Author Topic: Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues  (Read 15409 times)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:16:10 »
First time buyer. Will have a more thorough question later but for now I have a simple question. How do unicomp keyboards compare with low end Cherry Blue keyboards.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:38:51 »
might want to be more specific with your question.

are we comparing switches or over all build quality?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Tony

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:49:16 »
I have IBM model M and Noppoo blue. Both are noisy, but the blue is softer than IBM model M.

Their sounds are different too. I tend to use the blue more because of the sound.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline pitashen

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 21:51:00 »
two completely different beasts
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 23:13:54 »
Quote from: demik;461068
might want to be more specific with your question.

are we comparing switches or over all build quality?

Both. First I would like to know what the difference in feel between the switches is, Second, I would like to know how these stand up to use over a long period of time.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 23:56:34 »
Expect the Unicomp to last a very long time.  It's a Model M after all.  Which low-end blue switch keyboards are we talking about?

The switches are very different in feel and mechanism.  Both are loud, with an audible click apart from the sound of bottoming out.  The Unicomp's buckling spring switches are harder to press and have a high actuation point.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 01:59:25 »
But if you ask me buckling springs feel more solid than cherries which may feel cheap and wobbly.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Tony

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 03:02:29 »
True, an IBM model M or Unicomp are sturdier and heavier than a Cherry blues, but for normal use both are very durable.

For durability, both can be used for at least 20 years or even more.

Unless you spill some coffee, juice or beer on it. That kills keyboard circuits really fast.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline SBI

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 06:19:36 »
My first G80 is ancient (from 1993 or something, it's in the attic so I'm too lazy to check), and still works like a charm. The even older Model M, of course, still works as well, and I still use that a lot. So yeah, we are talking about very sturdy keyboards that will last a very long time if you treat them accordingly. What you'll like better in the end is completely subjective, I like both MX-Blues and Buckling Spring, but I use the Blues more. Can't really tell why, they're just better in day-to-day use for me. And my girlfriend would probably beat me to death with the Model M if I clicked away on it all day :D

Offline Warduke

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 13:41:20 »
I was going to post earlier but the power went out for a second and my computer rebooted so I lost my post :mad2:

So let's try this again...

When I first got into mechanical keyboards, I had it down to two choices, Buckling Springs and Cherry Blues, I love that clicky sound. So that meant Unicomp and Das (it was the only one available in Canada at the time.) But since the Das was out of stock at the time, my decision was made easy. After unboxing my Customizer and pressing a key for the first time, I fell in love with it. It's so amazing compared to a rubber dome. Typing on rubber dome keyboards now is just so disappointing.

My Cherry Blue (Rosewill RK-9000) is certainly not low end. It's basically a Filco in all but name. But it's much cheaper. Again the first time I pressed a key it was amazing. The feel and sound are great. You really can't go wrong with either.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

fossala

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:06:59 »
If I want to use a clicky keyboard it is buckling springs all the way.
Unicomp are good but you might aswell get a good model m.

Offline fireball87

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 03:03:31 »
It's all a matter of opinion.  As someone who has used both (these are the only two mechs I've used sadly, the Model M is my brothers) I can say they're both excellent keyboards, I personally prefer the cherry blues but that is because they are quite a bit lighter keys to press.  They both give good tactile response (the buckling spring is technically superior in that regard IMO, just by how they work), and they both sound fantastic, though a little bit different (the cherry blues are a tad higher pitched, and give a plastic clack, the buckling springs are a tad deeper, and have a bit of a resonating ting sound as the spring vibrates back into place).  

I recently acquired this MX Blue keyboard, to be honest as I had no real experience with the blues there was a bit of risk involved, risk which was somewhat alleviated due to researching the technologies, and the sounds, and what not.  That said, what made me pick a cherry blue keyboard as opposed to a Buckling Spring keyboard (which was honestly what I was originally looking for) was things outside of the switch itself.  Things like if I got a older Model M I'd lose the windows key (which is pretty important for me as OSX requires all 3), or the issue that if I picked up an older one I'd have to deal with an adapter, and if i picked up a newer one I'd not have all that great of rollover (I'm not quite positive if any M's have NKEY), stuff like that.  

I like both switches though, prefer the blues a tad, but that's complete preference.  The best bet is to actually see if you can't find the things to test.  If you like clicky keyboards you've more then likely already dealt with a Model M, and know what to expect from those.  May be worthwhile to find a cherry blue keyboard to feel a bit, if you have access to a good enough computer store (or friends that might have them), you might want to see if they have some of the razor black widows, those have the arrow keys exposed in the box so you can feel the keys click.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:01:12 »
Quote from: dante;461076
low end Cherry Blue keyboards?  Some might consider the Unicomp to be a low end Model-M

I would consider it a "new" model M. you con say "low end" but from what I've seen the build quality is really pretty much the same.

Offline Mr. Perfect

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:25:50 »
Quote from: fireball87;461829
Things like if I got a older Model M I'd lose the windows key (which is pretty important for me as OSX requires all 3), or the issue that if I picked up an older one I'd have to deal with an adapter, and if i picked up a newer one I'd not have all that great of rollover (I'm not quite positive if any M's have NKEY), stuff like that.  

Model M's don't have NKey, so you can get yourself a modern Unicomp USB board with Windows keys and not miss out on anything. Here's what the GH NKEY wiki has for the Model M.

IBM Model M: 2KRO. Fails ASX, WDE, WAQ, and many others.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline sordna

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:51:50 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;462141
Model M's don't have NKey, so you can get yourself a modern Unicomp USB board with Windows keys and not miss out on anything. Here's what the GH NKEY wiki has for the Model M.

That wiki says the Unicomp Customizer 104 is 2KRO. Is that a PS/2 or USB? What's the KRO for USB Unicomps ? I'm surprised the wiki doesn't mention PS2 vs USB versions for the Unicomp, it's ambiguous.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 14:58:35 »
Quote from: ripster;462174
Oh wait.  I'm not editing the Wiki.  The Unicomp is under "Confirmed 2KRO".  ANY 2KRO keyboard is not going to be NKRO whatever connection you use - USB or PS/2.

I don't care at all about NKRO (I only have 10 fingers) but it would be very useful to know if the newer USB Unicomps are 6KRO.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline fireball87

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 17:39:18 »
I didn't think any M's had high roll over, but wasn't certain, and I like to not say things I'm not certain of.  Sadly that rabbit trailed the topic more then I was hoping.

2KRO wasn't something that I wasn't going to accept on a high end keyboard, it's not really problematic for typing, but I like to use my keyboard for various things, from gaming to from time to time using it as a music keyboard.

Point was that there are other factors then switch type to consider.  Switch type is important, but it's quite possible that you could have other factors.  I can't really tell you which switch type you'll prefer, but I can say what factors made me choose to try the blues.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:26:42 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;462141

It's because they use a membrane. I'm still waiting for flexible PCB's to go down in price, so I can solder diodes onto it.

Offline anders22

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 20:20:40 »
Newb here.  Others have given better answers to the original question, and I've never used the Cherry Blues so I don't have a good answer.  But here are my two cents anyway:

- I have a Unicomp Spacesaver, bought in Aug 2010.  Love it because it's loud, solid, and the great feel means I make fewer typing mistakes.  I am not a gamer, I just type a lot of Unix commands and emails.
- Others may think the touch is too heavy, but I think that's an advantage in preventing mistakes.  I learned to type on a manual typewriter 30 years ago, and I still love the noise and feel of all my old typewriters more than any computer keyboard I've ever used.  I have to admit, however, that they suck if your goal is mistake-free typing...or gaming.
- Because of my old man background, I really hammer the keys when I type.  The Unicomp has held up really well to my abuse.

Offline theferenc

Unicomp vs. Cherry Blues
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 23:42:46 »
If you want buckling springs and NKRO, find yourself a terminal Model F 122 key, and spend the 5 minutes converting the layout to "normal" and converting it to USB using Soarer's adapter.

These have the advantage that they are lighter in feel, as well.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball