Author Topic: Ducky 1087 XM green clicky tactile  (Read 2047 times)

Offline vipjun

Ducky 1087 XM green clicky tactile
« on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 01:30:53 »
Just received this alps XM clicky tactile keyboard.

Review:  

The quality seems pretty decent. except for 1 annoyance the spacebar.  They use metal wire stabilizers like the ones in cheap domes, its a bit wobbly.
I think they should have used a higher force switch for the spacebar, although i dont have trouble with accidental presses. Would any1 be willing to sell me an Alps white or 1 of those pink ones with the rubber dampeners switches?

The keys seem to actuate really early compared to a cherry.  Its near impossible for me to press the key and not have it actuate.
Downside is if you bottom out your keys will start autorepeating if you have lazy fingers.  This is more unforgiving than a Cherry ML or MX boards that i've tried.
Could there possibly be a mod or something ? i'd really love to keep this board.

The thing i don't like about the O ring type mods is.  the feel when you bottom out is really crappy compared to a scissor switch.  And I do play games so I must bottom out.

Comparison wise this feels very similar to a blue switch, only difference is it actuates slightly earlier, has the click when you press down but no second click when the key goes back up.
My best guess is.

3.5mm to bottom out
1.mm actuation
1.mm reset

key rides on top of actuation at 45g and bottoms out instantly at 50g.

I was going to sell this board, but as i started typing with my scissor switch i started to miss the alps board.  I don't really want 2kb's attached to 1 comp tho so i'm not sure what to do.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32621[/ATTACH]
WTT Realforce 87ub variable for 55G / MX PCB mount
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42360.msg861771#msg861771

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 02:30:08 »
man I wish someone would do a review on this vs the non clicky version they sell.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 02:48:52 »
There are 2 non-clicky switches on the board with clickies, and they feel like crap.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 02:56:33 »
Quote from: laffindude;457251
There are 2 non-clicky switches on the board with clickies, and they feel like crap.

Oh really I didnt know that.. is it the black alps switches then?

Thanks for the info.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline vipjun

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 03:14:08 »
in the picture attached they are shown as some kind of white white / off white switch,

seems to actuate at 45 and bottoms out around 75.  I'm not sure they are the same switches as the non tactile one those are black colored. but they are not the same as the real alps blacks.
WTT Realforce 87ub variable for 55G / MX PCB mount
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42360.msg861771#msg861771

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 03:33:34 »
Capslock and Scroll lock are both linear rswitches.

They feel like absolute crap. Feels like they are rubbing. First 3mm'ish of travel is extremely light, then from then until the end, it gets heavier exponentially. Then, when it's coming up, it feels like it's rubbing against something, then it suddenly lets go and it's light. Kinda like popping a cork on a bottle of wine.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 09:31:47 »
Quote from: jpm804;457256
Oh really I didnt know that.. is it the black alps switches then?

Thanks for the info.

The two linear switches on this board are white in color and have an LED attached.  I agree with the OP in saying they feel like crap (better than a RD I guess).  

BUT I have no idea if this key is the same as the black ALPS (XM) they have for the linear board.
Erlang your pants off

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 09:49:21 »
Is there any sort of reset delay on the switch? I really liked Cherry blues when testing them, but once in a while the click wouldn't reset at the activation point and I'd have to completely release the key. Not good for hovering the key!
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:46:01 »
Ok, thanks.

Probably 6 + 4 KRO, but someone should test the thing for the wiki.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.