Author Topic: Topre as a first?  (Read 16269 times)

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:30:02 »
There are those who tried topre and ended up declaring cherry switch to be better.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:38:12 »
As in that people who have used cherrys later bought topres and ended up selling their cherry ones. Im simply using the high percentage of people that stick with topres as to cherry ones. If I end up not liking it then I could sell it and play the cherry game and try different switches but since leopolds are 109 I might as well start there.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 02:25:32 »
Topre is not a type of rubber dome!

Offline Feferi

Topre as a first?
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 02:55:21 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;446578
Topre is not a type of rubber dome!

It isn't. It's a capacitive switch. A rubber dome is, well, a rubber dome.
boards: leopold tkl otaku mx blue | realforce tkl 87u 45g
rig: intel core i7-990x 3.47ghz | 8 gb ddr3 ram | ati radeon 6870 1gb | haf x

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 03:04:36 »
Quote from: Feferi;446584
It isn't. It's a capacitive switch. A rubber dome is, well, a rubber dome.

Topre is more complex than typical rubber dome, but it ultimately has a rubber dome as an important part of the topre switch design. it is not wrong calling topre to be a type of rubber dome lol.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2011, 03:07:16 by pitashen »

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
Topre as a first?
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 03:27:10 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446574
As in that people who have used cherrys later bought topres and ended up selling their cherry ones. Im simply using the high percentage of people that stick with topres as to cherry ones. If I end up not liking it then I could sell it and play the cherry game and try different switches but since leopolds are 109 I might as well start there.

OP,
except earlier on you complained about your location! The postage alone is likely to be a killer for a resale of anything you buy! Unless there are many mech enthusiasts in Georgia?.

i.e. SEE:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22898-Keyboard-enthusiasts-by-location-...

Consider Delivery + insurance to be expensive from Georgia to EU or USA!

Seeing as you have read the entire forum, word for word, and concluded the superiority of the Topre!!, I wonder if you have come across KeyboardCo [a filco from KC will set you back 190$ (inc Delivery)], to compare with the 160$ you will pay at EK.

Anyway, It seems to me you are a very long way from pulling the trigger on a mech... because your thoughts are still very promiscuous! you need to make the decision, the decision should not be made for you by others! And like I said you should start with what the common consensus on GH suggests : which is to get a cherry MX board and try the brown switch first.

Good Luck in your endeavours sir!
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Topre as a first?
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 07:04:18 »
Quote from: pitashen;446589
Topre is more complex than typical rubber dome, but it ultimately has a rubber dome as an important part of the topre switch design. it is not wrong calling topre to be a type of rubber dome lol.

I still think calling a Topre mechanical is a bit weird. The tactility comes from the rubber dome, and the actuation comes from the capacitive sensor. If anything, I prefer to call it an "electronic rubber dome" keyboard. Electronic actuation != mechanical actuation.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 09:28:43 »
Well the current one I'm gonna get is a Leopold from Ek since its 109 for paypal. I was looking at filcos in amazon but idk they start at 159 and look better than leopolds such as the otaku black majestouch 2 or even the camo majestouch 2 but its 50 bucks more than the leopolds.

All in all I just needed thoughts on if anyone had ever gotten a topre as their first kb and never bought another one again or at least for a while.
Well while there's not that many tech smart people here the few that are tend to know more into the quality of technology and actually take interest in well built peripherals.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2011, 09:38:11 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 10:30:13 »
Quote from: ripster;446669
There ARE a lot of tech dumb people here.   I blame the USA education system.
VERY VERY TRUE although.. Lets just say I've upgraded my computer from idiots who can't build their own pc..
Peripherals:

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 12:50:52 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446644

All in all I just needed thoughts on if anyone had ever gotten a topre as their first kb and never bought another one again or at least for a while.

As much as I wanted to give Topre boards a shot out of curiosity, I am totally happy with cherry brown. To me in the end, the cost of Topre keyboard doesn't really justify my curiosity until maybe I can try one out for free.

Offline nar

Topre as a first?
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 13:00:02 »
If your willing to get used Topres it can actually get quite cheap, espesically if your willing to buy the OEM Topres. I paid about $90 + Shipping for my HE0100 and I just got a 103UB from the classifieds here for $190 Shipped.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 13:16:36 »
If only it was possible to try each type of keyboard there is before buying them...
Peripherals:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Topre as a first?
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 13:32:57 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446375
Ok but from what I hear is people buy Filcos,Duckys,Rose,Noppoo,KBC and even IBM's model M and they refer to the rf as the "best". It confuses me how you go on a shopping spree like that and they are still willing to buy a topre for 200+ and say it's the best.
How else are we going to justify all the money we just spent on one board if we don't call it the best?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 14:17:42 »
Quote from: demik;446784
How else are we going to justify all the money we just spent on one board if we don't call it the best?

So is this keyboard the best since it's ~2k?

About 10 times better than a RF actually.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Offline pat

Topre as a first?
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 14:56:47 »
Since my "best" is topre, but I also have 2 filco's and a leopold, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I got a filco with brown switches first, I used it for about a month and realized it wasn't right for me, I didn't like the tactile keyswitch and they felt a little heavy to me.  I did some more research and got a Filco with red switches and a variable weight realforce 86U.  I loved both, way more than the brown filco.  Only in my opinion, I would think if you like brown switches, you probably wouldn't like topre.  I do think there's a similarity between the red & topre though, both have a smooth linear feel.

Side note, I also got a red leopold and compared to the red filco, it doesn't feel as solid.  I think its the keycaps, they feel cheaper or something, the whole filco feels more solid and typing feels more solid...closer to the build quality of a realforce.  This is all coming from someone that doesn't like loud clicky keyboards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Topre as a first?
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:01:53 »
Quote from: Gin;446802
So is this keyboard the best since it's ~2k?

About 10 times better than a RF actually.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/
totally, wasn't that just what i said? (obviously sarcastic)

anyway, i like my topre. but i like blue switches more.

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:06:48 »
Quote from: demik;446814
totally, wasn't that just what i said? (obviously sarcastic)

anyway, i like my topre. but i like blue switches more.

Sarcasm awareness isn't one of my best attributes...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Topre as a first?
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:15:10 »
we all have our flaws

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:43:42 »
Quote from: pat;446809
Since my "best" is topre, but I also have 2 filco's and a leopold, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I got a filco with brown switches first, I used it for about a month and realized it wasn't right for me, I didn't like the tactile keyswitch and they felt a little heavy to me.  I did some more research and got a Filco with red switches and a variable weight realforce 86U.  I loved both, way more than the brown filco.  Only in my opinion, I would think if you like brown switches, you probably wouldn't like topre.  I do think there's a similarity between the red & topre though, both have a smooth linear feel.

Side note, I also got a red leopold and compared to the red filco, it doesn't feel as solid.  I think its the keycaps, they feel cheaper or something, the whole filco feels more solid and typing feels more solid...closer to the build quality of a realforce.  This is all coming from someone that doesn't like loud clicky keyboards.
Again, I'm getting a leopold if I can't find a cheap topre
Leopolds = 110$ Filcos 140+$ and it's the cheapest way to find out if I like a certain switch.
Only switches I have tried myself are wannabe alps and blue switches from blackwidows
btw was the Filco a Linear R?
Peripherals:

fossala

Topre as a first?
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:45:31 »
There is a 103UB in the classified for $165

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:46:52 »
Quote from: ripster;446782
Just get a plane ticket to Japan.

I just put this into the WW Shopping Wiki:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=de&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topre.co.jp%2Fproducts%2Fcomp%2Fkey_shop.html&act=url
lol... only if I wasn't in school
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 15:48:14 »
Quote from: fossala;446839
There is a 103UB in the classified for $165
I Pmed the guy.
Peripherals:

Offline Trueepower

Topre as a first?
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 17:43:30 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446838
Again, I'm getting a leopold if I can't find a cheap topre
Leopolds = 110$ Filcos 140+$ and it's the cheapest way to find out if I like a certain switch.
Only switches I have tried myself are wannabe alps and blue switches from blackwidows
btw was the Filco a Linear R?

Yeah, it's good to order from Amazon to try out switches first. Just RMA it back after a few days or even longer (if needed). I would say that a red switch is similar to a 45g Topre the most. Both are just very light, and easy to use. The weight is just different, and the force gradient. So as you push down on the red switch you get a little more of springy feel (as you feel the spring in action). The Topre (as often people say) feel like typing on boobs with less bounce back force. They both are quite similar (but quite different) at 45g, but once you jump up to the 55g weighted version of the Topre they are much different. That 10 grams makes a lot of difference, and most people prefer lighter switches. So the red switch, and the 45g Topre is similar. Especially when you add some dampening pads to the red switches for a soft landing.

The Topre switches may appeal to you depending on how you like the their force gradient. The force at the top of the switch is the major difference between a red switch, and a 45g Topre board. Good luck!
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline Autolyze

Topre as a first?
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:06:43 »
I've only had my 45g 87ub for three days, but to me it feels like some kind of weird (sexy) mix of reds, browns, and rubber domes. I really dig the popping feel that the keys give off. I had been thinking that this would be my only Topre board, but now I might have to spring for a 55g 87uw once my wallet recovers and they're not too hard to find.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:30:28 »
If I end up finding one it'd prob be a 86ub since the 87u is a little too much.
Peripherals:

Offline Zamorph

Topre as a first?
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:00:09 »
I do recommend a leopold from ek tho, they dont allow returns but you can easily sell it if you dont like it.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 21:28:19 »
What im not sure about is the weight difference between clears and browns.
and btw I am heavily searching for topres at the same time :)
im giving myself until christmas to get a topre
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 21:47:39 »
LOL dat mudflap.. prob has it's own type of texture.
Peripherals:

Offline nhwhaup

Topre as a first?
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 09:46:17 »
While choosing a favorite switch and keyboard is totally subjective - I feel that just trying out a keyboard for a short time never does the keyboard justice.  I find that over the course of time different keyboards of mine jump in front as my favorites.  Overall I really liked my Filco TKL with the Cherry Reds as my favorite.  Even after I purchased the Silent Realforce (for a tidy sum) and the Poker with Reds (reasonably priced), I still felt that my Filco was my workhorse and overall favorite.  But considering the price I paid for the Realforce, I decided to keep that one at work to use on a daily basis.  After about a month, I tried switching off to my Filco and nothing doing - just wasn't even close to the buttery feel of the silent Realforce.  Now the Poker is really neat and I love the small form factor and the feel and sound of the Cherry reds bouncing off the PBT board.  It is great for straight typing especially on the iPad (which I'm doing now).  However, if I'm doing some real work and need to use the arrow keys with a regular computer, I switch it out for a regular keyboard - for work just gotta have the arrow keys.  Everything else about the Poker is super except for not having the arrow keys.

Really all is subjective when it comes to choosing your favorite keyboard and I'm really happy to have tried out quite a few before happily settling on my three "current" favorites.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 09:59:52 »
Yea I guess but I mean if I find a topre thats getting sold for less than it's standard price I might as well buy it since its gonna be economically smart and a gain in case I want to sell it again. But for now im looking for kbs in general topres being one of my priorities but also other kbs such as filcos and even brands I didnt know were good such as pokers and noppoos.
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 10:01:39 »
Quote from: ripster;449942
Amen brother!   Saying this for the last 3 years has made me unpopular with Keyboard Forum Site Moderators AROUND THE WORLD!

WTF?
(Attachment Link) 31606[/ATTACH]

Eh shouldnt you just get a tenkeyless? or you want that size?
Peripherals:

Offline chel-

Topre as a first?
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 12:02:27 »
I dont get how people have such a hard time getting used to the arrow keys on the hhkb pro 2. It took me maybe a day to get used to it.

Personally I got black switches first and then topre and red switches. Now I'm back to black. You know what they say...

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 13:38:08 »
Quote from: ripster;449955
84 posts and you haven't read my sig yet?  I already posted I have a RealForce 87U.

well I  know that you do, it just didnt make sense why you didnt just use your 87u but I see now.
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 13:49:05 »
What does this have to do with women lol I just want a good keyboard due to my heavy gaming.
WOMEN on the other hand....psshh.. the least the better :) and as long as she likes it.
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:03:07 »
I know but keyboards are tools for the computer savvy people. women are just women :)
Peripherals:

Offline itlnstln

Topre as a first?
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:05:47 »
I don't think he has to worry about women with that sig.

Let me rephrase that:

Most expensive is not always best.

The sooner you learn this, you'll realize there is plenty of great, free porn out there. Or at least you'll be spending more on Kleenex and socks instead.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:20:50 »
Lol with my sig? what the **** does my sig have to do with me being able to get women..
my sig is just informative information since I tend to just copy and paste my setup rather than typing out what my specs are to people.

School is my occupation not ****ing women.
Peripherals:

Offline itlnstln

Topre as a first?
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:27:56 »
This is a keyboard forum.  Nobody cares about your specs.

Certainly not women.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:31:21 »
Well dont pay attention to it. Simple as that.
sigh... youre in geekhack theres no women here lol...
Peripherals:

Offline itlnstln

Topre as a first?
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:38:33 »
Quote from: Lmnr;450149
sigh... youre in geekhack theres no women here lol...

You would be wrong.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:46:29 »
its geekhack... what? youre going to get some from some woman thats into keyboards..?
Peripherals:

Offline itlnstln

Topre as a first?
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:51:13 »
No, I respect the women here.

I don't talk about keyboards with my GF, either. That's why I have a GF.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 14:54:34 »
I never said I didnt its just not the point of geekhack. I dont speak about computer stuff period with my friends let alone in dates.
Peripherals:

Offline MsKeyboard

Topre as a first?
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 15:18:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;450156
You would be wrong.

And you would be correct, Sir!

Offline F u r u y á

Topre as a first?
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 15:59:23 »
Quote from: Lmnr;448978
What im not sure about is the weight difference between clears and browns.

The weight difference is BRUTAL. Clears sux. I hate Clears, **** Clears!
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Topre as a first?
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 16:04:37 »
Quote from: F u r u y á;450199
The weight difference is BRUTAL. Clears sux. I hate Clears, **** Clears!

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man. I got some clears recently and I am absolutely loving them. I just happen to like a heavier feel to some things, I suppose. I can certainly see why a lot of people might dislike the clears. It's probably a bad starting point.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline F u r u y á

Topre as a first?
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 16:16:16 »
He asked for opinions. I gave mine.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Topre as a first?
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 16:20:04 »
Frankly, there was enough whateverism above your post that I really forgot what the context of the thread was, so fair enough.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Topre as a first?
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 16:21:01 »
1) Topre 45g
2) Blues
3) Browns
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 18:25:49 »
Quote from: cactux;450213
1) Topre 45g
2) Blues
3) Browns
Lol with a title like that kinda worries me..
Peripherals: