Author Topic: MLG national championships this weekend  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Clickey

MLG national championships this weekend
« on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 15:32:34 »
If anyone is interested but forgot, the MLG national championships is on right now. I think first prize for sc2 is $50,000. Not bad for a weekend of gaming. All the best players in the world are in this one. My money is on MVP to win it.

Heres the link to one of the starcraft streams
http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/live/starcraft_2?slug=scRed
the other stream
http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/live/starcraft_2?slug=scBlue
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Polaris

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 15:46:13 »
Nestea will win. He already gave his throw game to MVP at Blizzcon

Offline Clickey

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 15:51:09 »
MVP beat him (knocked him out) in GSL the last 2 times also. Sucks for teammates to always have to knock each other out because they are both the best of their race.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:31:13 »
whats the difference between this and the gom.tv someone linked a while ago? just different points of access?

Offline Clickey

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:37:13 »
This is a US tournament, GOMTV is a Korean company. Non-Koreans barely play in the Korean one, so this is more of a worldwide tourney, since Europeans, Asians, and Americans play in it, even though the Koreans always take the top spots.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:37:14 »
Quote from: Lanx;455809
whats the difference between this and the gom.tv someone linked a while ago? just different points of access?

Completely different leagues. GSL is a league that runs everymonth for the whole month and MLG is more of a tournament style over a weekend.

Anyone watching atm?
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:43:43 »
oh that sounds cool, any non koreans worth mentioning/watching? I'd like to see a totally one sided fight.

Offline wongster

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 19:59:27 »
I'm watching MLG at the moment. Really good games today.

Idra, Huk, and Naniwa are really good non-koreans worth watching, though I doubt anything will be a totally one sided fight since all the players left are quite skilled.
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 20:17:25 »
Quote from: Lanx;455821
oh that sounds cool, any non koreans worth mentioning/watching? I'd like to see a totally one sided fight.

HuK and Idra are still in. Both of them are amazing foreigners.

Also Idra vs MC is a grudge/rivalry match (coming soon). Those guys hate each other.

Quote from: wongster;455826
I'm watching MLG at the moment. Really good games today.

Idra, Huk, and Naniwa are really good non-koreans worth watching, though I doubt anything will be a totally one sided fight since all the players left are quite skilled.

I watched a lot of yesterday and today's games.

Idra vs Nestea was so intense.
And just now the Nestea vs Naniwa game. How did Naniwa do it? @_@

Yeah the calibre of games are just getting better and better. So much learning = D

Offline wongster

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 20:33:22 »
Nestea vs. Naniwa should be pretty good! Keeps getting delayed though. Arg!
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 20:38:45 »
Quote from: wongster;455844
Nestea vs. Naniwa should be pretty good! Keeps getting delayed though. Arg!

ITS BACK!

GO NESTEA. I've been disapointed in his recent performance tho = /

Offline mcsnails

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 21:00:25 »
naniwa beats nestea >:(
pretty cheesey strats if you ask me
also, the thumbs down and calling mlg a "joke tournament" adds to the list of reasons of why I dislike naniwa

Offline nar

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 November 2011, 23:53:34 »
I wish steelseries would do another of their 40% off coupons that they sometimes do whenever a tournament they are sponsoring goes on.

But this tournament is going to be very interesting going into the last day, out of the 4 players I thought would have the highest chance of taking the tournament, only huk is left in the winner's bracket and MVP got knocked down to the loser's bracket quite early as well.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 01:53:44 »
I haven't been able to watch at all this weekend.  Hoping to catch the finals at least.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 02:17:17 »
Quote from: Lanx;455809

MLG is an American tourney that tours different cities throughout the year. This is the final, and has players from every region of the world.

GSL is a Korean tourney that happens every month and is almost entirely Koreans. It is generally considered the most important tournament because it has all the top Koreans, and therefore the best of the best.

The prize money from GSL is $50,000 for winning a monthly tourney, whereas with the American tournies they can be as much but are only once or twice a year.

I think HuK will make it to the final, MVP will make it out of losers bracket to the Grand Final and win the tourney.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 02:21:27 »
Quote from: Clickey;455942
GSL is a Korean tourney that happens every month and is almost entirely Koreans. It is generally considered the most important tournament because it has all the top Koreans, and therefore the best of the best.

I kind of wish GSL was only quarterly.  It would give it more oomph.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 18:42:40 »
I like MLG (and similar tournaments) compared to GSL.  The GSL allows players a lot of time in between to prepare and rest as necessary, whereas the MLG-esque tournaments are typically a lot more volatile.  MLG complements the mental stress by adding on physical endurance to continue and play through brackets and brackets endlessly.  I'm also pretty impatient by nature, so I love to see matches playing all day for 3 days :)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 19:48:25 »
Loving me some finals right now!  I always root for the zerg.

Offline wongster

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 19:59:05 »
As much as I like seeing the foreign scene take some wins, I can't help but get excited when a zerg is in the finals. So exciting!

Offline Clickey

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 20:08:54 »
Leenock suprises, he earned it though.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 20:56:35 »
Quote from: wongster;456427
As much as I like seeing the foreign scene take some wins, I can't help but get excited when a zerg is in the finals. So exciting!

Zerg hwaiting! = D

Offline mcsnails

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 November 2011, 21:03:44 »
that was quite a final matchup

and I also have 2 things from reddit:
1. that top poster looks awfully familiar....
2. this picture on the frontpage of r/starcraft features a keyboard that looks awfully familiar from someone's signature here at geekhack

Offline Reptile

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 13:26:40 »
Quote from: mcsnails;456459
that was quite a final matchup

and I also have 2 things from reddit:
1. that top poster looks awfully familiar....
2. this picture on the frontpage of r/starcraft features a keyboard that looks awfully familiar from someone's signature here at geekhack

I don't think that is anyone on GH. That's at the barcraft here in Boise I met him at the last one. He just got that keyboard.
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline Balgrog

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 14:53:12 »
Leenoks play was something I haven't seen before. He won everything in the most convincing fashion. He 2-0'd HuK who not only is an incredible player, be Leenok manhandled him both games. That was incredible.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 18:13:16 »
Quote from: Balgrog;456885
Leenoks play was something I haven't seen before. He won everything in the most convincing fashion. He 2-0'd HuK who not only is an incredible player, be Leenok manhandled him both games. That was incredible.

I loved the finals, he knew what kind of player Naniwa was, and picked him apart that way. Was amazing.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 18:15:38 »
Finals was not good ;(

Quote from: hazeluff;457013
I loved the finals, he knew what kind of player Naniwa was, and picked him apart that way. Was amazing.
5 games, 5 FFE, I think any decent zerg would have done the same. I had no idea what he was thinking the last game to FFE on Xel'Naga Caverns  after he got smashed FFEing on Tal'Darim Altar LE where you could actually wall off.

Definitely did not look like the Naniwa that played throughout the weekend. I wanted him to lose too :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 November 2011, 18:19:21 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 18:43:31 »
Quote from: tsangan;457015
Finals was not good ;(

5 games, 5 FFE, I think any decent zerg would have done the same. I had no idea what he was thinking the last game to FFE on Xel'Naga Caverns  after he got smashed FFEing on Tal'Darim Altar LE where you could actually wall off.

Definitely did not look like the Naniwa that played throughout the weekend. I wanted him to lose too :p

To be honest, Leenock did "all-in" because a lot of the times it was Hatchery cancel. He got very far ahead because of this tho, but most zergs don't want to take this risk as you're far behind if it's scouted. Naniwa has a personality I don't like very much, but never the less he's got very amazing play and that's what I care about a bit more. I don't think Naniwa expected Leenock to use the same build over and over against him. I think a lot came down to metagaming, but both player's mechanics were just sick as hell.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 19:03:10 »
Quote from: hazeluff;457027
To be honest, Leenock did "all-in" because a lot of the times it was Hatchery cancel. He got very far ahead because of this tho, but most zergs don't want to take this risk as you're far behind if it's scouted. Naniwa has a personality I don't like very much, but never the less he's got very amazing play and that's what I care about a bit more. I don't think Naniwa expected Leenock to use the same build over and over against him. I think a lot came down to metagaming, but both player's mechanics were just sick as hell.
He only went for quick roaches a lot of times because Naniwa went FFE and most of the time it's nexus first too rofl :p As a zerg if protoss FFE you either take a quick 3rd or you can punish with roaches, and FFEing on Xel'Naga Caverns with Nexus first, that's beyond bold.

Yeah i don't like Naniwa his mannerism is wack, but hey he played pretty well all weekend, he took out nestea twice.
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 19:06:10 »
Quote from: tsangan;457048
He only went for quick roaches a lot of times because Naniwa went FFE and most of the time it's nexus first too rofl :p As a zerg if protoss FFE you either take a quick 3rd or you can punish with roaches, and FFEing on Xel'Naga Caverns with Nexus first, that's beyond bold.

Yeah i don't like Naniwa his mannerism is wack, but hey he played pretty well all weekend, he took out nestea twice.

When protoss FFE, I proxy hatch in their base. = D But people started to learn, so I stopped = (.

As zerg, Terran/Protoss IMBA. Leenock's just too good.

Offline wongster

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 19:07:09 »
I have to agree that Naniwa's games in the finals didn't quite look like his dominating play in previous matches. Despite being outplayed, I think he put up some incredible games vs. Leenock. There were many times I thought Naniwa was straight up done, but he still made Leenock work hard for his win. Great games, IMO.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 20:15:57 »
I've always ragged on SC tournies (lolkoreans etc.) but never actually watched one. Maybe i'll have a sit-down one of these days. Might be interesting.

Are these mano a mano or teams?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 20:19:37 »
Quote from: Internetlad;457093
I've always ragged on SC tournies (lolkoreans etc.) but never actually watched one. Maybe i'll have a sit-down one of these days. Might be interesting.

Are these mano a mano or teams?

They are 99% 1v1. Cept the EG masters league/cup That has some 2v2 I think.

I'd suggest watching Dreamhack,which will be coming up. Others to watch are MLG/GSL (gomtv.net).

I'd say MLG/Dreamhack feel more epic, whereas GSL is just a ton of games to watch.

Everything feels so much more intense Live than rewatched imo. = /

Anyway definitely check them out.

Offline nar

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 14:20:15 »
Quote from: hazeluff;457099
They are 99% 1v1. Cept the EG masters league/cup That has some 2v2 I think.

I'd suggest watching Dreamhack,which will be coming up. Others to watch are MLG/GSL (gomtv.net).

I'd say MLG/Dreamhack feel more epic, whereas GSL is just a ton of games to watch.

Everything feels so much more intense Live than rewatched imo. = /

Anyway definitely check them out.

One thing to note is there are team leagues that are all 1v1 matches, basically it's just each team sends out a player and depending on the format for example the winner will stay on while the loser's team sends someone else until a certain number of wins. I guess thinking about it, those team leagues are kind of like baseball sending when batting.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:11:32 »
Quote from: nar;457609
One thing to note is there are team leagues that are all 1v1 matches, basically it's just each team sends out a player and depending on the format for example the winner will stay on while the loser's team sends someone else until a certain number of wins. I guess thinking about it, those team leagues are kind of like baseball sending when batting.

Yeah, GSTL is the team league I follow. It is kinda like baseball or like one of the tekken fighting modes. Just as entertaining as individual leagues. But if you're looking to find replays, the MLG that just happened has some amazing games.

Offline wongster

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:49:02 »
I like the GSTL simply for the fact that we get to see different matchups other than Terran vs. Terran and different players (with the possibility of different play styles and strategies). Many players from the Korean teams are really talented, but just haven't had a chance to showcase their skill in Code S.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:04:44 »
Quote from: wongster;457745
I like the GSTL simply for the fact that we get to see different matchups other than Terran vs. Terran and different players (with the possibility of different play styles and strategies). Many players from the Korean teams are really talented, but just haven't had a chance to showcase their skill in Code S.

I love it for the same reason. Plus I love whole teams in general. SlayerS Hwaiting. Them and MVP (got a super awesome hat signed by DRG and Guineapig)

Offline Clickey

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 02:15:07 »
Naniwa was a one trick pony. He only had to win 3 games to get to the grand final, whereas Leenock had to play through open bracket and dozens of matches. I think he got lucky that Nestea had a couple off games (probably because hes not used to international tournies) and he only beat Huk because PvP is broken. Skill is relatively meaningless in PvP, it is so much to do with luck on build pick that its just stupid. I think MVP was playing bad for him, but still was the best player at the tourney. Leenock won his games well, but I didn't really see anything great specificly about what he did.

I dont like Naniwa's attitude at all, he is not funny in his cockyness like Huk or MC, he is just a nasty little dirtbag. Apparently he said something about Nestea's play being random and stupid, yeah thats why it won him 3 GSLs.

Although I find all the phony friendliness in SC2 boring, I hate even more the blatent disrespect for the game, its fans, other players, and the organizers of the tournaments, that this little a**hole puts out.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 06:29:04 »
Quote from: Clickey;458113
Naniwa was a one trick pony. He only had to win 3 games to get to the grand final, whereas Leenock had to play through open bracket and dozens of matches. I think he got lucky that Nestea had a couple off games (probably because hes not used to international tournies) and he only beat Huk because PvP is broken. Skill is relatively meaningless in PvP, it is so much to do with luck on build pick that its just stupid. I think MVP was playing bad for him, but still was the best player at the tourney. Leenock won his games well, but I didn't really see anything great specificly about what he did.

I dont like Naniwa's attitude at all, he is not funny in his cockyness like Huk or MC, he is just a nasty little dirtbag. Apparently he said something about Nestea's play being random and stupid, yeah thats why it won him 3 GSLs.

Although I find all the phony friendliness in SC2 boring, I hate even more the blatent disrespect for the game, its fans, other players, and the organizers of the tournaments, that this little a**hole puts out.

I like some trash talk and maybe some disrespect among players (Idra). Not to the game/fans/organizers tho. Naniwa has a weird attitude and it's not one I like in particular.

As for PvP being broken, I'm sure you can agree it's better than 4v4gate. I stopped playing toss and became zerg because of that. I just couldn't micro as hard as most other players. Then two weeks later they patch it...

Offline nar

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 08:05:49 »
Well in an interview, Naniwa did say people misunderstood him and he didn't mean to say that Nestea was playing stupid. Though really it looked like MVP and Nestea (and a bunch of other Koreans) where suffering from Jet Lag or something (Some of them, including MVP and Nestea, did get awakened at night right before the tournament started by a fire alarm).

Also I don't agree with skill being relatively meaningless in PvP, a lot of the time, the only thing that matters in PvP is micro. At the very least the fact that you can BO loss in PvP in a variety of builds rather than just always 4Gate or Colossi is nice.