Author Topic: KBC Poker (Cherry MX Brown) or Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry MX Brown)?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline JimBobMorris

I'm torn between getting either the KBC Poker or Leopold Tenkeyless as my portable keyboard.

They are both around a similar price range and both look very appealing.

Suggestions, comments?
Leopold TKL Black w/ Cherry MX Blues | Deck 82 (Ice) w/ Cherry MX Blacks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
KBC Poker (Cherry MX Brown) or Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry MX Brown)?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:24:10 »
I have both and they are both great keyboards. But if I was going to be carrying one around all day, I would take the Poker every time. It is much lighter and when I have to carry something around all day long any reduction in weight is much welcome.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:25:15 »
I say poker. I love mine

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 12:25:26 »
Apple aluminum is bluetooth thought right? So might not work in a lot of places. Also, since both the ones mentioned have detachable cables it's not really a big deal. I own both and for carrying around I'd go for the Poker because of it's size. Also I love having the arrows and delete/home/end/page up/page down all accessible from the main cluster using the function key. People complain about numpads but I want to complain that even tenkeyless is too big!
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline JimBobMorris

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:14:03 »
Alright, guess i'm leaning towards the KBC Poker. :)

Still i'm wondering in terms of build quality is there any reason the Poker may not last as long as the Leopold? Are they of similar build quality?
From the pics i've seen and basing my judgement purely on looks the leopold looks a hell of a lot sturdier. Can someone comment on this aspect?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 17:21:52 »
Quote from: JimBobMorris;457771
From the pics i've seen and basing my judgement purely on looks the leopold looks a hell of a lot sturdier. Can someone comment on this aspect?

The Leopold is a hell of a lot sturdier.  There's no denying that the Poker feels light and flimsy by comparison.  A big part of that is due to the Leo's is mounting plate (the Poker is PCB-mounted).  But of course the lightness is also part of what makes the Poker a great travel keyboard.  Trade-offs to consider. *shrug*

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:10:48 »
I actually like that the Poker is PCB mounted, it makes pressing the keys a little softer than on a metal plate, not sure how other people feel about this though. I've never really been all that worried about build quality, it's not like I ever had a keyboard fail out of the blue from normal usage (thought that has happened to me with two mice).

The weight of the keyboard has never been something that really impresses me either, is there a cut off point where weight starts to be considered bad or is the two ton keyboard going to be the best even if you can't put it on a table without the table collapsing? :D
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline JimBobMorris

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 19:18:47 »
Weight isn't a huge deal for me really. i lug my 16" dell xps around with me everywhere so an extra pound or so weight difference in the keyboard isn't a big deal.

I've been looking at the deck 82 which looks comparable to the Poker in size, at least more comparable than the Leopold.

Has anyone had any experience with the deck 82? I searched the forums for a review on it to no avail.
The key placement looks a bit cramped but i'd like to know how it actually "feels" during use.