Author Topic: Buckling springs???  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Mater

Buckling springs???
« on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 15:36:27 »
Hi guys, I have a quick question about this keyboard. Just wondering if there is any luck for some juicy buckling springs there. From the front side it looks just like IBM model M but back side tag confuses me. What is it then?

Thanks, Mater
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 November 2011, 15:40:39 by Mater »

Offline grasshopper

Buckling springs???
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 15:44:58 »
I'm almost 100% certain that it's a Model M. The label on the underside looks pretty standard for a Model M manufactured in the UK.

fossala

Buckling springs???
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 15:45:04 »
I think that is the rubber dome ibm.

Offline Mater

Buckling springs???
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 15:53:41 »
So far it sounds inconclusive. I should also add that I did not have it in my hands. Just recieved some pics by email so I cannot test that thing....

Offline Retox

Buckling springs???
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:05:34 »
If I were you I would google every number on the back one by one to see if you can find any more info. That's how I learned about my model m
QFR with ergo clears

Offline kinkng

Buckling springs???
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:06:22 »
Quote from: Mater;448156
So far it sounds inconclusive. I should also add that I did not have it in my hands. Just recieved some pics by email so I cannot test that thing....

Ask the person to pop one of the keycaps off and take a picture. That should confirm whether it is a buckling spring or a rubber dome.
IBM SSK - 4
IBM Terminal Mini 1392980 - 2
IBM 1391401 - 12
IBM 42H1292 - 10
IBM Rubber Dome Model Ms - 6
Filco TenkeyLess Blue switches  - 1
Realforce 86U - 2
Realforce 86UB -1
Realforce 87UB 55g -2
Realforce 87U 45g - 1
Realforce 87U Variable Tenth Anniversary - 1
Noppoo Choc Mini Blues - 2

fossala

Buckling springs???
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:08:30 »
I am wrong from the looks of it all the rubber domes where 7******* as there number

Offline Mater

Buckling springs???
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:17:01 »
I looked up the number and it has lead me to this page: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=GSMH-3FAFVE which says it is a buckling spring. Which is awesome...too bad it is so filthy and keys are a bit...well...the f9 key looks like it has been raped :-(

Offline slueth

Buckling springs???
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:23:32 »
not a big deal, drop keycaps in some denture tabs, take it apart and wash the case. Good as new.  If you really want to clean it, take it all part and you do a bolt mod.

Offline Mater

Buckling springs???
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:39:57 »
Quote from: kishy;448171
The F9 key is a bare keystem with the keycap missing, which is what I was referring to when I said it obviously has 2-piece keys.

Indeed, that IBM doc does say it's buckling spring. Please report back in with the part number in text form with the response so it will be Google-indexed (meaning future searches for your PN will point to this thread, answering this question for future people).

Oh really...interesting....

Anyways I will report back with the outcome and with the PN after I buy that little filthy gorgeous thing :-)

Thanks for the help to everyone :-) M

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Buckling springs???
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:42:14 »
I bought a like new Model M rubber dome 71xxxx the other day at a thrift store for $13 (I guess they knew it was special) and I just wanted the keys.

Case and barrel plate would have been a bonus.

Then I discovered that the keys are different because the center of the stem needs to be filled to push down the dome. Duh.

I was pretty excited to get a set of 1-piece keys, because I want to mod my Greenock 42H for the lightest, quietest possible buckling spring.

So how do I tell what the spacebar is made of? I have a half-dozen in a box, and all I see are marks such as A6 or B8. And one has just the numeral 1 and nothing else.

As I understand it, PBT is preferable. And it has to be PBT to be dyed, is that right?

Thanks
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Pylon

Buckling springs???
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 16:49:13 »
Ripster did several boil tests for PBT vs ABS. Maybe you could do one? ABS deforms at a much lower point than PBT.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Buckling springs???
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 21:01:59 »
It's not that I didn't believe...just was curious and wanted to make sure.