should come to the US this month, I would wait for it.  really great keyboard.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 05:45:32 »
Choose whichever keyboard you think you would like typing with the most. Out of any switch that I have tried (red, blue, brown, topre) they all differ for typing, but gaming there isn't really any switch with an advantage. It's all about personal preference. Browns are a nice switch, but if you are thinking of getting them as a compromise between blues and blacks because "blues aren't good for gaming" and "blacks aren't good for typing" then I'd suggest dismissing that thought.

Offline slueth

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 06:02:03 »
I would think of which switch do I like the most, because its a pain to swap keyboards around for mulch-purposes.  I think all cherry switches are fine for gaming but it all comes down to preferences.

Offline rich0d

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 12:19:47 »
Is there any official word on a US pricepoint? I believe I heard something like $79.99?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline HWI

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 00:55:27 »
Another thing the Quick Fire has that wasn't mentioned is channels for the USB cable. It also comes with a keycap puller and some extra keycaps.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 09:25:30 »
Quote from: HWI;446549
Another thing the Quick Fire has that wasn't mentioned is channels for the USB cable. It also comes with a keycap puller and some extra keycaps.

But the CM logo windows keycaps are lower quality.

Also, the cable is excellent.

Offline bckai

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 12:42:26 »
Thanks for the replies guys. I think what I'm going to do is wait for the CM Storm Quickfire to start shipping here. Although I like the styling of the Filco much better, the price point of the Quickfire is just too compelling.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 19:33:14 »
After taking mine apart, It's almost identical in construction to the pictures of filcos I've soon.

I love my CMstorm QF rapid! The red metal plate is also nice.

Offline bckai

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 19:40:07 »
Quote from: dorkvader;447668
After taking mine apart, It's almost identical in construction to the pictures of filcos I've soon.

Hey Dorkvader, do you do a lot of typing or gaming? How does the Cherry reds work for both? I heard that they are very light, and sometimes just resting your fingers on them will actuate them. How much does that hold true? I'm torn between the Browns and the Blues, but I'd like more insight on the Reds.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 19:48:30 »
Quote from: bckai;447671
Hey Dorkvader, do you do a lot of typing or gaming? How does the Cherry reds work for both? I heard that they are very light, and sometimes just resting your fingers on them will actuate them. How much does that hold true? I'm torn between the Browns and the Blues, but I'd like more insight on the Reds.

They are light but not that light....resting my fingers on them does not cause any accidental accuations. some people dont like the reds since you tend to bottom out more due to the lightness but I dont mind.

I probably had more the accidental accuations on my topre 86U variable with the 30g pinkies.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 19:51:15 »
Quote from: dorkvader;447668

Is the inside of the CMstorm case the same as Filco's?  Could you put the CMstorm keyboard innards inside the Filco case?  If would be great if you could try that and let us know.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 20:24:52 »
Quote from: bckai;447671
I don't have that problem, but I only use it at my "standing desk". It's not that bad to type on, better than I expected. I still prefer my Unicomp for long typing sessions, but the reds are pretty cool too. For some reason, I don't bottom out as much as I expected. I'm continually surprised how little I have to press to get the keys to actuate, and for me, it's like I've thought about hitting it, and that's enough. It's pretty cool. Right now, I'm testing my WASD in browns for typing, though.

I've not had a chance to game in ages! Stupid work. I do tend to bottom out a bit more then, but it's great how light tthe switches are.

Quote from: litster;447679
Is the inside of the CMstorm case the same as Filco's?  Could you put the CMstorm keyboard innards inside the Filco case?  If would be great if you could try that and let us know.

I don't have a filco to look at, but the holes in the PCB are in the same places (I'm looking at where they are compared to the switches, as a pretty accurate reference)

Let me grab an SD card and try to take the pics off my phone. Back in a sec.

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 20:43:38 »
Oh awesome, I wanted Filco but couldn't really justify getting one due to the price of it + shipping, so I just got the CM Storrn (for like 1/2 the price of a Filco), good to know they're practically the same thing lol.

Offline bckai

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 20:50:26 »
Quote from: RenoFox;447724
Oh awesome, I wanted Filco but couldn't really justify getting one due to the price of it + shipping, so I just got the CM Storrn (for like 1/2 the price of a Filco), good to know they're practically the same thing lol.

Where did you end up getting yours, Reno?

Offline chel-

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 20:53:07 »
Well you can always paint the Quickfire one if you really dislike how it looks.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 20:53:26 »
Quote from: bckai;447731
Where did you end up getting yours, Reno?

Assuming PChome.... RenoFox - which switch did you get?

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:02:55 »
Yep I got it from PCHome, I ended up getting the Browns all up it was like $103usd shipped to New Zealand :D (Would cost me like over $200usd to actually get a filco delivered to here in NZ)
They also stock the Reds and Blacks, only thing I could imagine being a problem is that there's some Chinese characters on the keyboards too. But you can always replace the caps if it really bothers you that much.

Btw here's the review of the board they got from PCHome (reds)
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:06:43 by RenoFox »

Offline chel-

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:23:04 »
Nice review. As much as I hate the font and the ugly logos all over I really like the Chinese characters on it.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:30:03 »
Quote from: chel-;447748
Nice review. As much as I hate the font and the ugly logos all over I really like the Chinese characters on it.
I hate them. Do you want to buy my set?

Offline slueth

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:34:28 »
Yea, I hate mines keys too, gonna change them out asap with doubleshots or pbt.  Good thing you swapped the ducky for the QF RenoFox. The quickfire is such an awesome keyboard.

Offline chel-

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 22:31:41 »
Quote from: dorkvader;447753
I hate them. Do you want to buy my set?

lol I don't know if I like them THAT much. Maybe if the price is right...

Offline bckai

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 22:31:36 »
Another question: Blue or Brown?

I play a lot of games (mostly FPS and MMOs) but I also type a lot. I'm a writer.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 22:34:21 »
I love my browns.  Biggest consideration was how much I might irritate myself and my wife with the noise of blues.  Browns aren't too much quieter if you're bottoming out, however I bought a set of PBTs and the wife is like wtf?  Then she heard the difference and said it was worth the money.  This was on a Filco.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bckai

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 22:44:05 »
Quote from: alaricljs;449024
I love my browns.  Biggest consideration was how much I might irritate myself and my wife with the noise of blues.  Browns aren't too much quieter if you're bottoming out, however I bought a set of PBTs and the wife is like wtf?  Then she heard the difference and said it was worth the money.  This was on a Filco.

Did you notice much of a difference in the tactile feel of typing when going to the browns from the blues?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 23:02:20 »
The blues might be a tad more tactile, but then it might be my ears telling my hands what they just felt.  I haven't tried blues with headphones on so I'm not sure.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline HWI

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 03:07:29 »
Browns and blues aren't very comparable imo, the tactility is much less in browns and the overall feel is quite different.

Edit: I hate blues, so between blue and browns I would definitely go with browns for typing and gaming.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2011, 04:03:10 by HWI »
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 03:58:38 »
I'd get the blues, I really did not like the browns at all - way too boring for me.

Ideally, I would get blues for typing. And either reds or blacks for gaming

Offline slueth

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 04:43:54 »
hmm.. there is a switch for every person, non is the best, just preference.

Offline bckai

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 11:27:44 »
Interesting. My initial thought was to go with the browns based on the research that I've done. I'm still leaning towards the browns after considering people's opinions here. I do like the feel of the IBM Model Ms, however I am very optimistic about the brown switches. I've tried both blues and blacks at my local Fry's here in California, but they don't have any brown switch keyboards on display there.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:28:24 »
Quote from: bckai;449296
Interesting. My initial thought was to go with the browns based on the research that I've done. I'm still leaning towards the browns after considering people's opinions here. I do like the feel of the IBM Model Ms, however I am very optimistic about the brown switches. I've tried both blues and blacks at my local Fry's here in California, but they don't have any brown switch keyboards on display there.
I have tried blacks, and browns are certainly lighter. I think I prefer reds, though. Ican type much faster, but I have to be careful, as any stray weight will cause them to activate, thus adding extra errors. It's also too easy to "double space" and hit the backspace key too many times.

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 03:44:15 »
Quote from: bckai;449296

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, you really just have to try them out for yourself. But I'll give my two cents anyway.

The browns were my least favorite, too light and boring. The blues were my favorite for typing, I always felt like I was typing so much faster than I actually was on these (I was actually typing a little bit faster, but not that much). Reds are my favorite for gaming of the three, but are still a little light for RTS's imo, would be excellent for FPS's though.

Offline DoctorSnoopy

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 03:58:10 »
Don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I e-mailed CM about the keyboard for the US and the reply I got was:

"Hello,
These will be available in US around the end of December to the beginning of January. MSRP is $99.99 at this time."

Offline bckai

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 11:15:28 »
Quote from: DoctorSnoopy;451043
Don't know if this was already posted somewhere but I e-mailed CM about the keyboard for the US and the reply I got was:

"Hello,
These will be available in US around the end of December to the beginning of January. MSRP is $99.99 at this time."

That is absurd. If this is the case, I might as well go with the Filco. For months they've been saying that it's $79.99 and that it'd be available by the end of November. Ugh, this makes me angry. At this rate, it's never going to come out here in the states.

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 11:21:10 »
Quote from: bckai;451147
That is absurd. If this is the case, I might as well go with the Filco. For months they've been saying that it's $79.99 and that it'd be available by the end of November. Ugh, this makes me angry. At this rate, it's never going to come out here in the states.

That is a little crazy and rather annoying. You could always just buy it from PCHome, it comes out to be about $99 for either the black or brown version, I think that's what I am going to do since the price would be the same anyway. The reds are about $10 more, sucks they don't offer the blues though.

Offline bckai

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 21:07:52 »
Went with the Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless (Brown). Very happy with it. Thanks to everyone with their suggestions.