Author Topic: All-Glass Multitouch Keyboards and Mice  (Read 2023 times)

Offline shrap

All-Glass Multitouch Keyboards and Mice
« on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 13:06:16 »
You've got touchscreens in my keyboard.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116966310/multi-touch-keyboard-and-mouse

I wonder if it's got Swype.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 13:28:01 »
I think this is a nice idea that I do believe has been done before by a different group. But why would you want swype on a full size keyboard? Wouldn't that be more tiring that actually typing. Example try Swyping "Keyboard" over your current keys.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 13:34:14 »
I hate touchscreens for typing... why would I want it for my computer.  Madness. No tactility and sometimes you hit other keys and it... rawwwwwwwwwwwwwr smash tablet!

Offline trax

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 13:37:38 »
I'd buy this if I had some important job, have a sexy woman typing for me. Cause it honestly looks bad to type on.
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline shrap

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 14:00:48 »
I've never actually used Swype, but it should be something that this keyboard can do. The Kickstarter page is very sparse on details on how this keyboard would use multi-touch technology, probably because they haven't really thought about how it's going to work. This seems more like a art project than a real product. Pinch-to-zoom on a mouse has already been implemented by Apple and Microsoft, it's hardly revolutionary.

What it should do is have a toggle that switches the keyboard into a gigantic touchpad, do you can type and mouse on the exact same surface. Why use an external mouse when you have the world's largest touchpad underneath your fingertips? Or use software to make both sides of the keyboard into a one-handed keyboard like the Frogpad.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 14:14:19 »
The ultimate anti-mechanical and anti-tactile keyboard.  At that point you might as well just get a piece of glass and use one of these (which I've tried BTW and it SUCKS to type with):

[video=youtube;bSNOAUExTsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSNOAUExTsw[/video]
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline flyball

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 14:16:53 »
Quote from: bloodygood;460107
I think this is a nice idea that I do believe has been done before by a different group. But why would you want swype on a full size keyboard? Wouldn't that be more tiring that actually typing. Example try Swyping "Keyboard" over your current keys.

thats not how it works
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Gerk

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 14:20:37 »
Quote from: ripster;460148
This one looks more real.  Plus its raised more money.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740785012/touchfire-the-screen-top-keyboard-for-ipad?ref=live

I don't understand why people would want this to be honest.  If you want a keyboard with an iPad then just pair any bluetooth keyboard, if not just use the screen.  Having to put that thing on and off every time you wanted to use the keyboard would drive me insane.

Lately I've been enjoying my latest split keyboard ... the built-in one on the iPad in split mode ;)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33172[/ATTACH]
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 15:10:47 »
The Fingerworks Touchstream is way WAY better than this glass keyboard & mouse. It supports mousing on the keyboard surface itself, AND you can rest all your fingers at the same time on the keybard.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33178[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 15:25:16 »
Quote from: sordna;460195
The Fingerworks Touchstream is way WAY better than this glass keyboard & mouse. It supports mousing on the keyboard surface itself, AND you can rest all your fingers at the same time on the keybard.
This is obviously aimed at simplicity and looks.

Of course it makes a great conversational piece you can complain how how terrible it is to type on and everything ;p
Keyboardless

Offline pitashen

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 15:31:52 »
Nothing more than a show piece.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

woody

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 02:57:22 »
Quote from: tsangan;460201
This is obviously aimed at simplicity and looks.

Of course it makes a great conversational piece you can complain how how terrible it is to type on and everything ;p
And you might eventually get laid.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:24:48 »
The topic of this blog post is pretty much THE counter argument to this issue:

http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTheFutureOfInteractionDesign/

Long story short: You have hands, your hands feel, why would you push technology that requires your hands and doesn't take advantage of what they are good at?
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."