Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Judejitsu

Mechanical Keyboard for Gaming
« on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 19:57:22 »
Hey Geekhack,

I'm new to the forum but have been doing a ton of reading on mechanical keyboards. I am currently using a Logitech G110. has nice back lighting and extra features, But I am to looking to upgrade. I have been doing a bunch of searching and have some candidates.

I am looking for a back lit mechanical keyboard, although I am open to non back lit boards if they are really great. I do not want extra buttons or frills, and am weary of back lighting with cheap keys. I do want a number pad and arrow keys (full 104), but I don't need macros or fancy switches, although USB and audio pass-throughs are handy. This keyboard will be purely for gaming, I am not planning on typing very much on this keyboard. I play FPS and RTS games, Mostly CS 1.6, BFBC2 and SC2.

I have used a TT MEKA G1, and have not experienced hand fatigue or discomfort at all, so black switches are definitely in the running, if not in the lead.

My first choice right now is the Mionix Zibal 60. It seems like a really well built keyboard built for gaming. I like the key layout, back lighting and USB/audio ports. I have read a ton of reviews but would like your thoughts/suggestions. I am open to suggestions on what is best, if you think it could help, feel free to tell me.  I have looked at a lot of potential key boards out there, such as Leapold, Deck, DAS, Razer, TT Esports, Zowie, Corsair, Cooler Master, Steel Series, Ducky, AZIO, Rosewill, WASD etc. I know about cherry switches and much of the lexicon so feel free to get technical.

I have no budget limitations, I just want to get the right keyboard for me. This will be my gaming board, I will not be typing very much on this board. Let me know what you guys think! I am open to all thoughts.

Thanks,
Judejitsu
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:11:29 by Judejitsu »

Offline Retox

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 20:35:51 »
The deck legend has my vote. Since in my experience the type of switch is far more influential on the feel than the board, keycap durability is the biggest issue for you.

Backlit keyboards have a huge problem with keycap duarbility, because when the legends wear off you have big glowing fingersized circles on every key.

The deck legend uses a combination of dye sublimation and doubleshot technology so the legends wearing off is a physical impossibility unless you sand blast them for extended periods of time. Also, the deck legend (linear) comes withthe same switches that are on the mionix (black).

Also, if you do some research, you might find that red switches are a better fit. The Cherry g80-3494 has NKRO (great for gaming) and red switches. unfortunately, it is not backlit.

The ducky shine is another option, but the durability of the keycaps is questionable at best IIRC.
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

Thanks Retox
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:00:19 »
Thanks for the advice Retox. Cherry MX red switches are probably good for some people, but I think might prefer a stiffer response. The Deck Legend is definitely a great keyboard, and the printing method is great, but the font that is used, as well as the back lighting bleeding and lighting up the whole base of the board bug me. This is purely due to my taste and pickiness, unfortunately they somewhat of a deal breaker. Unfortunately, I only have USB ports, so I can't take advantage of NKRO.

I really appreciate the help, and I'll look into the keycap durability of laser printed keys.

Offline Retox

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:27:48 »
No problem... Just keep in mind that most of the pictures of backlit keyboards on the internet (specifically the board you linked) are renderings and they won't show the bleeding light effect that you're talking about. In real life however, they will bleed like the deck.

Just make sure that you look for some real user-posted pictures online before you commit, otherwise you'll be disappointed.
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 21:32:17 »
Yeah that is something I have been weary of, and I did see some real pictures of the Mionix, and there was no noticeable bleeding. The deck keyboards are nice keyboards, that's for sure. I'm reading into them. They seem really well built.

Offline Retox

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 22:45:37 »
I don't actually own a deck... I have a TG3 BL82 which is an industrial keyboard built by the parent company of Deck to be used in police cars. It was the inspiration for the Deck 82, and has backlighting. Here's a thread I posted on it.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23674-TG3-BL82-with-Cherry-Clears

All I can say is that it's built "like a brick **** house". The thing weighs like ten pounds and feels like it's military grade.

If you're interested in this keyboard at all.... the standard FAR more common model has cherry blacks. Here's a thread on that.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:13276

The backlighting works after a quick little mod and there is no bleeding at all, even on the highest setting. The LED's are red however, as they were designed not to ruin the nice policemens' night vision. As I said before, the keycaps will last forever... and that's something that can't really be said about any other backlit keyboard brand out there.
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 22:51:46 »
Those are really nice, and the font is way better. Is it possible to get this model keyboard with the full 104 keys?

Thanks again Retox!

Offline Wihl

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 22:57:24 »
Was about to say Filco or Noppoo Choc Mini but noticed you wanted a backlit keyboard... Personally I'd go with the Deck.

Offline Retox

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 23:03:49 »
Quote from: Judejitsu;455295
Those are really nice, and the font is way better. Is it possible to get this model keyboard with the full 104 keys?

Thanks again Retox!

I don't think that it's possible without a special order.... I haven't looked into it because the clear switch version is already so rare that I jumped right on it. Here's the TG3 website:

http://www.tg3electronics.com/products/backlit

As you can see... just the bl82 is at the top.
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 23:24:50 »
Yeah I did go to the site and look , nut they don't have a layout I like. The keycaps on the Decks are really nice, but I'm not sure if I want to go the Deck of the Mionix, I'm not sure how bad laser etched keys really are.

Offline Retox

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:01:10 »
They are this bad:

[video=youtube;kb4TvxENmBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb4TvxENmBg[/video]
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:13:55 »
Yeah that is definitely something I want to avoid. I updated the OP to include non backlit keyboards. I think that back lighting is nice, but will not make or break the deal. I have been looking at WASD keyboards a bit, although I'm sure how good they are for gaming. What do you guys think?

Offline Retox

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:17:49 »
It's all about the type of switch you choose.... even though ducky is generally considered to be lower quality than filco, a ducky with black switches will be better for gaming than a filco with blues.

You really can't go wrong with WASD keyboards. You get complete customization, a keyboard of Filco quality (They are both ade in Costar factories), and unrivaled customer service. Just make sure that you choose black/linear switches before you check out.
QFR with ergo clears

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:45:45 »
Where can I get specs on this keyboard/ where could I buy it? I'm having trouble finding it on your subforum. I'm probably just missing the thread about it.

Thanks

Offline pitashen

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 12:58:37 »
Quote from: Judejitsu;455560
Where can I get specs on this keyboard/ where could I buy it? I'm having trouble finding it on your subforum. I'm probably just missing the thread about it.

Thanks

There is no retail channel for Ducky here except those groupbuys organized by the forums I believe. Actually, I think there is one member here who is from china and he has been selling keycaps and keyboards using geekhack forum. qtan is his user name if I am not mistaken. I remember seeing him taking ducky shine orders.

If you are in America, and since you don't really need to have backlit boards, consider filco, leopold and CMstorm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:01:47 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline cmh

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:37:12 »
If your in the U.S you can get the Ducky Shine from TigerImports.net

Here's a direct link:
http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=search_list&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0&s[search]=ducky+shine

I have one and like it, but after a week I went back to my Filco tenkeyless.  Quality wise my Filco was much better, but if this is your first mechanical keyboard you will love it!  My Filco just made me very picky on what I expect my others keyboards to be like. The Ducky Shine is probably the better backlit mechanical keyboard on the market right now, so it's an overall great choice if you decided to pick it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:47:26 by cmh »
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:46:38 »
The ducky looks nice. Do you guys know what kind of key caps they use? will they wear off like other boards do?

Offline cmh

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 13:58:52 »
ABS double layer laser engraved keycaps.  I don't know much about how well these keycaps hold up compared to others, maybe someone else has more information.

The Ducky Shine is brand new and still not available in many places, so it's going to take time for more people to test how well these keycaps hold up.  Whatever you do, do not buy the Mionix Zibal 60.  A bunch of people are having problems with key cap wear after the first week of use.
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 14:01:50 »
Yeah I'm definitely not getting the Mionix, it just doesn't seem like that high quality of a product. I like back lighting, but quality is the most important thing. If the ducky caps wear off and create big light blobs then that's not what I want either.

Thanks for the advice

Offline Nighted

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 14:03:05 »
There's a full size back lit Noppoo PRO. Seems like a reasonable price. Don't know how good these boards are though.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32454[/ATTACH]
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Balgrog

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 12:07:02 »
Well I just got the WASD (Full customization), and I love it! Got it with cherry browns and that is a solid keyboard. If you don't care about customizing it, I would go with the Zowie Celeritas or Filco. You said you play SC2, if your a fan boy, all of StarTale and Flash uses the Celeritas, and Boxer uses the Filco. None of those keyboards have any extra flair to them (backlighting, usb/audio ports) but they are solid keyboards with at least 6 no key roll over and you can mash on your keyboard hard and they won't budge. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Offline Judejitsu

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 16:24:37 »
Yeah I looked at the the celeritas, I first saw it when Artosis did the StarTale house tour. I got my mouse, the Zowie Mico, beacuse of the shape and switches, which is also used/designed by them. I have been playing a bunch of shooters too, So I'm a bit torn on the switch type. I like that I can get WASD with either black or brown switches while still getting customization. I'll make sure to look into the celeritas further. Maybe I'll see if I can try some browns.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you guys updated