Author Topic: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for gaming  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Atranox

Looking for a mechanical keyboard for gaming
« on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 16:20:42 »
Right now, I'm using the X-Armor U9BL-S for gaming (FPS, MMO, RTS, etc).  I loved the keyboard, but unfortunately after just 7 months it has turned out to be a pile of crap.  A few of the keys have become crooked/mis-aligned after usage and a couple of the backlight LED's have already burned out completely.  Apparently the X-Armor branding has gone under, and iOne is refusing to honor the warranty to replace the keyboard.

I'm looking for either Cherry browns or reds, though I don't want to completely rule out clears if I'll be getting significantly better quality w/ branding.  I also really prefer having backlit keys since the room is not well lit and I'm not a very good typist.

The keyboards I have been looking at are:

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth
 - This is really my first choice, but I don't want to run into issues like I have with my X-Armor.  I know Razer's quality is probably not on the same levels as Das, Filco, or Deck - but is the quality still good enough where I don't have to worry about things breaking in a couple years?  I know a lot of people have run into some minor issues, but otherwise they seem decent.

Corsair K60 or K90
 - I like Cherry reds, but the drawback for me is the lack of backlighting on the K60 and the tons of space the macro keys take up on the K90 (it may be too large for my keyboard tray).  I also have heard that Corsair may be putting rubber domes on the board for the F keys, but honestly it's not a deal-breaker for me.  What is everyone else's thoughts on how these are looking?

Deck Tactile
 - I've heard nothing bad at all about Deck.  However, the pricing is really high compared to the alternatives and I prefer brown or red to clears.  How much more force do these keys really require over typical browns, and is Deck's quality worth the extra money?  I know it's very preference-based, but how is gaming in general on clears compared to browns or reds?

Ducky Shine
 - I really can't find any info on these at all.  How is the quality?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I'm just really torn at the moment on what to go with.  If anyone has any other suggestions that I didn't list above, I would love to hear them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2011, 16:44:23 by Atranox »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 16:56:45 »
Skip on the black widow for gaming its 2KRO. Also, the corsair K90 has some keys that have rubber dome switches and they somehow implemented 20KRO over USB compatibility with systems other than windows could be a problem. I would go with the Ducky Shine if you really need backlighting, you should be able to get on from qtan on this forum.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 22:50:18 »
I'd grab the WASD, if I were you.

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 22:57:41 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;446341
Skip on the black widow for gaming its 2KRO. Also, the corsair K90 has some keys that have rubber dome switches and they somehow implemented 20KRO over USB compatibility with systems other than windows could be a problem. I would go with the Ducky Shine if you really need backlighting, you should be able to get on from qtan on this forum.
They've supposedly fixed the black widow's 2KRO with their stealth series.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 00:54:05 »
I'd also suggest you the Shine. If I wanted a backlit it would be my first choice. The only other backlit that you didn't mention is the Mionix Zibal, but it had some mixed reviews and is black switch only.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 02:26:30 »
o yea I forgot the Mionix it should have around the same build quality as a WASD

Offline flyball

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 06:58:52 »
Quote from: Atranox;446320
Right now, I'm using the X-Armor U9BL-S for gaming (FPS, MMO, RTS, etc).  I loved the keyboard, but unfortunately after just 7 months it has turned out to be a pile of crap.  A few of the keys have become crooked/mis-aligned after usage and a couple of the backlight LED's have already burned out completely.  Apparently the X-Armor branding has gone under, and iOne is refusing to honor the warranty to replace the keyboard.

I'm looking for either Cherry browns or reds, though I don't want to completely rule out clears if I'll be getting significantly better quality w/ branding.  I also really prefer having backlit keys since the room is not well lit and I'm not a very good typist.

The keyboards I have been looking at are:

- This is really my first choice, but I don't want to run into issues like I have with my X-Armor.  I know Razer's quality is probably not on the same levels as Das, Filco, or Deck - but is the quality still good enough where I don't have to worry about things breaking in a couple years?  I know a lot of people have run into some minor issues, but otherwise they seem decent.

Corsair K60 or K90
 - I like Cherry reds, but the drawback for me is the lack of backlighting on the K60 and the tons of space the macro keys take up on the K90 (it may be too large for my keyboard tray).  I also have heard that Corsair may be putting rubber domes on the board for the F keys, but honestly it's not a deal-breaker for me.  What is everyone else's thoughts on how these are looking?

Deck Tactile
 - I've heard nothing bad at all about Deck.  However, the pricing is really high compared to the alternatives and I prefer brown or red to clears.  How much more force do these keys really require over typical browns, and is Deck's quality worth the extra money?  I know it's very preference-based, but how is gaming in general on clears compared to browns or reds?

Ducky Shine
 - I really can't find any info on these at all.  How is the quality?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I'm just really torn at the moment on what to go with.  If anyone has any other suggestions that I didn't list above, I would love to hear them.
read the wiki and search the site for individual keyboard reviews. no keyboards have systemic quality issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 01:01:23 »
Quote from: ripster;446660

Or an old Ducky 9008.  They Quack up over time.

I hope you are just poking fun at ducky instead of being serious about it.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 01:02:13 »
Given the choices given, I go for Corsair K60 even though it has some non-mechanical switches involved.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 09:16:26 »
Do you use the function keys ever?

Offline pitashen

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 10:48:12 »
Quote from: ripster;447299
Quack Quack Quack!
(Attachment Link) 31169[/ATTACH]

That, is not from a 9008 but 1087.

9008s are the good build quality ones.

Offline Artillery

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 13:10:14 »
I have a Deck Legend tactile, after the two years I've had it, its been doing great.  The only complaints I have is that the indicator lights on the blue backlit keyboard I have are hard to see in daylight because they are red and the space bar has shine on the left side of it.  Besides that its built like a tank and the build quality has been great.
Current Keyboard: Deck Legend Ice (Tactile) with Cherry Clear switches

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 15:07:17 »
His keyboard probably broke and can't post any more.

Offline Delphis

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 16:22:22 »
Howdy, I'm in the same boat as you (the OP). I'll just add my comments:

- Not currently available and Razer is not releasing any information. I just emailed them two days ago about this very keyboard and they gave me a very lame answer to, "check their website for more information."

Corsair K60 or K90
 - Not currently available and will not be available until late December. I would not hold my breath on these. Also, the K60 does not have backlighting. The K90 looks good to me but the backlighting does not go through the keys, it's just lit from underneath. I think these will not be very popular (speculation).

Deck Tactile
- Browns are not currently available. My opinion, not having tried one, is that this board with black or whites would be a good option. I'm leaning towards this.

Ducky Shine
- Browns are not currently available. Might be a good option. The key lettering seems to be a bit off-standard though.

Offline Foodmanchew

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:54:44 »
Why not learn to touch-type? It doesn't take that long and it is totally worth it.