Author Topic: ZOWIE Celeritas, two different switches (?)  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Mo0rbid

ZOWIE Celeritas, two different switches (?)
« on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:14:58 »
I got a zowie celeritas keyboard today, it has brown cherry switches. Everything's fine except that the spacebar has no tactile bump on the way down, it just goes straight down, and it's harder to push down than all other keys.

I decided to investigate so I removed the keycap to see if it wasn't seated properly

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33434[/ATTACH]

Look at that! The spacebar has a different switch than all the other keys. Couldn't they just have put a brown switch there? Is it common to use a different switch for the spacebar key? if so, why?

Offline SBI

ZOWIE Celeritas, two different switches (?)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:29:02 »
Spacebars are usually equiped with a harder spring than all the other switches (eg. a green spacebar switch on a blue keyboard). However, black isn't usally the choice for a brown keyboard. Looks like Zowies special way of doing things.

€: Reason to do that in the first place is because your thumbs are generally stronger than the rest of your fingers. Makes sense on light switches like red brown and blue. I loathe it on Clears though. Makes me miss about every second stroke and I always exchange the spring.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:40:38 by SBI »