Author Topic: buying advice (mechanical keyboard)  (Read 5451 times)

Offline samsara

buying advice (mechanical keyboard)
« on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 15:15:55 »
Hello,

I live in Denmark so I got limited options. I've been looking into these:
Steelseries 6gv2 (black)            98USD
Blackwidow non-ultimate (blue)  108USD
Blackwidow ultimate (blue)       163USD
Tt Meka G1 (black)          160USD
Zowie Celeritas (brown)          162USD
Filco Majestouch-2 (brown)        212USD
Das Keyboard Silent (brown)       177USD

I've converted the prices from Danish crowns to US dollars.

I need the keyboard primarily for lots of school work and a bit of casual gaming. It would be nice if the keyboard can withstand violence when I lose a game lol.

The 6gv2 seems like the best bet, but I've heard the MX blacks aren't that good for typing.

I would love some suggestions. I just want to get what I pay for. If the Filco is really more than 2x worth the Steelseries it might be the one.

Offline Gin

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 16:10:56 »
Have you checked out Rosewill keyboards?
I think they're of almost the same quality of steelseries keyboards if not better.

Brown
Red (Free shipping with restrictions)
Black
Unfortunately the blue switch keyboards are already sold out.

I don't think the Filco is worth 2x the steelseries.

I don't know what the shipping might end up being. But I think these are good options to consider.

GL
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2011, 16:22:15 by Gin »

Offline pitashen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 November 2011, 16:23:48 »
Have you considered the original cherry brand keyboards? G80-3000. They are pretty cheap in Europe.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline samsara

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 05:58:17 »
Hello,

I forgot to say that I can't use a US keyboard. I need a 105 key keyboard, well at least i think I do. I don't know what will happen, but my OS is configured to the danish 105-key layout. I don't care about the prints on the keys since I can just buy the keycaps that I need.

Newegg does not ship internationally :(
I've also looked at Leopold keyboards elitekeyboards. The price will be $99 + $55. With all taxes I will end up paying $218. It's also 104-key. So even if I find a 105-key keyboard in the US it's too expensive in the end.

Finally I tried to look up these Cherry keyboards. I'm actually able to buy Cherry keyboards in Denmark. Too bad no one of them are mechanical :(

Offline trax

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 06:10:08 »
Quote from: samsara;459153
Hello,

I forgot to say that I can't use a US keyboard. I need a 105 key keyboard, well at least i think I do. I don't know what will happen, but my OS is configured to the danish 105-key layout. I don't care about the prints on the keys since I can just buy the keycaps that I need.

Newegg does not ship internationally :(
I've also looked at Leopold keyboards elitekeyboards. The price will be $99 + $55. With all taxes I will end up paying $218. It's also 104-key. So even if I find a 105-key keyboard in the US it's too expensive in the end.

Finally I tried to look up these Cherry keyboards. I'm actually able to buy Cherry keyboards in Denmark. Too bad no one of them are mechanical :(

Check out the keyboardco; they got fast shipping (from within europe) and they have a 105 (Swedish/Finnish) Filco and Topre.
However, you can change your OS settings...
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline samsara

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 07:09:15 »
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Filco Majestouch-2 in my list is actually the price from keyboardco. Price is £136,14 ($212). It seems like a lot, but if it's worth it, I might give it a try. Question is, if the Blackwidow is better for the price. How's the build quality compared to the other brands?

Does the black switches (6gv2) really suck for typing?
It's too bad that I can't find any physical shops that sell mechanical keyboards, so I can't try them out and compare for myself.

I will use my keyboard for 90% typing and about 10% gaming.

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 07:37:51 »
Hi there! If you like the idea of linear switches but worry that Blacks are too heavy for typing you may wanna look into Cherry Red. I switched from Blues to Reds for typing and I am loving it. It is my personal preference though. What I like about Reds is that my fingers can very easily flow from one key stroke to another because of the light linear press.

I read somewhere that there will be a Steelseries board with Reds as a limited edition in Sweden, you may be able to buy it from there  (:

Edit: Even though that I dont have a keyboard with Black switches, I would assume that the people dont like them for typing because the keys need quite a bit of force to actuate (65g) . As i mentioned, I ended up loving linar switches but I use MX Reds which are a lot lighter (45g)  to actuate.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 November 2011, 07:43:48 by Lolcakes »

Offline trax

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 08:08:30 »
Quote from: samsara;459158
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Filco Majestouch-2 in my list is actually the price from keyboardco. Price is £136,14 ($212). It seems like a lot, but if it's worth it, I might give it a try. Question is, if the Blackwidow is better for the price. How's the build quality compared to the other brands?

Does the black switches (6gv2) really suck for typing?
It's too bad that I can't find any physical shops that sell mechanical keyboards, so I can't try them out and compare for myself.

I will use my keyboard for 90% typing and about 10% gaming.

I would take reds or blues if I where you.
Blues give are tactile and clicky, but as light as reds.
Many people says that blues (same as blackwidow, but srsly don't get a razer) let you type faster because of the physical and audible feedback, I chose for reds though.

I wouldn't take blacks if you'd type on them allot, they fatigue your finger quite fast and people tend to dislike them after a few months.

Here are some sound simulators: http://www.mrinterface.com/simulators
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 November 2011, 08:10:34 by trax »
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 08:37:04 »
Quote from: trax;459169

Blues give are tactile and clicky, but as light as reds.

From my experience with Blues and Reds, the Blues do feel stiffer than the reds even though they used the same spring. My Filco with Blues was actuating with ~64g where my Leopold with Reds actuates with 45g weight (=

Offline samsara

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 12:59:36 »
So it's gonna be a red, blue or brown. Somewhere else I saw that some of the Filco boards has this pingy noise, so I would like to avoid this brand. Now I think it's gonna be a Das or maybe a Zowie.

Offline DalaiLameR

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 13:14:47 »
For typing, I would go for either brown or blue, depending on wether you like the sound of blues or not.
The tactile bump is really nice to have. But in the end it all comes down to preference :)

I could sell you my old DAS with blues if you want a cheap start into your new soon-to-be addiction
PMed you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Model M SSK ReAlforce 88UB 45g Filco MX Blue Filco MX Red

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 15:58:51 »
Quote from: samsara;459242
So it's gonna be a red, blue or brown. Somewhere else I saw that some of the Filco boards has this pingy noise, so I would like to avoid this brand. Now I think it's gonna be a Das or maybe a Zowie.

All mechanical keyboards have metal springs inside them so the ping problem is not only on filcos. However it is not really a problem. Usually you cant really hear the ping unless I specifically listen for it.

From the keyboards you have listed the one I like most is the Filco with Browns. The disadvantage is the price though

Offline samsara

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 16:38:59 »
Okay, :s
By reading at this forum, I do understand that all keyboards using Cherry MX has this 'problem'. It's just more loud in some models. I've decided not to buy the Filco, even though they looks so nice. In my opinion they are the best looking mechanical keyboards in my list. They're just too expensive.

I've just realized that the only shop that sells Das Keyboard in the EU won't have them on stock until February, so now I'm stuck with the Razer. I just fear that it will break, just like my Razer mice did.

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 18:35:19 »
This is a link to a Swedish online shop that has the 6gv2 with MX Reds.

http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/144421-steelseries_6g_v2-limited_red_edition

I personally dont like the piano glossy look of the Blackwidow board and the overall "gimmicky" look of it. However it seems like a pretty cheap option.
By the way when it comes to the MX Blues switches, make sure you are 100% okay with the noise.

My Filco with MX Blues used to drive everybody around me insane due to the pronounced high pitch noise. I did love the feel of the board though. I just took a leap and went for Reds, it turned out I like the linear feel even more and I dont have the problem of people complaining about the noise.

Offline trax

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 18:37:24 »
Quote from: samsara;459312
Okay, :s
By reading at this forum, I do understand that all keyboards using Cherry MX has this 'problem'. It's just more loud in some models. I've decided not to buy the Filco, even though they looks so nice. In my opinion they are the best looking mechanical keyboards in my list. They're just too expensive.

I've just realized that the only shop that sells Das Keyboard in the EU won't have them on stock until February, so now I'm stuck with the Razer. I just fear that it will break, just like my Razer mice did.
Check Amazon.co.uk - they have boards in stock :)
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline samsara

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 November 2011, 21:22:29 »
The Das Keyboard has to be the non-ultimate. Or maybe I should buy one, and a full set of keycaps.

The 6gv2 Limited Red edition also looks like a nice option... Red, blue, brown... argh... why so many options :(

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 06:15:25 »
If you just care about that the keyboard should be ISO standard and don't mind if the signs on the keys is wrong you can get Cherry G80-3000 boards from Germany pretty cheap.

I bought my Cherry Clear from here:
http://www.jacob-computer.de/Eingabeger%E4te_Tastaturen_Cherry_Classic_Line_G80-3000_-_Tastatur_-_PS-2%2C_USB_-_105_Tasten_-_Schwarz_-_Deutsch_%28G80-3000LQCDE-2%29_artnr_270414.html

They also have Blues:
http://www.jacob-computer.de/Eingabeger%E4te_Tastaturen_Cherry_Classic_Line_G80-3000_-_Tastatur_-_PS_2%2C_USB_-_105_Tasten_-_Schwarz_-_Deutsch_%28G80-3000LSCDE-2%29_artnr_270549.html

And Blacks
http://www.jacob-computer.de/Eingabeger%E4te_Tastaturen_Cherry_Classic_Line_G80-3000_-_Tastatur_-_PS_2%2C_USB_-_105_Tasten_-_Schwarz_-_Deutsch_%28G80-3000LPCDE-2%29_artnr_270536.html

If you buy a Clear board and put in some blue/brown/red springs you'll get an "Ergo" Clear board... I heard that they are quite nice. They say that it should be like a more tactile version of Browns. I'm going to test that myself... just waiting for an old Cherry Blue board to get shipped to me so I can steal the springs from it. :)
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline Levitha

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 07:02:51 »
Samsara, i'm from Denmark aswell.

You can order DAS keyboard from Getdigital.de which is a good shop, with very friendly support staff.
I had a DAS keyboard with blues, but i disliked the glossy finish and the blue switches after 20 days, so i returned it, and ordered a Filco Majestouch from Getdigital. The Filco from Getdigital is with German layout and brown switches, but i purchased a whole new Key cap set for it. In Blank though (becuase blank is cool ;-) )

I made an order at the Group buy ROUND 4 Double shot keys, where you also can order danish layout key caps. But you have to be fast, the thread and orders close tomorrow 30/11/2011. It's expensive though. Around 89 USD for a whole set of 105 keys.

You can write to 7bit in here, he is fast to answer questions about orders :)

Offline samsara

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:44:24 »
Hello, and thanks for the replies.

I'm a student, and don't really have any money. Therefore it's important that I make the right choice the first time.

I've already checked out the Das Keyboards at getdigital. I just need my keyboard asap, and can't wait till they're in stock.

The Cherry keyboards seems like a nice deal too.

Now after reading a lot of posts about the Filco brown, I've developed some kind of pingophobia (fear of pings). I don't think I will be able to buy a Filco board, even though they are acceptable. I simply can't afford to RMA it.

I was thinking about the Zowie Celeritas. It's much cheaper than the Filco brown. Then again, there's the blackwidow; it might be of low quality, but it's also cheap, so won't I get what i pay for? The most important thing is, that I get the max value / $ spend.

Offline maoiste

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:57:11 »
Maybe you want to check out the Qpad mk-50.
I dont have any experience with this keyboard, but it is available in nordic layout and red/black/blue/brown switches and is one of the cheaper machanic keyboards (99 euro shipping included).

Offline Levitha

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:20:51 »
Well, it's hard to say if you have done the right purchase, if you don't know what the different switches feels like.

I simply think the blue switches requires too much force for my preference, though i love the clicky sound :)
The brown switches is very light to press down, but are easy to buttom down, which some ppl dont like.
The black switches requies some force aswell, but with no tactile feel/feedback.
I haven't tried the red ones.

For my use, which is typing and gaming i like brown switches the most of those.
And the mainly reason i returned the DAS was because i got tired of the Glossy finish, though i felt my fingers got fatigued typing on blue switches, even though blues are the most recommended for typing, o.O

Therefore it all comes down to preference of what type of switch you like the most.

In Denmark, i think you get most 'Bang for the buck' when buying a Steelseries. But only if you like black switches.
I haven't tried the Zowie, but if you like brown switches i would probebly go with this keyboard if you're tight on budget.

Even better, try find a used keyboard at lower prices. Mechanical keyboards last long, and usually used mechanical keyboards can offer a great deal.

I know you mentioned that you're afraid of Filcos because of 'ping'. But take a look at this guy, who is selling a Filco with blues. I once bought a Mechanical Noppoo Choc mini of him.

http://hardwareonline.dk/traad.aspx?tid=630067&fid=11

Offline samsara

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:41:04 »
I just found that the Qpad mk-50 is available in Denmark. It's red switches, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea for typing. Total price incl. handling and shipping is 706DKK / $128 /€95. It's okay if the quality is better than Razer.

Offline Levitha

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:58:44 »
You can find the keyboard with Nordic Layout with Blue, Brown, Red and Black switches.

Since i can't post links do the following:

Google Qpad mk-50  and click the 2nd link.

It's a bit more expensive in shipping, but only 5 € more.

EDIT: The Brown, Black and Blues are availible during December. (If you can wait) ;)

Offline samsara

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 12:15:00 »
Thanks you for the info.
Now I will go read some reviews, if I can find any. Might be a problem considered the keyboard hasn't been released.
The reason I can't wait for too long, is that my current keyboard has keys that only works sometimes. It is extremely frustrating to do homework on.

Offline Tony

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 20:26:04 »
I have keyboards with blue/brown/red switches and I think with much typing you should use blue or brown switches.

Blue is noisy and more fun to type on, but brown is jack of all trades.

Red is better at gaming, for typing it's just so so.

I think Razer BlackWidow Expert (non-ultimate) (blue) and Qpad (blue or brown) is your best options.

Qpad brown is what I would recommend, since brown is always a safe bet for a first mech keyboard.

I am typing this post with a Filco brown.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 20:28:52 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline samsara

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 09:56:07 »
Thanks for the help everyone. I've not decided yet, but I think there's a possibility that I might pick the Qpad or the Razer.

Offline samsara

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 15:15:51 »
I ended up buying the Qpad Mk-80 (MX Brown) for the price of €170 ($226).
It's expensive, but compared to the Filco keyboards, I'm getting so much more for the same amount of money.