Author Topic: "Fake" Model M Industrial  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Sam

"Fake" Model M Industrial
« on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:54:56 »
Rarekeyboardstore, who in my experience is the biggest shyster selling IBM keyboards on eBay is at it again.  Last time he was trying to pawn off regular Model M's that he just painted as industrial.  Now he doesn't even bother to paint them and tries to claim it's an industrial when it's not.  The lies and dishonesty from this seller seem to never end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130603015471

Offline Sam

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:34:01 »
Quote from: ripster;454011
And a 45 day warranty.

I repeat, the guy is nothing but a shyster.  The "warranty" means nothing being he does not stand by his word.  Not just me, but numerous other members of the board have also reported problems with him and his less than honest dealings.  There were obviously some good deals to be had with him a long time ago, but these days he seems to think he can make more money via his dishonest methods.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 21:27:37 »
Quote from: kishy;454006
Epoxied rivets = value is now $5
(perhaps that's an exaggeration, but that asking price is laughable considering the "refurb" job which likely killed all authenticity of the 1986 date anyway since it could have parts as new as 1993 in it for all we know)

At least he's being up front that they are epoxied by providing a photo.
I'll buy one with epoxied rivets: I want some more keycaps to replace the missing ones I have. Also, epoxied rivets means "future bold mod practise run" to me.

Also: Who paid $100? Strikes me as a little much. Can't you almost get an SSK for that much? Is it because it's an "'86" ?

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 09:02:38 »
It's decent condition 131. If it has original springs which were not used much, I'd say it's totally worth hundred bucks. It's very heavy, very noisy and very pingy. All advantages of Model M multiplied.
Btw are you sure you can't fix this couple of drips of epoxy?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 10:06:52 »
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 10:19:45 »
How much should a silver label model m worth if it is used but in good condition?

Offline litster

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:12:49 »
Quote from: litster;454781
How much should a silver label model m worth if it is used but in good condition?

Anyone?  I have one that is in very good condition, but I don't know how much it is worth because I basically got it for free.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 12:29:39 »
I got 2 very nice silver label 131s for about $45-55 each + shipping a few months ago.

One I have bolt-modded, and the other will get the same treatment in the next month or so.

I plan to pick a favorite and sell the other. I am pretty good at it by now, so I will not be "unloading" a "dog" or anything.

I had a REALLY NICE bolt-modded blue label 1401 on ebay that took 2 months to sell, at $45, after slowly dropping from $100, so I doubt I will even try to get over $75 this time, although I think that is too little.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 08:55:13 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 18:04:48 »
Is this ****ing high school?

I have the ability to be quite amused by people who may well be insufferable *******s in person!

Virtual cliques are bizarre to me, I don't use social media because it seems creepy and weird, but since I have teenage children, I will not be able to hold out much longer.

Anyway, I think that the market says that a nice original silver label 131 should be worth $40-50 + shipping, but, I agree, that is far too little.

The 131 is the king of the "One True" keyboards, the 1401s being the more numerous younger brothers of royal family, even if the decades-younger Unicomps are the most desirable princes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 08:58:31 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline litster

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 18:14:14 »
$40-$50 isn't too bad.  Probably will keep it for a while as it is my only silver label Model M.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 22:43:56 »
Quote from: litster;454842
Anyone?  I have one that is in very good condition, but I don't know how much it is worth because I basically got it for free.
You should give it to a deserving person without one for $shipping.

But that's just my take on it. If I got it for free, I'm gonna sell it for that price, too.

Offline litster

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 14:51:03 »
Yes, but she is dead.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:05:01 »
Quote from: ripster;455656
Please send me all your free stuff.  

Got a sister?
She died 13-february 1989

You are deserving of some UPS transformers, or a CRT monitor. Cost is $shipping, as I said.

Offline Sam

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 21:07:53 »
Quote from: ripster;454786
If you want to trash a vendor at least provide specific examples.

Ok, I bought a keyboard from him. The keyboard he sent was not the one pictured.  He originally sent a reply saying he would allow me to return the keyboard.  A few minutes later he sent a reply saying he changed his mind and he wouldn't accept a return.  He admitted that he may have sent the wrong keyboard, but that a Model M was a Model M and I shouldn't be expecting the same keyboard that was pictured in his listing.  As long as it was a Model M I should be happy.

I could have opened a case with eBay, but it's actually not worth it to me for the time and hassle of needing to package it up and return it.  If it was an honest mistake and he was nice about it, I probably wouldn't say anything here.  Being though he saw the need to get real nasty when all I did was send him a message that he sent me the wrong keyboard, I decided I'd get much better use out of simply letting people know what a shyster he is, rather than try to resolve anything with the hothead.  I will continue to let people know what kind of a man he really is at every opportunity, and hopefully that way not as many people will get scammed by him, and he'll end up losing a lot more than he would have if he'd been honest with me about his mistake.

Now as for others who've had problems with him:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17388-Model-M13-119-BIN
Piratebouy posted about buying a keyboard from him and finding out that it had been painted and had a broken spacebar.  Have a read there about what Brian O'Neill's response was.  As you can see, his warranty means nothing because he simply does not stand by his word.  They guy is nothing but an outright liar and scammer.  Ripster, please reread your own responses in that thread:
Brian O'Neill is slacking.
Paint job?

Lol. Well, forget I said anything. I'm just glad I got my Industrial before his Maaco phase.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?8723-Rarekeyboardstore-Issue
Didjamatic bought a board from him described as, "perfect", only to find a lot of keys were damaged.  He then claimed the keyboard wasn't damaged and gave a refund but not the full amount.  You can read all the details and the final outcome in that thread.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?11311-Bought-a-Model-M-from-1985&p=218421&viewfull=1#post218421
KillerBee sent an email to Brian O'Neill about a keyboard he had, but which was purchased from someone else.  Brian O'Neill evidently thought he was a customer of his, but without even checking into any details, fired off this response:
It is not a POS din - it is definately regular. Besides - I gave you a PS/2 cord anyways. As stated clearly in my ad, no returns.

If you care to search the forums, I recall seeing other people also having problems with Brian O'Neill.  Common among people who have problems with him is that he's a total hothead who doesn't accept any responsibility for his mistakes or fraud.  He will immediately fire back a reply accusing the customer of being in the wrong before even checking out what is the problem.  He is not a man of his word.  He may end up refunding you money if he has to, but you will have to go through the hassles to get him to do it.  Granted a lot of people have been happy with their purchases from him.  But it seems to me that anyone who has a problem with a purchase comes away with a very negative view of the man.

I've dealt with over a hundred keyboard different sellers on eBay and only had a problem with two.  One of them I think was trying to be honest but was just totally disorganized and I ended up needing to get Ebay involved to get my due refund.  The other was Brian O'Neill, aka Rarekeyboardstore.  Being I have been pleased with the other 100+ sellers, I'm obviously not a picky buyer who complains at the slightest problem.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 21:12:51 by Sam »

Offline litster

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 21:37:40 »
Sam, thanks for the summary.  I will not buy from the Brian guy for sure.