Author Topic: A bit about starting with keyboards  (Read 1277 times)

Offline rantantan

A bit about starting with keyboards
« on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 10:51:15 »
Hi, I just joined upon seeing that there is such a nice forum on keyboards. Thats awesome! Please forgive if this is the wrong section, but I havent found a more appropriate one than this.
I am in the market for a keyboard in the 60 Euro range (Germany). Meanwhile I like the way Razer Widow and Das Ultimate Keyboard looks, I think I will settle with something less expensive like a Cherry G80 with Blue or Clear Switches. Since I have no experience with mechanical keyboards and wrote on pretty cheap rubber domes the last years. Its not that I like rubber domes, I just never got the idea to invest in a keyboard. It was just about 1 year ago where I started to play RTS Games competitively that I realized how much my keyboard was getting in my way. I would love to have something with a tactile feel and I really like the sound feedback. However Im not that sure if the Blue ones, which have a click to them, will work too well in RTS gaming? Does anyone tried both, linear and click type of switches, and could expand on it a little? That would be great! As linear ones Im thinking of Steelseries 6g, with black ones. Still undecided.

Greetz.
r

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 15:26:05 »
All of them work fine for gaming. It's just a preference in feeling. I prefer red linear, but also have brown, blue, black, and clear switch and have used them all for gaming. I listed them in order of my preference. I like the linear more as it is smooth and quicker feeling to me. Brown and blue are sort of a toss up, but brown is more similar to red in light feeling. For long gaming sessions black and clear are my least favorite as I find them too heavy. The Cherry g80 are a good introductory board and was also my first.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 November 2011, 15:29:54 by lysol »

Offline trax

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 November 2011, 15:29:06 »
I'd take a tactile switch for RTS gaming, browns/clears or maybe a Model M?
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline Tony

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 03:03:29 »
Blue bumps are too strong while FPS gaming and you may prefer brown which have lighter bumps or blacks/reds which have no bumps at all.

I have blue/brown/red switches and I think red is the best for FPS, then brown. Blues are better for typing.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm