Author Topic: Leopold FC500R or Ducky Shine (browns)  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Twitch

Leopold FC500R or Ducky Shine (browns)
« on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 03:37:47 »
Hey guys, I asked a similar question not long ago but I decided to hold off buying to take a look at other keyboards. Now I'm ready to buy and I'm torn between these two choices.

This will be my first mechanical keyboard and I intend on using it for a very long time, so build quality has to be decent. I really like the LEDs on the Ducky Shine so I'm leaning more towards it, but I was wondering what your thoughts on these two keyboard are?

Offline pitashen

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 03:49:56 »
It all started with one thinking "I am going to buy one and use it for a LONG time," and eventually end up keyboard hoarding.

Both choices would be fine. Ducky 9k series has pretty good build quality. However, you'll probably find Leopold's design and build to be more refined.

I am personally not a fan of backlit keyboard because of this:

But ripster may come by and tell you it isn't that bad.

So, it is up to you. They are both fine choice.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Twitch

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 21:56:37 »
Hmm .. now I'm kind of hesitant to get the Ducky Shine after seeing that picture. Does it really get that bad?

Offline Nighted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 22:02:09 »
Personally I'd go for a Leopold. I doubt I'd ever buy a Ducky.
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pitashen

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 01:02:54 »
Quote from: Twitch;460410
Hmm .. now I'm kind of hesitant to get the Ducky Shine after seeing that picture. Does it really get that bad?

That picture isn't from ducky shine. It's one of Razer's earlier backlit keyboard, not the blackwidow.

Only time will tell if the keys will end up that bad, but then you can always replace the caps when they do get ugly.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Twitch

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 07:08:00 »
Decided to go with the Leopold FC500R Brown.

Offline Twitch

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 09:34:50 »
Was delivered yesterday, I have to say I quite like it!  But you're right pitashen, now I want to try other switches but I don't think I'd want to dump $300-$400 into keyboards :p

Offline cajd83

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 06:25:58 »
when you say you now want to try other switches, does that mean you are not happy with the browns? I am about to buy my first mech kb and have decided on the Ducky shine with brown switches, just wanting to know if you had any doubts with your choice.

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:42:29 »
MX Brown switches are a very good, if not ideal place to start you mechanical keyboard collection.
Its where I did, and I'm sure many others did also.

I have absolutely no doubts about my choice, I love my Filco with Browns.
The problem is, now I'm interested in finding out whats out there, and what all the other switches feel like.
My wishlist of keyboards I'd buy if I had infinite money is starting to get ridiculous.

As soon as my pay comes through I'll be buying a Ducky Shine myself with MX Blue switches, because I took my Filco into my new office, and desperately need to replace the godawful, muddy old rubber dome board I have as a temporary replacement at home. This will be my second board (third counting my brother's Filco with MX Reds, which I use quite a lot) and I don't see myself stopping any time soon.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 17:42:08 »
Quote from: ripster;468809
If you get a Ducky Shining (not Shine but I suspect this will be the next TKL)  post a review.   Geekhack has a rather poor second hand one right now.

Will do.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline CampinSam

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 19:45:05 »
Quote from: cajd83;468221
when you say you now want to try other switches, does that mean you are not happy with the browns? I am about to buy my first mech kb and have decided on the Ducky shine with brown switches, just wanting to know if you had any doubts with your choice.

Honestly, it's just magic.

You know that saying? ****ing keyboards, how do they work? well ok, this is how it works.

You buy an expensive keyboard (which are awesome, mech keyboards are the ****)
And then, you buy another one, for the hell of it. You know, you have your first switch, and you think it is the absolute best thing in the world
But then, you see other switches, and you start doubting yourself. What if the other ones are better!? What now..

But then, you just buy another one.. to 'try it' ofcourse. And maybe you like it.. hell, you probably love it. And think that other switch was god awful.
So then, it's magic! Why? because you have to try ALL of them. it just happens, you can't get around it. You get mesmerized by a switch, and then... you get mesmerized by a switch you don't have.

Seriously.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 20:15:47 »
That backlighting picture is from a Razer Lycosa. Don't let them backlight haters fool you. Modern caps won't have that problem. I've put some decent use on my Blackwidow, and the caps are fine. Still look like they did the day I bought it. I highly doubt the shine will have any sort of problem. The issue with the Lycosa was the rubberized keys.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.