Author Topic: Realforce / Deck ?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline wakakaa

Realforce / Deck ?
« on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:34:11 »
Hi all,

I just bought Ducky 9008 Blue switch yesterday, because my previous keyboard was "Microsoft Internet Keyboard" which was dead after 10 years of service....
(For more details, please see http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23945-Replacement-for-my-quot-Microsoft-Internet-Keyboard-quot-%28what-kind-of-switches%29)

However, the Ducky is just too noisy and I realized I hate that clicky sound.
I heard that my previous MS Keyboard was made by rubber domes.... I really don't know what should I go for....

So, i have only 2 questions:

1. Regardless budget, which type of switches suit me most?
Topre switch (RealForce???)
Cherry MX Clear switch (Deck Legend???)

2. Any other better suggestion?

Thank you so much!
Cheers!!!!!

Offline jrockroll

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:39:10 »
happy hacking!

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:56:56 »
If you liked your rubber dome, definitely Topre. Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber, which Cherry users can only dream of.

fossala

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:59:29 »
Once again, I think topres are for people that are too 1337 to own a rubber dome so the convince thereselves that spending $300 on there rubber dome makes it less of one.

Offline drsauced

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:04:30 »
I think a MX Brown board would be more to your liking, a Filco, Rosewill, or a Leopold.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:05:42 »
Quote from: fossala;453335
Once again, I think topres are for people that are too 1337 to own a rubber dome so the convince thereselves that spending $300 on there rubber dome makes it less of one.

Have you ever typed on one? Let me guess, you haven't. It makes your argument null and void.

Whether a keyboard is oh-so-mechanical or a $300 rubber dome, it does not matter. I happen to be much more content with my rubber domes than my buckling spring, Alps, or Cherry keyboards. You mad?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:09:09 by ktkr »

Offline Trueepower

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:27:50 »
Quote from: wakakaa;453316
Hi all,

I just bought Ducky 9008 Blue switch yesterday, because my previous keyboard was "Microsoft Internet Keyboard" which was dead after 10 years of service....
(For more details, please see http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23945-Replacement-for-my-quot-Microsoft-Internet-Keyboard-quot-%28what-kind-of-switches%29)

However, the Ducky is just too noisy and I realized I hate that clicky sound.
I heard that my previous MS Keyboard was made by rubber domes.... I really don't know what should I go for....

So, i have only 2 questions:

1. Regardless budget, which type of switches suit me most?
Topre switch (RealForce???)
Cherry MX Clear switch (Deck Legend???)

2. Any other better suggestion?

Thank you so much!
Cheers!!!!!

You are talking about two opposite type of switches, as far as the force gradient. Clears use a black spring, and require 55 grams to actuate, but as you press them the force becomes even more than a black switch. They are suitable for people who like to touch type, and prefer a heavier switch. Most people wouldn't like them, and its much easier to recommend a light switch. Whether you will think a Topre is worth it, is tough to say. I can tell you that the main difference is the force gradient, as the force of Topre's domes have their weight on top of the stroke and less on the bottom. Where as a cherry switch increases in force as you press down. That is the main difference. There is no better switch, just a matter of preference. Those two swiches as I said, are quite opposite though. Good luck!
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline Internetlad

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:29:12 »
Quote from: ktkr;453339
Have you ever typed on one? Let me guess, you haven't. It makes your argument null and void.

Whether a keyboard is oh-so-mechanical or a $300 rubber dome, it does not matter. I happen to be much more content with my rubber domes than my buckling spring, Alps, or Cherry keyboards. You mad?

Yes.

That said, i've been fully happy with my G15 for the past 5~ years Looking to upgrade to a Leopold TKL soon (brown/red) but a good rubber dome is still a good rubber dome.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline wakakaa

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:29:38 »
Sigh.... every one has different feelings and preferences.....

I am just wondering which type of switch is the closest to my previous Microsoft Internet Keyboard (it is rubber dome?)

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:47:54 »
Quote from: wakakaa;453361
I am just wondering which type of switch is the closest to my previous Microsoft Internet Keyboard (it is rubber dome?)

Yes, it's a rubber dome board.

Topre Realforce and PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional (Topre OEM) lines are the closest because they essentially are rubber dome boards. It's a bit misleading though, because they're nothing like your average rubber domes.

There are other Topre boards too but they're kind of rarities, and the above mentioned ones (Realforce / HHKB) are what people here at GH typically use. Give this a read if you haven't done so yet: http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:55:28 by ktkr »

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 12:55:41 »
Quote from: wakakaa;453361
Sigh.... every one has different feelings and preferences.....

You would enjoy a Topre switch keyboard if you liked the Microsoft keyboard.  It is the closest to the rubber dome you felt, but I wouldn't exclude Cherry Browns or Red out of your selection either.

If you liked the full size keyboard, try the 103UB/UW.  It's a variable switch keyboard, which means the switches differ in weight based on which fingers are using them.  For example, your typical pinky keys (Q, A, etc.) would be 30g.  The next weight is 45g (for your 4th or middle finger) and 55g for your middle and index fingers.  The rest of the keys (F row, numpad, etc.) I believe is just 55g, but I may be wrong here.  But weight aside, variable Realforces feel like you're typing on a slab of butter.  Really smooth transition from one key to the next, and the keys and overall material of the board are of extremely high quality.

Offline pitashen

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 13:56:17 »
just go for realforce if your pocket is deep. save you some extra trouble
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 13:59:01 »
Topre is really the best option for you. You have tried 2 MX switch, and did not like either, so I doubt you will like any of them. If budget is a concern, perhaps a good rubber dome keyboard like PFU Fujitsu (Parent of HHKB(Topre)), Keytronic, or Dell Quietkey would suit you.

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 14:12:20 »
To clarify the post above, PFU offers two kinds of Happy Hacking Keyboards:
- Lite which has generic rubber domes, "cheap"
- Professional which has Topre capacitive switches, expensive. Also has very high quality keycaps made of PBT, I doubt the Lite has PBT caps.

Offline Mazora

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 14:17:08 »
typing on my topre (realforce 87UW) makes me feel like a king. Seriously though, topre in my opinion gives the impression of being "less plastic". Its just more solid keyboard compared to even the godly Filco majestouch 2.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

fossala

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 14:26:33 »
I have not typed on one and I am not saying that they are bad (FYI I may get a HHKB in the future). I am just sick of people masking the fact that they are overpriced rubber domes.
Also be aware that the spacebar is not pbt it is abs.
And the fact that I haven't tried it is irrelivant to what I said, It wasn't a comment on the 'board it was a comment on the users.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 14:32:56 »
No the HHKB lite sucks, but PFU Fujitsu does (or has) make other RD boards that don't. I'm not sure which model it was but I used one at an internet cafe that was pretty decent feeling standard 105 board.

Offline wakakaa

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 00:52:31 »
Quote from: ripster;453432
Most reviewers wouldn't even put the HHKB Lite in the "good rubber dome" category.

How about the Apple Aluminum?

It's also white like the Microsoft Internet.
(Attachment Link) 32224[/ATTACH]

That's the main point.

Where can i get a "good rubber dome" with proper "tactile"???

thanks!

Offline Exoverture

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 03:09:43 »
Quote from: ktkr;453339

Shouldn't bother you so much that people think that about topre, trying to justify it it seems. I've owned more than I can count and end up selling them, even after 6 month stretches with topre. It feels exactly like a longer lasting rubber dome.

Its funny how people go full circle here -> Rubber dome -> Cherry keys -> overpriced rubber dome.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 08:24:54 »
I dont get how people can say things about Topre switches being like and expensive rubber dome rubber dome. I have to regularly use both and The are many things that make a topre mechanical and nothing like a rubber dome. Also just because it uses a rubber dome doesnt mean that is what defines it as a switch. For those people who mash keys im pretty sure its not going to mater what switch they have or will go with what ever feels the best after a good mashing. There are people that like Cherry MX, Alps, Buckling spring, and Topre but none of their reasoning is because it feels like or close to a rubber dome. If you want that feel and style of switch, just get a rubber dome, not everyone needs or likes mechanical keyboards.

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 09:15:24 »
Quote from: Exoverture;455962
Shouldn't bother you so much that people think that about topre, trying to justify it it seems. I've owned more than I can count and end up selling them, even after 6 month stretches with topre. It feels exactly like a longer lasting rubber dome.

Its funny how people go full circle here -> Rubber dome -> Cherry keys -> overpriced rubber dome.

Justify what? My Filco (with a set of PBT keycaps) cost more than my HHKB Pro 2, by a considerable margin.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 09:16:32 »
Quote from: ktkr;456043
Justify what? My Filco (with a set of PBT keycaps) cost more than my HHKB Pro 2, by a considerable margin.
Ouch, how much did you pay for those caps?

Offline ktkr

Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 12:08:58 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;456044
Ouch, how much did you pay for those caps?

Didn't pay a fortune for the caps (imsto's group order), but I got a minty, barely-used HHKB for ~50% of the normal price.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Realforce / Deck ?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 12:10:44 »
Quote from: ktkr;456141
Didn't pay a fortune for the caps (imsto's group order), but I got a minty, barely-used HHKB for ~50% of the normal price.
o ok that would explain then....