Author Topic: In Search of Full Sized SMK-like Boards  (Read 1239 times)

Offline REVENGE

In Search of Full Sized SMK-like Boards
« on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 16:59:46 »
I am in need of a replacement for an SMK-104/105 module. As far as I know, the only recent board which has approximately the right key spacing is the Matias Tactile Pro 3.0. If anybody knows of other full size boards, Cherry or ALPS, that are OEM'd by SMK, please let me know. I'm guessing another possible candidate is the cheapo APC gaming board, but I would really prefer an ANSI layout with single height, wide Backspace / Pipe / Enter keys. Cherry is also preferred over ALPS, but I'm not aware of any recent full size Cherry boards made by SMK.

The characteristics I need are: F1 above 1 and F9 above -, symmetrical horizontal spacing between the F, system / arrow, and numpad clusters, and a tight spacing between the Esc / F / System row (0) and the numeric row (1). If SMK still OEMs the Tactile Pro, then it seems that its spacing is basically exactly what I'm talking about.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Gerk

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:50:16 »
I have a Matias Tactile Pro 3.0 if there's anything you would like me to check on it.  Also might even sell it if you're interested, not sure where you are located ...

Actually now that I re-read your post I have both of those boards, if there's anything you'd like compared.  The cheap APC blue-alps board is not bad at all for the money, but the keycaps it comes with suck pretty badly.  I put a set of old NeXT keycaps on it and am much happier with it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 November 2011, 18:52:38 by Gerk »
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 19:08:15 »
Quote from: Gerk;457851
I have a Matias Tactile Pro 3.0 if there's anything you would like me to check on it.  Also might even sell it if you're interested, not sure where you are located ...

Actually now that I re-read your post I have both of those boards, if there's anything you'd like compared.  The cheap APC blue-alps board is not bad at all for the money, but the keycaps it comes with suck pretty badly.  I put a set of old NeXT keycaps on it and am much happier with it.

Cool! Have you disassembled either of them? I'd like to see some pics of the internals if you don't mind. I have a case that I would like to reuse, so it's just the modules I'm interested in. A Cherry board would be ideal, but I could settle for ALPS.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Gerk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 19:13:51 »
I haven't disassembled either .. that's not something I'm really very good with.  If I tried I would bust the cases for sure.  I just pulled my TP3 off the shelf to give it a try again and I've confirmed that I really don't like these boards much (that's a personal thing I suppose).  I also just spent a bit more time with the cheap ALPS gaming board and I have to say that I like it much more.  The blue ALPS based switches are a bit weird though .. they are very very light touch -- but at the other end of things I find the white ALPS in this TP3 too heavy of a touch.

I think I'm just too picky!

Wanna buy the Tactile Pro 3?  I just decided it's going on the chopping block for sure.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 21:50:32 »
Quote from: Gerk;457866
I haven't disassembled either .. that's not something I'm really very good with.  If I tried I would bust the cases for sure.  I just pulled my TP3 off the shelf to give it a try again and I've confirmed that I really don't like these boards much (that's a personal thing I suppose).  I also just spent a bit more time with the cheap ALPS gaming board and I have to say that I like it much more.  The blue ALPS based switches are a bit weird though .. they are very very light touch -- but at the other end of things I find the white ALPS in this TP3 too heavy of a touch.

I think I'm just too picky!

Wanna buy the Tactile Pro 3?  I just decided it's going on the chopping block for sure.
How much for the TP3? To be honest, I'm *really* trying hard to find a Cherry based replacement, but I might be willing to experiment with a TP3 in the meantime.
◕ ‿ ◕