Author Topic: Want to get my mom an ergonomic mechanical keyboard for her birthday, do they exist?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline MaxSC

Hey guys, new to the forums, but I was wondering if you could help me find a mechanical keyboard with an ergonomic layout similar to the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard.

I've looked at TrulyErgonomic.com but unfortunately their boards have an altered layout which I don't think my mom will appreciate/want to get used to.

I don't have a preference of key switches, but brown would be my first choice.

Honestly from doing a bunch of googling already I am not optimistic about these keyboards' availability in the US, but thought it was worth a shot.

Let me know,

Cheers!

Offline ZeroGraVT

There really isn't any mechanical keyboard similar to a ms4000 unless you make your own.  Lots of guys here use the kinesis as their ergo board.  It may look weird at first but it's actually very easy to use.  The standard has brown switches but you can also order one with red switches.

Offline pitashen

Kensis
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline MaxSC

Yea that's what I was afraid of.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Offline jpc

Northgate Omnikey Evolution maybe?

I'd urge anyone who is interested in ergo boards to spend a couple of days with a Kinesis. If there's pain involved, do it ASAP.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline sordna

I would recommend a Goldtouch. It's not mechanical, but by being adjustable it's more ergonomic than the MS 4k, and, at least the specimen I got has wonderfully smooth switches which activate at just 40g of pressure. They also don't bind at all, the keys on MS keyboards sometimes bind if you don't push them in the center.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline MKB

Kenisis makes many ergo boards and some are ans some are not mechanical.  Best to call and ask.

Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Clears)
Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Reds)
Filco Tenkeyless Zero (White Fukkas)
Unicomp SpaceSaver 104 (Buckling Spring)

Past:

IBM Model F (Buckling Spring)
IBM Model M (Buckling Spring)
Northgate (White Alps)
Fujitsu (peerless)
HHKB Pro 2 (Topre)
Deck Legend (Cherry Blacks)
Deck 82 (Cherry Blacks)
Unicomp Customizer 104 (Buckling Spring)

Offline sordna

Good point about Kinesis, their Freestyle keyboard is another good choice, it's an excellent rubber dome. The only mechanical keyboard by Kinesis is the one I'm typing on right now, the Advantage, but I wouldn't recommend it to the OP's mom based on what he said about alternate layouts. You can see what it looks like in my sig pic :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Pretendo

Buy her an M5;  It can be any shape you want!  Only several thousand dollars.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000