Author Topic: What is the difference between the Blackwidow and the Blackwidow-Mac version?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

Is it just the software included? I have to say that I find any description of a keyboard saying a certain OS is required a bit confusing.
Don't the basic functionality of all keyboards work on all OSes?

Offline N8N

What is the difference between the Blackwidow and the Blackwidow-Mac version?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 19:55:47 »
yes, but traditionally mac keyboards have had control-option-command keys instead of control-win-alt.  Compare and contrast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_Extended_Keyboard.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Unicomp_keyboard.jpg

notice that the numpad is a little weird on the Apple keyboard as well.  They like to be different!  (I don't know if the Razer goes so far as to make that change, or just changes the printing on the bottom row keys to be Mac friendly.)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 20:38:31 »
Oops. Forgot about that. Is it just  the keycaps or is there a different signal sent to the computer with the option/windows key? Or is it just the keycap? ( Nevermind the menu button. I never use that. )

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 20:01:53 »
The command key (cloverleaf or Apple symbols) should work as the Windows key, and option will work as alt. These aren't in the positions a Windows user expects (Win and Alt need to be swapped), but it'll work. Clear (on the numpad) might work as numlock (or might not; I can't remember). Delete (in the backspace position) will work as backspace, and forward delete (in the delete position) as delete. The fkeys should work, with F13-F15 working as print screen, scroll lock, and pause/break. Older Mac keyboards have a help key above fwd del, which will work as insert.

Looking at that particular keyboard, F15 is missing so you won't have pause/break and you probably won't have insert since fn is in that position. There is a key where the Menu key would be on a PC keyboard, but I don't know what it does.

Personally, unless you are using Mac OS almost all of the time, I'd buy the standard version. It'll work fine on a Mac, unless they're doing something stupid. (hold F12 for eject; print screen, scroll lk, and pause/break become F13-F15; num lock becomes clear; insert does nothing useful and menu does nothing at all; windows becomes command and alt becomes option (but again, in the wrong order; they can easily be swapped in Sys Prefs -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys))