Author Topic: Buying advice: Cherry Mx Switch most like buckling spring  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Grizaptimus

Buying advice: Cherry Mx Switch most like buckling spring
« on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 11:27:42 »
Hey there everyone,  I am currently quite happy with my unicomp, however as Christmas is nearing my addiction rears its ugly head.

While I love the feel and sound of the unicomp I would like something that is more portable.  So I have been looking at the KBC poker, or a Leopold tenleyless.

My question is which switch would you say is most similar in feel to the Buckling spring of the unicomp?
Current Keyboard: Unicomp Customizer 104,  Dell AT101W

woody

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 11:29:02 »
Cherry MX blue.

Offline bavman

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 11:35:58 »
If you want something closer to the feel I think you'd want clears because they're stiff like buckling sprints and have a strong tactical bump, but they dont click. If you want something with a click then you'd want mx blues, but they are significantly lighter switches than buckling springs.

Offline Grizaptimus

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 15:01:39 »
Hmm while the clears sound nice, I dont recall them being all that common.  Is there by chance a way to firm up the resistance on the MX blues?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 15:05:33 »
Quote from: Grizaptimus;463517
Hmm while the clears sound nice, I dont recall them being all that common.  Is there by chance a way to firm up the resistance on the MX blues?

No. Clears you can find in Leopolds at EK. I recommend clears or blues.

Or both! =)

woody

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 15:06:24 »
Dunno. My personal experience is that placing the thin(ner) Signature Plastics doubleshot keycaps on plate-mounted Filco with MX blues made the feeling bit closer to buckling spring. Not firmer, just in perception. But I am considered a troll, so you can safely ignore me.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 15:38:53 »
Sure there is way to make blue stiffer, with spring swap from black = green. Whether you want to do all of that work... might not be worthwhile. But I like it better than clears.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 16:57:01 »
I'd say the closest switch is alps. Or at least that's what alot of people seem to say, and I'd agree with that.

You can put springs from blacks into the blues to make them stronger. It would be easier to do with the KBC because it is not plate mounted so you wouldn't need to desolder them all, just open them up and pop the different springs in. Can probably get just them on the classifieds.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 17:02:25 »
None of them.

Try to find an ibm ssk instead. Alternately, the ducky 1087xm with the clicky and tactile alps switches (which works out to about $55 shipped to the USA from pchome) is much closer, although the actuation and click is almost immediate, as opposed to a gradual increase of pressure leading to the actuation and click with the ibm.

Offline Grizaptimus

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 19:15:17 »
I have to say that I am rather interested in that ducky 1087xm.  How does one go about ordering from the chinese sites?

Offline pitashen

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 21:40:27 »
google translate
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 21:52:03 »
There's a tutorial over in "what's in the mail" or one of those other forums, with step by step tutorial