Author Topic: Topre as a first?  (Read 16270 times)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 17:18:26 »
SOOO Yea Topre as a first mech? since I keep hearing that its the one and well it gets around haha. Yes i've thoroughly searched up info on others but i've been considering the quality of the keycaps of say the filcos and duckys..no good. But the keycaps of topres seem to be excellent and very sturdy plus the topre switch since i've been using a kb-3923 and its still a rubberdome but not as bad as the others.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:05:23 »
You can always replace keycaps. And what do you mean by "it gets around?" Is that one of your criteria for getting a mech keyboard?

I don't know if someone can answer your question with just key caps and "getting around" as the only evaluative points.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:11:43 »
Well I mean that as in allot of people have some sort of topre. If they have a collection they olmost always say its their favorite.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:14:58 »
I also can't afford to spend another 50 bucks just for another set of keycaps. Id rather just find the jack of all trades.
Peripherals:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:20:24 »
well Cherry board is $100 but a Topre board is $300. You could buy 2 Cherry switch boards and PBT keycaps for each for the price of a Topre board.

fossala

Topre as a first?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:22:33 »
The reason everybody that has topre loves them is because the ones that didn't sold theres.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Topre as a first?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:25:33 »
Well, the fun thing about mech keyboards is that you get to try out different switches but it sounds to me like you just wanna buy one and call it quit then yeah, go for it.  It's your money anyway. =P

Also for me, Topre is just another type of switch (glorified rubber dome, if you will).  There are plenty of people who prefers Cherry MX over Topre on this forum.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:26:38 »
Topre FTW!

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
Topre as a first?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:31:02 »
Well consider the price of a RealForce [$345] ! you can buy 3 *brand new* Leopolds from EK for the price of a Realforce [thats a blue switch, a brown switch and probably a red or clear cherry switch] (or 3 used filcos) whatever floats your boat.... Personally I've been told that if you go from rubber domes to Topre the feel is meh.... -

IMHO for your first mech grab a brown switch, filco or Leopold, TenKeysLess or a full board.

If you buy a Filco for 150$ + $50 for PBT keycaps that is 145$ cheaper than buying a Topre and $200 cheaper if you go for a leopold! - but in the first instance you can have the Filco for $150 - abuse the keys and in time replace with a set of PBT.

The Topre is an itch which you should scratch with time and when you have money in your pocket. I for one am planning to have tried every switch before I commit to try a variable Topre, a 45g uniform Topre and a 55g uniform Topre - thats over the next 10 years !!!

Also appreciate getting custom keycaps will be easier on cherry MX than Topre.

Not sure what you mean by gets around? sounds like what I used to call one of those nympho girls back in high school :D
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Autolyze

Topre as a first?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:32:30 »
I've got a 45g Realforce coming on Monday, but I'm not expecting to like it as much as my Filco with browns. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

I don't think there's any kind of consensus on a best keyboard, and it probably makes sense to start with the ones that aren't $300. Some people even prefer the ABS keycaps that come on most keyboards over the PBT ones.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:34:10 »
I assume that the 45g is a TKL if you end up not liking it you make have a buyer for a used one. Also may I ask why you prefer ABS?

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:36:02 »
Ok but from what I hear is people buy Filcos,Duckys,Rose,Noppoo,KBC and even IBM's model M and they refer to the rf as the "best". It confuses me how you go on a shopping spree like that and they are still willing to buy a topre for 200+ and say it's the best.
Peripherals:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:37:14 »
The "BEST" is always subjective.

Offline Autolyze

Topre as a first?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:38:14 »
The 45g on the way is indeed tenkeyless. I'll probably hold onto it, but I'm a little concerned about it not being springy enough for my tastes.

I didn't say that I preferred ABS, just that *some* people do. ;)

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
Topre as a first?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:39:19 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446375
Ok but from what I hear is people buy Filcos,Duckys,Rose,Noppoo,KBC and even IBM's model M and they refer to the rf as the "best". It confuses me how you go on a shopping spree like that and they are still willing to buy a topre for 200+ and say it's the best.

There are people that consider cherry/buckling better than Topre - like I said get what the rest of the sheep get (including me) ("Brown Cherry MX") - diversify from there

there is no "I'll get the perfect one on the first go" you aint going to know unless you try it!
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:44:53 »
hmm I see... I did see some interesting Filcos but since ive been doing research in my own time I figure out whats best. Ended up finding posts about them that said that they get the "ping" sometimes. Then that they have low quality ABS keycaps. I am also thinking of getting the ek leopolds for like 109.
Peripherals:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:47:45 »
ping... ROFL

Well, the designer of the Filco's and Leopold's says that a Leopold is better and I tend to agree, though the stabilizer choice is a killer for some.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
Topre as a first?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:47:59 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446379
hmm I see... I did see some interesting Filcos but since ive been doing research in my own time I figure out whats best. Ended up finding posts about them that said that they get the "ping" sometimes. Then that they have low quality ABS keycaps. I am also thinking of getting the ek leopolds for like 109.

Yes that is the case with some boards though there is also the breaking in period which I can testify to! my board started out pinging, as I got used to it, stopped bottoming out, no more ping

but yea - plate mounted cherry brown board -- should keep you happy for a while

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:50:04 »
OH and since ek has every possible cherry mx switch for leopold.... brown or clear? :D
Peripherals:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:50:59 »
I love clears but their definitely not for everyone.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:53:30 »
So im guessing browns are the jack of all trades huh. Are clears that much different?
Peripherals:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 18:56:20 »
Yes, they have the same spring as a black and the tactile bump of a blue (I think that would be the best way to describe them). Lots of people would like the tactile bump but not the weight of the switch that is why a fair amount of people have modded their clear switches making Ergo-Clears.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Topre as a first?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 19:11:13 »
Clears and blacks have a completely different spring.

I.e. "panda" clears = a clear switch with a black spring.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 19:14:22 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;446393
Clears and blacks have a completely different spring.
is the force to compress the spring comparable at least more so that a brown or blue spring? That is why I used that as a description not a direct substitution.

Offline keyboardlover

Topre as a first?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 19:20:38 »
They are definitely more alike in force than a brown/blue/red (all the same spring). But the difference is noticeable.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 19:29:57 »
But modding to ergo clears would require 2 different sets of switches :L clears by themselves.. are they better than browns to an extent?
Peripherals:

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 19:57:49 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446402
But modding to ergo clears would require 2 different sets of switches :L clears by themselves.. are they better than browns to an extent?

They have the click feel but not the sound. Comparable to a hybrid between blue and brown where the feel is that of blue's and sound of brown's.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Topre as a first?
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:03:54 »

you could get a keyboard with red, blue, or brown switches, and buy the clear stems from the classifieds. You can get a full set of clear stems for $30. Somewhere around there.

and yes, I think they are better than browns. But I think everything is better than browns, so that is probably not a helpful opinion :P

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:06:07 »
So a more recognizeable click feel when you type versus the browns?
Peripherals:

Offline Autolyze

Topre as a first?
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:09:37 »

It's really individual preference. Browns are going to be softer and clears are going to be firmer. I think that browns are generally the safer choice, but it's hard to say which switch you'd like more.

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:14:33 »
Cherry's doubleshot keycaps are considered some of the best quality keyboard keycaps you can get. And guess what they are compatible to? Filco, Ducky, Leopold, to name a few. I personally never heard of doubleshots of Topre.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Topre as a first?
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:24:41 »
I believe they are  considered some of the best because the legends cant wear and they are thicker but they are still ABS.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:26:48 »
Hmm I guess I was curious to try clears since they are thought of as a better brown supposedly. I guess a 109$ Leopold would be a good choice.. any thoughts on em?

I guess most of my knowledge is from what others have said online. Since where I live all I can try are ****-widows and some random SIIG "Mechanical keyboard" and now the new mionix zibal 60 which looks cheaply made. So far black switches aren't exactly my cup of tea (from the mionix) and the widow's blues arent exactly my type due to the activation point. I wont even begin with the siig..
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:29:21 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:29:54 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;446420
I believe they are  considered some of the best because the legends cant wear and they are thicker but they are still ABS.

They are PBT doubleshots if you're talking about Cherry Corp.
Signature plastic uses ABS

Offline keyboardlover

Topre as a first?
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:31:12 »
Huh? No, Cherry Corp. doubleshots are ABS as well.

I've yet to see a PBT doubleshot keycap. Do they exist?

Offline pitashen

Topre as a first?
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:33:06 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;446425
Huh? No, Cherry Corp. doubleshots are ABS as well.

I've yet to see a PBT doubleshot keycap. Do they exist?

I could be mistaken by their space bar being PBT.

Offline slueth

Topre as a first?
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:41:33 »
Just get the topre and be done with it.  Resale it if you don't like it, should still sell well at geekhack.  Pbt keycaps that are sex.  If you didn't like the feel of cherry blues I think the topre would be a good fit for you.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 21:02:24 »
Well lol price is affecting me a little bit . Either way im prob gonna end up getting a leopold at the end just to get the hype over with. btw still trying to find out the abs feel to keycaps.. let alone pbt... DAMN MY LOCATION
Peripherals:

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Topre as a first?
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 22:01:04 »
I went from blues to browns and I have to say that though they are only 5g different, it feels like the world to me. I love browns and now I find that blues are too heavy. Since clears are even heavier than that I don't have any interest in trying them. Just my experience.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 22:31:10 »
Quote from: oneproduct;446470
I went from blues to browns and I have to say that though they are only 5g different, it feels like the world to me. I love browns and now I find that blues are too heavy. Since clears are even heavier than that I don't have any interest in trying them. Just my experience.

I use blue for typing and brown for gaming. Blue is my favorite switch to date. I have tried everything but topre.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Topre as a first?
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:04:06 »
^my story exactly

Offline Greenbean

Topre as a first?
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:15:47 »
I'd look at WASD keyboards as most of their customers seem very happy with what they received. After all, at their prices, you could buy one for home use and another for work.

Splurging $300 on a keyboard for your first premium keyboard seems a little extreme to me.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Topre as a first?
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:31:41 »
Cherry blues are heavier then my topre, after a day of typing on those for a day makes my fingers tired. I do enjoy the clicky noise though, maybe it's time to try the browns. I tried the clears for 15 mins and back into the box it went there was no way I was going to be typing on those lol.

Oh and topre is my favourite, I have yet to try browns or reds though, I think reds would be my next target ;)
Keyboardless

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:34:44 »
Not when most people end up buying filcos kbcs and others plus their topre. I'd figured I would cut the time with the others and go straight into the "best". But from what im interpretting others are saying is that I won't know which one I would like the most. So far the option I have is 109$ leopolds since theyre quality and cheap.

I would spend 250 on a topre in which I wouldn't need to spend on other keyboards just to sell them back and keep the "best one". <== thats what I got from most people
Peripherals:

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:42:27 »
Well. Most people buy more than one keyboard is not because they want the "best one." But because they get addicted after their first mech keyboard. You'll understand once you get your Leopold. You will just want more keyboards, like, all of em.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:44:48 »
ehh I see that but why would they consider the topre the best one when it's a type of rubberdome or is it the fact that its the priciest?
Peripherals:

Offline Gin

Topre as a first?
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:50:52 »
I don't think it's agreed upon that topre is the best one, it REALLY depends on personal preference. Some people just prefer it over cherry mx and are willing to spend the extra money for it. I personally will buy a RealForce 45g uniform tenkeyless when I see one available and if I have the cash in hand, just to have it. But I will prioritize better cases for my Filcos, and possibly the limited R version before I think about topre.

I think the lightweight plastic used for FILCO keys compliment Cherry MX switches. Anything heavier would probably dull the tactility and fast action, but then I'm biased as always...

I like Filco stock key caps on blue. I think it feels and sounds sharper when I hit the click. But that's just me. Plus, it looks the best.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:05:06 by Gin »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Topre as a first?
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:01:49 »
How can you have the best when it comes down to personal preference.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Topre as a first?
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:19:06 »
Well thats the thing I was gonna take a blind shot at a topre since most people used cherrys and then topres and cosidered the topre as their prioritized one. I was simply gonna see if right away I was gonna like the topre since ive seem many videos and reviews of topres. plus I could just sell it.

Btw hows the rabbit edition I was gonna get one but I was too late...
Peripherals:

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Topre as a first?
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 01:24:59 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446571
most people used cherrys and then topres and cosidered the topre as their prioritized one.

I hope you see the problem with this statement.