Author Topic: First mech keyboard  (Read 1930 times)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

First mech keyboard
« on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 01:45:31 »
Ok. Let me get the practical constraints over with. First disabled--very fixed income.  So whatever I get will be my keyboard for life, or at least the next five years -- with luck ten. I'm limited to either retail stores in Chicago accessible by public transportation, or online places that accept a check or money order. When Christmas shopping is over I will have approximately $100 for a keyboard. Actual purchase  will be the last week of this year or the first week of next year.  In the meantime, I have been checking every so often with microcenter, compusa and newegg.

I've narrowed the choice down to either a Unicomp or something with blue cherries, ( Hey I generally don't like to piss people off, but when people complain about noise from a keyboard, I feel it's my duty to piss them off. ), leaning strongly to blue cherries but still leaving Unicomp as an option. However I do think the old beige color is staid and the black with grey keys is just plain ugly. Still if there were other reasons I would not let that deter me.

My heart jumped recently when I saw newegg offer the "Das" for $110 on sale. I would be very tempted to go with that if it's on sale when I am ready to order. There are three problems I have with the "Das" though. As I understand it, Das does not have media keys. I listen to audiobooks a lot, so I really want media keys, or at least someway to get the equivalent functionality of media keys. I use Linux Mint and KDE.

The second problem is that I am a  touch typist who peeks a lor. So I would probably go all out and get an Das Ultimate to force myself to stop peeking. I do, however,  want to hedge my bets. So is there a plasmoid/Google gadget that I can use to show a keyboard layout on the screen similar to what typing programs show?

The final problem I have is the "asdf|teh" that I saw reported here. Though I think this has been solved already.

Before the possiblity of a Das came up the keyboard I was looking most fondly at was the Rosewill. Sadly that one looks sold out and probably will be for a while.

Let me tell you the things about me which most affect the keyboard of choice. First is that I am not a gamer. Second is that I type relatively fast in short bursts. A numeric keypad is preffered but not a must. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is something I absolutely positively don't want and 10 is must have, a numeric keypad is like a 7 or 8. I don't really want backlight keys, but won't cry if backlights are there. I use Linux Mint and KDE, but I also run XP in a VirtualBox. I mention this because some keyboards "require" Windows, though that might be for macro programming. My budget is limited to $100 ( though a few more won't break me they may stretch me to the limit ). Finally I would like at least a half a pinky space between the backspace and insert keys, though I suppose I could just pull the insert keycap.

Aside from Das and Rosewill, I see the following keyboards as possible.

• ADESSO MKB-135B
  • BlackWidow_MAC  -- Last I looked this one was a bit cheaper then the PC version, is there any reason this pne won't work witha Linux machine?
  • BlackWidow
  • Xarmor U9W
  • Leopold FC500RC/AB -- Not sure if I can get this one with a check or money order.
  • Unicomp
  • SIIG JK-US0112-S1   -- Just throwing this one out because someone may say something nice about it. Since the beginning I've written this one off.

These are the ones that I looked at that match my criterion. If anyone has anything to say, good or bad, about these keyboards to help me decide, or if anyone can recommend another keyboard which fits my criteria, or can recommend another retailer who may take check or money order, I would appreciate it if you replied,

PS Two quick comments.
1) I'm waiting till after Christmas because I want to know how much money I will have after Christmas shopping and then living through Christmas ;) .
2) Looking at the Cherry boards on newegg confuses me... they look like none of them actually uses MX switches.

Offline Recoome

First mech keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 04:49:32 »
The das ultimate with blues just dropped to $94 on newegg.  Pretty good steal for a blue keyboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823830001

Offline slueth

First mech keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 06:07:05 »
If you tried the unicomp or a buckling spring before I would go with that. If you don't need the numpad, a cm quickfire is good too. They will be coming to the us for less then 100.

First mech keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:07:49 »
Quote from: Recoome;461862
The das ultimate with blues just dropped to $94 on newegg.  Pretty good steal for a blue keyboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823830001

I know. I keep repeating to myself --"patience is a virtue".

Offline Recoome

First mech keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:23:38 »
Quote from: mouse.the.lucky.dog;462006
I know. I keep repeating to myself --"patience is a virtue".

I know how ya feel but I'm so bad at waiting XD

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
First mech keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:31:45 »
probably better things to spend your fixed income on than a mech keyboard.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
First mech keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:45:04 »
Newegg only carries two Cherry g80 models, both black switch with touchpad and g84 models with the low travel ML switch. Both more expensive than other better MX keyboards. Don't forget you can buy a prepaid credit card to use to order from anywhere. Yes it involves some hassle but you could save quite a bit of money buying a cheaper PLU or Ducky from Asia.
Obviously buying a used keyboard on ebay is the cheapest option. There are good deals to be had, and certainly makes more sense to buy an M for $10 than a Unicomp.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:48:15 by lysol »

Offline Over_Kill

First mech keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:53:13 »
As a matter of fact I was searching ebay this morning and I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanical-Platinum-Pro-CC-104-Keyboard-/330648066258?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4cfc2918d2#ht_808wt_1396

There are also several model M's for about 10 dollars. Search ebay for 'mechanical keyboard' then sort by ending soonest.

First mech keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:39:45 »
Quote from: Recoome;462016
I know how ya feel but I'm so bad at waiting XD

Especially since the Das is now up to $144.

Offline digitalleftovers

First mech keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:47:05 »
RK9000's have the 20 dollar rebate today on newegg.  Get one of those.  That makes them 79 before shipping.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

First mech keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 16:03:54 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;462153
RK9000's have the 20 dollar rebate today on newegg.  Get one of those.  That makes them 79 before shipping.

That's only the blacks.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
First mech keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 17:23:01 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:00:45 by davkol »

Offline N8N

First mech keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 19:23:34 »
Second the recommend to wait for a sale on the RK9000 w/ blues, or just pick up a used Model M.  Should be able to find one that only needs cleaning for $40 shipped or less.  They're really great boards, if you don't mind the racket and the high force.  1391401 is the most popular part number that's "real IBM" and uses the detachable cable, although the Lexmark ones aren't much of a downgrade, they're just less desirable for collectors.

Really, in my mind, the choice between Model M and blues comes down to how heavy a typist you are.  If you have a heavy touch, it is hard to beat a M.  In fact, I think I am going to go pull one off the shelf, it's been a while since I've used one.  As a bonus, they have some of the most durable keycaps I've ever used.  (and yes, if you really want to go otaku, you can get blanks for a M.)

Edit: aaah, Model M goodness :)  Seriously, light typist and/or don't like making a huge racket - RK9000.  Heavy touch and don't care about waking the neighbors but love that wonderful tactility - Model M.  This edit brought to you by a Lexmark-built 52G9658.  Say what you will about the Model M, nothing else feels quite like it.

Another thought - if you have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. or even an electronics recycling place around, you might be able to pick up a Model M for real cheap, if whoever's running the joint doesn't realize that it's desirable.  Another option would be a Dell AT-101 or variant, but Alps don't seem to age as gracefully as buckling springs.  Heck, I have an AT-101W that I'd send you for shipping, but it is in serious need of some loob and some retrobrite.  With either of those options, you will need a good PS/2 to USB converter though unless your PC still has a PS/2 port.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2011, 19:31:05 by N8N »
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)