Author Topic: Buyind Advice (German Layout)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Kajover

Buyind Advice (German Layout)
« on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 07:28:50 »
Hi!

I am looking into buying my first mechanical keyboard and would like to get some advice on which one is the best for my needs. The keyboard is going to be mostly used for gaming (FPS) therefore macro keys or a numeric keypad will not be greatly missed. The only features I would like it to have are mechanical keys (preferably red or brown), keys that are not going to wear out, a standard German layout and if possible media keys, be it designated or through a modifier key (Fn). One problem that arises is shipping or the layout availability considering I live in Austria (Europe).

The keyboards which I am checking out (through online reviews) are:
  • x Filco Majestouch 2 for 150€ (via The Keyboard Company/getDigital available in Dec.) < Keys wear out, no Ninja model with required layout
  • x Ducky Keyboards (via PChome) < only U.S. (with optional Chinese characters)
  • x Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent for 135€ (via getDigital) < lettering wearing off?, design does not reflect my personal preference
  • x QPAD MK-85/QPAD MK-50 for 100€/170€ (via QPAD) < in regard to the MK-80: cheap built quality, lettering of the keys wearing off?
  • x Corsair Vengeance K60 for ~100€ < Function keys and keys above the arrow keys are rubber domes
  • x Steelseries 6Gv2 for 78€ (via Amazon) < good price, but again the lettering is wearing off fast
Currently I am considering buying either the Filco Majestouch 2 or the Corsair Vengeance K60. Please, correct me if I made any mistakes and it would be great if you could recommend me any other keyboards or websites that do not come with a steep price tag.

Also, is there a difference between connecting the keyboard through a USB / PS/2 adapter or a PS/2 connector?

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 07:53:50 »
Don't worry about lettering wearing off fast!

You just need to order some double-shot keycaps from my Round 4 group buy and any (Cherry MX) keyboard will do ...
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 13:15:18 »
regarding usb vs ps2: most keyboards are only nkro via ps2 (due to tho usb hid protocol), usb is 4 keys and 2 modifiers IIRC (im on the train on an android, so i cant check).
Generally a ps2 keyboard must usually be plugged in at boot, and if you unplug you must reboot. whereas usb is hotpluggable by nature (you can plug and unplug it at wilr without rebooting).
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline Gin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 19:26:32 »
I'm sorry to tell you this but unless you buy a set of doubleshot keys, your key legends are gonna wear out.

Offline Kajover

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 19:37:21 »
If I were to buy a Filco "tenkeyless" keyboard, would it be possible to buy all the keys (in the future) as double-shot ones with the same or almost same look as the original ones?

Offline Gin

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 19:39:20 »
Quote from: Kajover;458740
If I were to buy a Filco "tenkeyless" keyboard, would it be possible to buy all the keys (in the future) as double-shot ones with the same or almost same look as the original ones?

No, not unless you strike a deal with signature plastic(for a crazy price if you are not doing a group buy). And even then, the keys won't be the exact same.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 13:04:14 »
I wouldn't realy worry about keys wearing out too much... You can always get new ones ;D

Also, option is to get some board and then Cherry's used double shots for those keys which are used and matter. German is atleast easy layout to get keycaps for...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 14:11:25 »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 20:31:39 »
Cherry G80-8000 would definitely be one of the tops on my list if I live in europe...
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //