Author Topic: Finally found a freebie clicky keyboard!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline almosttoor

Finally found a freebie clicky keyboard!
« on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 01:19:38 »
So I had drooled over "clicky" keyboards, only hoping that I would stumble across one to prevent myself from buying one, when I got an awesome one today!

As part of a donation pickup, right by a CRT monitor was a keyboard that appears to be a Qtronix Scorpius-35 S/N 908000906.

Everything is in full working condition, and the trackball appears to be smooth and awesome. The keyboard is extremely clean, with no visible dirt. (It looks like it was just taken out of the box.)

The only sad part is that the period key is missing. I'd love to find a replacement as close to stock as possible. Also, any help identifying the switches and hardware would be great. They appear to be Cherry MX Whites, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I tried to add a picture, but apparently URLs are a bad thing. Note to self, imgur is apparently an evil site.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 03:39:37 »
Quote from: almosttoor;463230
The only sad part is that the period key is missing. I'd love to find a replacement as close to stock as possible. Also, any help identifying the switches and hardware would be great. They appear to be Cherry MX Whites, but I'm not sure.

Could also be Cherry MX Blue clones that look almost like Cherry switches but have white/clear stems, no logo. Internals between those and original Cherries don't fit but keycaps do so if you get a set of Cherry keycaps you can use it on this keyboard. Also if those are indeed Cherry clones they're slightly worse than originals... Compared to G80 with MX Blue, my Chicony board with those clones is mushy and the clicks across the board are not consistent. But they do feel and sound similar.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 11:19:19 »
Congrats, you found some fake white cherries!
The switches are basically 100% compatible with genuine cherry switches, so there's tons of fun to be had with those babies!
keyboards!

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 14:11:26 »
Congrats, and pics, please! Photobucket works out okay for me, even though it's not a "trendy" image website.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 04:08:48 »
You won't be able to post links to images until you get your post count above 15, photobucket and imgur (any URL) included.

Great find! I'm still trying to get my hands on some Sony FW900s (about 9) that are in a local research facility (they don't want 'em, and are too cheap to pay for e-waste) so some of the old CRT's are still worth it! I never see anything cool in the local thrift stores. Often there are some good vintage labware that the university auctions (state law, they have to auction it) so it's a good find for you!