Author Topic: Apple keycaps?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline LostArk

Apple keycaps?
« on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 08:35:18 »
I have my eye on a white Filco ninja for use with my Mac.

After extensive googling I've already concluded that there exist no cherry mx key caps with an Apple layout, am I right?

So, I wondered where might I find blank white Filco key caps to replace the windows / alt / control keys? I looked at the WASD key caps and their shade of white doesn't look like it would match the Filco.

Also, I just had a stroke of brilliance. Would it not be possible to simply rotate the Filco ninja key caps 180 degrees, thus facing the printed side away from view?

PS - Anyone have any thoughts on the Matias Tactile Pro 3?

Offline AgentZen

Apple keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 09:01:54 »
ebay.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline Autolyze

Apple keycaps?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 09:07:54 »
You could get a full set of keycaps from WASD if you're really set on the Apple style. It wouldn't be all ninja-like, but I know there's been at least one person who did exactly that and posted pictures of it somewhere around here. I think they might've even had the media F-keys labeled appropriately. The pure white of the WASD keys definitely doesn't match the off-white of the "white" Filco boards though.

If you're not too disturbed by the Windows logo, you could easily swap the alt and win keys so that you've got alt as alt and win as command. While you technically could just rotate the keycaps, they'd be at a funky angle and would look worse than just having the incorrect labels.

The Matias Tactile Pro 3 would definitely fit with a Mac. I have no experience with ALPS switches, but most people seem to prefer various Cherry MX switches over them.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Apple keycaps?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:43:16 »
Quote from: Autolyze;446639
I have no experience with ALPS switches, but most people seem to prefer various Cherry MX switches over them.

Most people seem to say "I want a mech board" and then buy a blackwidow or a filco or any of the other sets of manufacturers that is new and current and has a buzz about it. These things are all cherries. Just because complicateds are gone and unicomps look like unicomps, there are no other choices for new stuff.

After they do that I've watched many then go try different flavors of cherry instead of different types of switches altogether.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)