Author Topic: Tough Choice  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:21:04 »
I'm looking to get my first mechanical keyboard.  It's a very difficult choice cause I don't have anything to try out beforehand so I'm just going by hearsay from what I've read here and in other forums.  I initially wasn't sure which switch I want but I figure I'd go the safe route and go with browns.  I have to type a pretty good amount (programmer in training) and I like to game on fps and starcraft 2.

The choice of board has been quite difficult.  I'm probably going to get one of 3 boards.  Either ducky shine, das keyboard, or filco majestouch tenkeyless.  This probably just comes down to personal preference but which should have the better build quality, the filco?

Das is kinda the middle board cause it is a full board and no backlighting while the other two have one of each of those.  I don't think I'd really need the keypad because I don't use it real often (hoping I don't actually miss it if I go tenkeyless).  The backlighting sounds nice but not entirely sure if I need it but I definitely like the look of the board.  

The Das is the cheapest and it appears I'd get the other two at about the same price.  Das about $110 on newegg, and the other two would run me about $150.
Any advice besides be less picky? hehe

Thanks for your time.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Tough Choice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:39:33 »
Newegg also has the Rosewill RK-9000BR which you might consider. It's ~$110 right now. Another option would be the Leopold FC200RT/AB, available from Elitekeyboards for $109.

According to a few people around here, the Rosewill is very similar to the Filco. Costar stabilizers, etc. The Leopold has Cherry-style stabilizers on the large keys, which some people don't like as much, but they've been working rather smoothly for me. I wouldn't be able to directly compare to any of the boards on your original list, unfortunately, as both of my boards are Leopolds.

I think that whichever route you take, you'll be happy as long as the switches work out for you. If not, there's always the classifieds here.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Tough Choice
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:49:33 »
I've never used a Ducky but I've owned both a Filco and a Leopold.  Most (though not all) people prefer the feel of the Filco's Costar stabalizers.  The Leopold also has a non-standard space bar which can be difficult to replace.

That said, the Leo has advantages like lasered keycaps and a detachible cable, and it is a bit cheaper.  So if you're not picky about stabalizer feel (and since this is your first mechanical you probably won't be) and you will be sticking with the stock keycaps, the Leo is probably a good buy.

If you don't mind a full-size board, Rosewill is an excellent choice that is more or less indistinguishable from Filco (and even has a detachable cable), with a price point comparable to the Leopold.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:59:33 by hashbaz »

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:50:10 »
Hehe people around here wouldn't even know what a mechanical keyboard was.  They'd probably think it was some kind of typing robot.

Offline tukkez

Tough Choice
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 13:22:37 »
What about a WASD keyboard? I heard they're pretty good.

Offline Tony

Tough Choice
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 17:36:09 »
I own a Filco full brown as well as Filco tkl brown and I recommend the Filco. It has better build, very sturdy and has nice typing feel. You will soon forget 40$ extra, but you will not forget the typing feel it brings.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 01:04:43 »
Yea I realize most of the options I included were personal options such as the backlighting and tenkeyless options.  I'm not totally set on having or not having either option.  I occasionally use the numpad but probably not enough to warrant having it.  Mostly just for typing in numeric codes and what not.  As far as backlighting goes, I've never owned one to actually see how much I'd like it.  I do often play/type at night in the dark and it could be useful although I do touch type so it's probably not entirely necessary to have it.  

How is the build quality of the WASD keyboards compared to the Filco?  I wouldn't mind being able to customize my board, could be fun.  Although I know I could just get some keycaps for a Filco or other brand down the road.

Edit. And thanks for the replies.  This is a fairly pricey investment and I'm trying to weigh all my options before diving in.  It probably isn't a bad idea for me to get one I can easily return.  Oh and chances are if I really like the keyboard I very well may get a blue switch board later on down the road for dedicated typing.

Offline slueth

Tough Choice
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 01:06:58 »
WASD keyboard is good quality and wasd even lubes your stabilizers so you won't get squeaky keys.

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 01:32:12 »
They supply the lube....how thoughtful XD

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 08:24:14 »
Well I'm probably down to either filco tkl or wasd custom.

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 10:07:51 »
Silly me decided to go to the audio forum and started listening to clips...Why do I have to just love the sound of blues? lol

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 13:00:04 »
Can't really respond to that.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:22:40 »
Ok I think I have a plan >.>

I think I actually want both a brown and a blue.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it makes more sense to get a brown first because it is considered the hybrid and will probably be better for both gaming/typing than just a blue.  

If my thinking is rational, I will probably go ahead and get a filco brown tenkeyless.

And do I seem like a potential keyboard addict or what?  Already planning my second board before buying my first. :P

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Tough Choice
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:26:08 »
editting posts is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2010. who does that anymore?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Tough Choice
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:29:29 »
OP sure as hell doesn't.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline N8N

Tough Choice
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:34:16 »
re: Filco vs. WASD - it kind of comes down to personal preference.  I prefer the styling of the Filco; I prefer the keycaps of the WASD.  They're effectively the same board (not saying that they are the same under the hood, but they are both plate mounted Cherry MX based boards with the same set of features and the same stabilizers) so it's really a toss up.

I wish both were available with MX Clear switches, and I wish that both used a heavier weighted switch for the space bar, but neither one does, so it's still a toss up.

this post brought to you by a hacked up Filco with MX Clears, a grey space bar switch, and Cherry doubleshot keycaps.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:43:34 »
Sorry for the multiple posts.  In my defense, most of them were more than an hour apart.  
Thanks for being on topic N8N.  Good to hear they're at least similar in design.  I'm probably going to go with my plan and get a filco or I may just get a leopold to save some money.

Edit. :P
Just placed my order for a Filco.  Thanks to those who gave me helpful feedback.

Offline cancelx

Tough Choice
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 16:16:25 »
Quote from: Recoome;461433
And do I seem like a potential keyboard addict or what?  Already planning my second board before buying my first. :P

From my experience I must say that it's normal - got my 1st (really 2nd, but few years before I was dumb, blabla) keyboard from WASD, and now there are 3 boards slowly coming to me, and another 3-4 in my mind. FML or maybe FMWallet!
Model M SSK - WASD V1 - CM Storm QFR - Ducky Year of the Rabbit - Realforce 87U - WASD V2 - K-Type

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Tough Choice
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 23:52:59 »
I'd probably go with WASD if it was them vs filco just for vote with the wallet factor of the smaller company.

But then I generally use vintage boards, so what do I know.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 01:26:29 »
Well that's ok, my blue board may end up being a wasd but it will be down the road before I consider it.  Hopefully I'll just be fine with the brown but time will tell.

Well I got my Filco TKL with browns in today.  First mechanical keyboard is quite a new experience.  It's amazing how it literally feels nothing like a rubber dome keyboard.  It's like night and day.  I'm not exactly blazing a trail with it yet (and I knew that going it wasn't meant to do that) but it is definitely satisfying to type on.  

I like the feel of the keys and the bump is noticeable.  I like the feel of the keys and am eager to know how different PBT caps feel in comparison, although I can probably stick with these for a while.  I don't really hear the ping in my backspace but my spacebar has quite a lot of ping to it.  It is probably a little noisier than I anticipated although I knew it wouldn't be entirely quiet.  I may invest in the o-rings if I can find them in a hardware store like someone suggested.  Maybe at like lowes or home depot?  

I like how tough it feels and how it has weight to it.  It definitely doesn't go anywhere when I type on it.  Overall I'm quite satisfied.  

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I hope down the road I will get a chance to try other switch types.  With nothing else to compare it to, it's hard to say if it will be the end all keyboard for me.

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 02:46:44 »
Sorry for the bump but I wanted people to be able to see my opinion on my first mech board.  Mini-review written above.

Offline Tony

Tough Choice
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 08:04:33 »
Congratulations. For typing I think blue is the best switch. You should try brown too, for variety.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

Tough Choice
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 10:46:20 »
ON the tenkeyless thing ( why don't they called keyboards with numeric pads tenkeyed? ), I would say this? Do you find yourself ever cursing the keypad being there? If not then all other things being equal take the tenkeyed board. If you decide to go tenkeyless you can always buy a seperate numeric keypad, I know adesso makes a mechanical one and I think ithers do too.

Offline Recoome

Tough Choice
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 00:13:55 »
Quote from: Tony;463308
Congratulations. For typing I think blue is the best switch. You should try brown too, for variety.

yea I went for this one for the middle ground.  I type and game with it and read how it was kinda the hybrid and overall am satisfied.  I still might want to get a blue down the road though.

Offline Saviant

Tough Choice
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 00:44:52 »
Congratulations on the filco TKL with browns, I went from a g15 to the Filco Majestouch 2 with browns and it is diffently a lot better to be on mechanical, just waiting for a Filco with red switches so I can give a go of them

Offline fireball87

Tough Choice
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 01:56:57 »
Quote from: ripster;461490
Congrats!

Nobody ever got fired for getting a Filco.

No, but I was once fired for buying an IBM.  Apparently you're supposed to ask before you loot the corporate pension.