Author Topic: Best tool to pull keycaps with?  (Read 16406 times)

Offline Serket

Best tool to pull keycaps with?
« on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 00:27:10 »
Hey guys, I realize this might be a pretty dumb question.

But, I was wondering what would be the best tool to pull out keys without damaging the plastics around the key in question (A screw driver for example would not be too conducive of this).

Offline Gin

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 00:34:13 »
A key puller like this one.
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,keytools&pid=leokp

They're out of stock at the moment but I think you can get one somewhere else. Maybe even int he classifieds section.

Offline Serket

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:03:24 »
I realize I could order one probably relatively cheaply, but I was mostly wondering if there was some bootleg way to do it. I only need to change a handful of keys just one time, so I was hoping someone has some household item, that I can't think of, that could do the job.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:07:08 »
i actually used a screwdriver on my last mass model m keycap removal, use a wide size screw driver imo, a smaller sized one (the flat part) might "dig" into the keycap if all you do is stick it in and twist.

Offline Serket

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:09:44 »
Was worried about damaging keys, but I suppose if I exercise caution it may get the job done.

Offline Gin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:09:46 »
I see. Here is something you can do.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?18569-HOWTO-Build-your-own-quot-CACTUX-KEYCAP-PULLER-quot&highlight=paper+clip+key

Or bend paper clips like so

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=347&hilit=paperclip

You could also use your credit card or something alike. Slide it underneath the key and lever it up. It's not a bad method although I don't think it's the best method.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:11:47 by Gin »

Offline Serket

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:16:44 »
Paperclips... That's perfect lol. Thanks for all the info guys ^_^;

Offline Gin

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:20:28 »
Be sure to not put too much force into pulling, or you might just rip the stems clean off.
Pull slowly.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 01:53:37 »
Quote from: Serket;448408
Paperclips... That's perfect lol. Thanks for all the info guys ^_^;

When i first got into mech keyboards, I used 2 large paper clips. I hooked one end under opposite corners and it works nicely but it's not that efficient.

I find that this style keycap puller is the easiest:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Keycap-Puller-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cleaning-KeyPuller-Black-/250911654842?pt=AU_Components&hash=item3a6b8003ba#ht_1794wt_1163

I can strip most of the keys (anything without a stabilizer) super easy with it and really fast. For the larger keys like tab, control, caps, etc, i put it on top to bottom and yank quickly. Not hard, just fast and it does the trick. I've stripped more than 80 keyboards with this puller and it is hands down the fastest.

For the larger keys, like shift and spacebar, I find the Leopold/Filco style wire pullers to be the best.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Gin

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 02:00:04 »
Strip me a dolch key set, Bini :)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 02:00:12 »
The ring keypuller scratches keys.

There's a difference between the Leopold and FILCO ones.
Leopold ones are good for pulling smaller keys, once it is pulled, just turn the key puller one way and the key will fall out.

For FILCO ones, you can pull 3-4 keys in 1 go and then open the wires for the keys to fall out. I prefer these for pulling larger keys.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 02:47:12 »
Yeah be careful with the plastic ring style.  It can indeed scratch if you're not careful.  I have the Leopold one and can pull three keys in rapid succession before unloading it.

If you don't want to buy one, paper clips are your best bet.  I wouldn't go near my keyboards with a screwdriver. :O

fossala

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 03:06:34 »
Don't use your bank card. They break :whistle:

Offline pitashen

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 14:31:35 »
If you are too poor to buy a key puller. Here is a solution that i use:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31380[/ATTACH]

Take off those 2 stiff wires and use the "hook"  to hook under the keycap. Then you just "lift" up the keycap with 2 stiff wires, one opposite (or diagnal) of another. It takes some practices, but in the end it works well enough for me that I don't bother wanting to get an actually puller.

lol if u don't get what I am talking about and lack creativity... you are better off spending some bucks buying one... any of those on the market works pretty good.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 14:38:04 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Bry

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 16:43:53 »
I think the best aspect of using a proper puller is that it pulls the key straight up rather than prying it off at an angle. Doing this with cherry switches can cause damage to the stem of the switch as well as the part of the keycap that surrounds the stem. I use my filco wire puller, and even though it isn't the fastest method out there, I don't have to worry about damaging anything :)

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 02:08:01 »
I would say go with a leopold key puller as you do have to hold it open lie you do a filco.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 13:59:24 »
Butter knives can work pretty well, as well as some of the flat tools on a swiss army knife. I usually just use keypullers, but sometimes they are not efficient, and you cant use them that well on bigger keys, like the ISO enter.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Clickey

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 14:16:24 »
I used paperclips at first, but they arent smooth IMO, and can damage the lower edges of the keys. More surface area helps a lot when you are facing a really stuck on key, like most ALPS.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline file_id

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 15:03:19 »
I sometimes use floss if its only to take out 1-2 keys. Some keys you can't get out with the leopold keypuller.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline kps

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 15:14:54 »
I have a couple of the ring type, and have made the bent-whisk type in the past, but usually I just use a DIP IC puller.
  [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31508[/ATTACH]

Offline Gerk

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 16:22:50 »
Built these ones as it was next to impossible to get one of the nice Filco/Leopold wire ones here in Canada (without having to pay twice the value in shipping).  Made from bass guitar strings, a bit of plumber solder and some electrical tape.  They've pulled quite a few keycaps to date.  The "double" one for standard and 1.25 key sizes and the pair of separate ones for anything else.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31517[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31518[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 31519[/ATTACH]
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 18:34:19 »
Quote from: Gerk;449540
Built these ones as it was next to impossible to get one of the nice Filco/Leopold wire ones here in Canada (without having to pay twice the value in shipping).  Made from bass guitar strings, a bit of plumber solder and some electrical tape.  They've pulled quite a few keycaps to date.  The "double" one for standard and 1.25 key sizes and the pair of separate ones for anything else.

That is genius.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 19:26:10 »
Thanks :)  I have been pretty happy with them so far.  I'll probably make another set in the future and this time if I do I will document it in progress for the wiki.  The strings are textured so I was a bit worried about damaging keycaps with it, but so far so good.  Unless you really start trying to saw away at the keys I think they will be fine.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline Serket

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 15:30:14 »
Lots of neat suggestions here, I'm right now super scared for breaking the stem. But hopefully if I pull them straight, I can minimize any kind of damage on it.

Offline slueth

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 15:39:53 »
screw driver is fine for model m keyboards but you want a wire keypuller or one of those plastic ring keypullers.  The plastic ring gives small scratches on the sides if you use it on plastic like pbt though.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 15:43:20 »
Quote from: pitashen;448680
If you are too poor to buy a key puller. Here is a solution that i use:

(Attachment Link) 31380[/ATTACH]

Take off those 2 stiff wires and use the "hook"  to hook under the keycap. Then you just "lift" up the keycap with 2 stiff wires, one opposite (or diagnal) of another. It takes some practices, but in the end it works well enough for me that I don't bother wanting to get an actually puller.

lol if u don't get what I am talking about and lack creativity... you are better off spending some bucks buying one... any of those on the market works pretty good.

These are what I use. Gotta get the right size though. I just leave the wires on them, use two at once and use the loops to get under opposite corners of the keys. Works like a charm.

Just remember, slowly pull up while increasing force. If you think you're pulling too hard, just stop and try again. You shouldn't have to exert over a certain amount, so you'll know if you're doing it wrong.
Dvorak

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:08:05 »
http://www.reddit.com/r/keyboards/comments/m982u/made_my_own_key_puller_for_my_mechanical_keyboard/

Made my own at work today with the suggestions of some people on the board. I cut up a pen cap to act as a smooth handle.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 17:45:05 »
I have several that I made from paper clips, the larger size.

First I connected both to a common stem (like a "Y") then I decided that longitudinal (like a "U") was better. Jury is still out on that.

On beasts like Model Ms they work great, but on some tighter keyboards I have trouble getting between keys, and especially fishing the "Escape" out of its lair.

And since paper clips are such low-grade steel, they bend like crazy if I am being the least bit rough.

I really like that guitar string idea, I need to remember who I know that plays, and who will give me an old string.

Now I am trying to imagine other sources for wire/string/cable/strands that are "just right" .......

Occasionally I employ a butter knife or screwdriver, but only when the situation demands it.

I have removed thousands of keys, with great results, it seems that 99% of my fumbles occur on spacebars. I have wrecked a bunch of those, and it really irritates me, because they have to be "right" because I will either be keeping the keyboard for myself, or selling it on ebay, where I strive to keep a 100% positive rep.

I doubt that any of you have found much different.

Since my current infatuation is the IBM Model F, I have been wondering about those plastic "cleats" or "tabs" that hold down the wire stabilizers for the large keys.

On most keyboards they are molded into the "backplate" or whatever the thing that holds the key stems is called, but on the F they are inserted through holes in the metal plate and melted down like the rivets on Model Ms, a proven bad system.

Is replacement with donor parts, held in place with epoxy or some other adhesive, a reliable long-term repair?
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Mr. R

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 21:00:04 »
I don't mean to bump this month old  thread, but I use something from Arkay key engravers: It's their stainless steel key cap puller.

http://arkayengravers.com/keypuller.htm

The edges of the steel are very smooth and polished (can also be polished more with steel wool and cleaned), it's the easiest to use, especially with Cherry MX Stabilizers. It doesn't damage the key cap edges at all, and I can remove key caps really quickly with this thing. It looks and feels durable. Just send a payment VIA Paypal and order it.
I very, very highly recommend it.