Author Topic: Homemade (sorta) key dampers  (Read 5036 times)

Offline SpaceAzn_Zen

Homemade (sorta) key dampers
« on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:25:31 »
I'm surprised a lot more people haven't asked about dampers. Well I figured that inside of paying a bit more for my WASD keyboard with the dampers, I would seek another solution. I went to my local Lowe's and found that the size #47 O-ring in the plumbing section is the size that fit my BWU. So I am going to assume that they will fit my WASD keyboard as well. It was like 2.47 for a pack of 10 o-rings. So if you are interested in doing this for your keyboard, I would suggest doing that. The reason I was in the market for this is because the fiancee doesn't like the loud clicking noise of me bottoming out nor my blue switches. This is why I got a wasd brown switch kb and wanted the dampers as well.

The more you know.

Offline fuah

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:46:23 »
There have been lots of posts about o-rings as dampeners! I'm sure Ripster could point you to a wiki article.

You can buy just the o-rings from WASD, if that's your preference. They're cheaper per unit, too.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Offline HWI

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 15:51:37 »
Quote from: fuah;455087
You can buy just the o-rings from WASD, if that's your preference. They're cheaper per unit, too.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html
That's where I got mine, couldn't find them cheaper anywhere else.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 16:23:06 »
And elitekeyboards has landing pads
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 17:38:41 »
Yea I also priced this out by me awhile ago and WASD has a much better deal on them and they are supposedly better quality as well!
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline SpaceAzn_Zen

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 23:25:44 »
yeah I realize that WASD does have the best deal, but more or less this is for the people who wouldn't want to maybe have them for all their keys but for just the letters/top numbers and what not. Kinda a simple solution.

Offline Kick

• Fuego
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 04:53:01 »
Mcmaster has the best deal.

200 for 3 bucks. 5 dollar shipping.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:24:41 »
Quote from: Kick;455378
Mcmaster has the best deal.

200 for 3 bucks. 5 dollar shipping.
what specs?

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:24:46 »
i buy my orings from mcmaster carr

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 16:40:27 »
Orthodontic?
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 17:05:57 »
My daughter got her braces off yesterday. Hooray!

She has a bunch of leftover rubber bands, and I want a damper to keep Model M/Fs (catch the clever pun?) from bottoming out.

I have tried one and it seems to work, but it stretches to a very thin cross-section by the time I work it all the way in.

I would prefer a real O-ring, but the ones for plumbing are far too fat and prevent the key from working properly.

McMaster-Carr is local for me, but they won't let me see the merchandise before I order it.

Has anyone found the right fit for the IBM key stems?

thanks !
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015