Author Topic: Leopold keyboard locking up in Windows 7  (Read 2155 times)

Offline frodeflintstone

Leopold keyboard locking up in Windows 7
« on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 11:26:14 »
So I just switched to a new laptop (Lenovo W520), and type full time on a Leopold 10kl.  Intermittently I have been finding that the blue led for the scroll lock and caps lock keys both light up and the keyboard locks.  If I pull the usb plug out and put it in another port, it works again.  I was thought it might be autohotkey, so I disable it but still have the problem.  The other thing I use is Ditto, the clipboard manager, so I disabled that too.  Still locking.

I will post the same issue on a Lenovo W520 specific forum, but I wanted to check here as well since it is keyboard related.

thank you all!

ff
My Rig:
Leopold 10keyless - Cherry Browns | Lenovo W520 |
128GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA SSD

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 11:28:39 »
May be the port is not supplying enough power. Try a powered hub through that particular port.

Offline frodeflintstone

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 11:36:09 »
There is a "powered" port on the back of the machine (where you can plug in cell phones and such).  I just moved the plug back there... maybe that will fix it.
My Rig:

Offline ownerer

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 13:52:00 »
Don't know how similar this is, but I had an issue with my first Das S, Silent Professional that whenever backspace was hit twice in succession my computer would shut down ("Windows is Shutting Down" style, both in Windows and OS X, no joke!!) and I had to send it back for a new one. Maybe there is a flaw in your Leopold that requires similar action?

Offline frodeflintstone

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 16:47:16 »
@ownerer  - I am hoping that is not the case as I really don't want to part with it for any length of time :)  

I used it on my last machine with Vista (throws up a little in mouth) for about 2 months with no issues.  It has only begun with this new machine / OS.  I did switch the port to the powered one.  It seemed like it locked up again, where the lights on the keyboard lit up.  But then a few seconds later it recovered.  No problems since then, so keeping my fingers crossed.
My Rig:

Offline frodeflintstone

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 09:56:59 »
Well it has now been two days since I switched the plug to the powered port in the back and no further issues... keeping my fingers crossed!
My Rig:

Offline pitashen

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 11:27:23 »
Since when does a USB keyboard needs to be plug into the "powered" USB port?... ಠ_ಠ
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 12:18:57 »
Nah, more like not working in out of spec underpowered USB port.
Edit: You used to see this alot with those 2.5" USB HDDs. Many of them actually supply a splitter to get extra power from another port.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 12:22:25 by laffindude »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:20:16 »
I had this same problem with a Leopold and it was plugged into a powered hub. It is a 7 port hub with 5 devices plugged in (including the Leopold) and the power adapter only outputs 3A which should be fine with up to 6 ports. I noticed this problem happened whenever I unplugged another usb device and it didnt have to be one that was on the hub but one that was using the same controller.