Author Topic: Easy entry of polish characters to an azerty keyboard...  (Read 1840 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Easy entry of polish characters to an azerty keyboard...
« on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 20:11:47 »
My girlfriend would like to input the polish characters with a diacritical mark: a, c, e, l, n, o, s, z and z  (there are two different z).     (I did put them here in ASCII because I'm lazy ; )

Can I easily add shortcuts to her Mac so that she can stays in AZERTY layout (not forcing her to switch to another layout) and then do something like: right alt + option + a = 'polish a'?

The default dead key thing she doesn't like that much and anyway it doesn't seem to be working that great: option + ` + c closes Chrome tabs etc.

So instead of composing using dead keys she'd rather add the nine additional shortcuts using some modifier.

So that's it: no alternative layout (no layout switching), no compose/dead keys.  How can I create the 9 shortcuts she wants?

(I'm very familiar with that kind of stuff on Linux but I'm no OS X guru so detailed instructions would be most welcome : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 00:43:01 »
It's been awhile since I needed to create a custom keymap on mac, but this might be of use.

Offline flyball

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 06:56:50 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;446417
option + ` + c closes Chrome tabs etc.
does she know what the option key is? i'm pretty sure chrome has never used the option key for anything
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 08:54:43 »
Quote from: lysol;446541
It's been awhile since I needed to create a custom keymap on mac, but this might be of use.

Thanks a lot.  I downloaded Yukelele and created a new "layout".  I then put that layout in ~/Library/Keyboard layouts/ and now everything is working fine : )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 10:21:57 »
I think ControllerMate or Keyremap4Macbook is the way to go if you don't like to create a new layout. By the way layouts are just XML files if you open them up. Pretty easy to modify by hand.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 12:56:25 »
Quote from: czarek;447974
I think ControllerMate or Keyremap4Macbook is the way to go if you don't like to create a new layout. By the way layouts are just XML files if you open them up. Pretty easy to modify by hand.

Ah good to know, thanks!  I'm used to edit such things on Linux but didn't know anything about OS X: I didn't even check the kind of file "Yukelele" did crank.  She's away with her laptop as of now but out of curiosity once she gets back I'll "diff" the new layout I made her with the one I used as an example.