Author Topic: Das Silent quieter than other kb's with browns?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline codek

Das Silent quieter than other kb's with browns?
« on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 22:58:17 »
I just got a hold of a leopold Tenkeyless with cherry browns and they still too loud for the office. I like to bottomout. Is the das ultimate silent going to be quieter even though it has the same switches?

Any other keyboards that are quieter, not looking for a scissor or a Topre and rings as a last case resort

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 23:06:06 »
Not really. I believe it would be darn near the same... Try landing pads and o-rings for your Leopold.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 November 2011, 23:21:45 »
Quote from: SmallFry;458775
Not really. I believe it would be darn near the same... Try landing pads and o-rings for your Leopold.

Both Soft Landing Pads and O-Rings would probably not work

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 00:08:12 »
You could just practise not bottoming out, it doesnt cost you a cent and its better for your hands :]
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 16:51:35 »
Quote from: regicide;458796
You could just practise not bottoming out, it doesnt cost you a cent and its better for your hands :]

For me, the top out noise is still loud though.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 17:37:26 »
My das is louder than my leopold. I don't know why, but it's significantly louder.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 03:04:42 »
Quote from: sam113101;459054
My das is louder than my leopold. I don't know why, but it's significantly louder.

DAS's enclosure has tons of empty spaces for the sound to echo and resonate.

DAS marketed it as silent because... brown is one of the quieter switch compares to blue... but none that matters once you bottom out on all of them.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 22:27:52 »
I have been using dampening orthodontic bands with my Cherry Brown board at work for a month now, and I would not recommend it. The feel is not very good because I quite often tend to press Browns down deep enough to touch the rubber band. They are going to be removed in the coming week.
🍉

Offline Gerk

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 22:34:06 »
If you like to bottom out then the best you're going to get with mechanicals of any kind is to do something like the o-ring mod ... other than that the only thing that's going to make bottoming out big time quiet are rubber domes at the bottom of it all ;)  I find my Das is a bit quieter than my Leopold TKL (both browns) but I think that's mostly because my Leo still has some ping to it ... gotta break it in some more.  The das has many many miles on it (but it never did have any ping either).
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 01:43:37 »
Quote from: Gerk;459441
If you like to bottom out then the best you're going to get with mechanicals of any kind is to do something like the o-ring mod  

That is a lie. There is always cream alps.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Gerk

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 01:46:39 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;459490
That is a lie. There is always cream alps.

Ok I stand corrected.  Had never even heard of these before today.  Can you actually buy a board with them these days?
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)