Author Topic: model M 71G4644 rubber dome  (Read 4448 times)

Offline h2gofast

model M 71G4644 rubber dome
« on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 07:48:24 »
I have a box of really assorted old ibm keyboards, mostly terminal connectors and a couple of really oddball model numbers.  I sold one and was getting ready to sell another when I plugged it in to test it out.  Everything works fine, but it felt funny.  The label says model m, but when I popped one of the keys off, no spring.  After some research, ibm made a few of these rubber domed model m's.  
for reference check out 71G4644 at:
http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m-buyers-guide/

My question is.  Are these an interesting find or just a shameful anomaly that no one likes to talk about?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 08:10:24 »
They made quite a few of the shameful things, and Unicomp still make them too. Not sure when they started, someone said they thought they all had blue IBM labels, so maybe they were introduced when Lexmark took over the manufacture?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 15:49:06 »
Quote from: ripster;459651
In the IBM wiki.

I read that. I couldn't find a definitive answer as to when rubber dome Ms started appearing. Certainly Lexmark made them, but there's also a reference to international layout rubber domes coming out of Greenock and Mexico, which doesn't mention any dates.

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 21:15:54 »
Well, there was another one in the box so now there are two of these red-headed step children in existence.  I can see why someone might like them.  They are more quiet, but the key feel is like running on an indoor track, more cush, less crisp.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 22:14:56 »
Quote from: h2gofast;459834
Well, there was another one in the box so now there are two of these red-headed step children in existence.  I can see why someone might like them.  They are more quiet, but the key feel is like running on an indoor track, more cush, less crisp.
IBM's buckling rubber sleeve ones are nice, too from what I hear.