Author Topic: Matrix layout & cherry mx switches?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Fobbah

Matrix layout & cherry mx switches?
« on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:39:46 »
Does such a board exist yet, or is the TE the only matrix board with cherry mx switches in (proposed) existence? (not including the really funky ergo boards like kinesis/maltron)

I suppose the other option is the symmetric stagger pcb, which is getting closer, but still not ideal.. Also the ergoDox which i will probably try, but what i'm really looking for is a compact tenkeyless design with matrix layout, either in ergo shape like TE or typematrix with mx blues (or browns or blacks/reds, whatever i can get).

If it doesnt exist and TE doesn't get off the pot in the next 6 months i might take a crack at designing my own and getting some PCBs made up. I have (some) EE skills and access to CNC machining/laser/plasma cutting for making cases out of steel/aluminium/stainless, and there are plenty of mobs out there that will manufacture PCBs for me. I think i could pull it off, but it'd be a pretty major project.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 13:57:45 »
There is matrix layout like the g80-1950 but... I don't think thats really what you are after?

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 14:02:23 »
Saw that before, but yeah, not exactly ideal. One hell of a weird layout for use as an actual KB and a lot of wasted space. I'm sure it's fantastic for POS though :)

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 14:07:17 »
Hmm on closer inspection it looks like you can move the larger keys around and it's literally one big matrix, so layout isnt really an issue..

That is pretty damn cool and tempting and while it's not what i'm looking for maybe i'll grab one :)

That said as far as i'm aware there is a big niche supposedly being filled by the TE here, but it looks doubtful that it will ever be made, and while the typematrix has a nice layout, no cherrys.. so still thinking making one myself is the best option here, although buying one would be one hell of a lot easier.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 14:56:14 »
my favorite programmable keyboard brand: Tipro
also in Matrix Layout and of course w/ Cherry MX Blacks