Author Topic: Suggest replacement for Logitech MX Revolution  (Read 9659 times)

Offline dewidaniels

Suggest replacement for Logitech MX Revolution
« on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 07:32:06 »
I have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I've owned for a few years.  I really like the mouse, but the left-hand mouse button has become unreliable.  Sometimes it doesn't register a mouse click, and sometimes it registers two mouse clicks.

This is the third Logitech mouse I've owned that's developed this problem (admittedly over a number of years). So, my question is this: should I just buy a Logitech Performance Mouse MX, or should I consider another brand that offers a better "left-hand mouse button experience"?

The things I like about the Logitech MX Revolution are:

1. Its size and weight.
2. It tracks well.
3. I really like the flywheel action on the scroll wheel (I believe this is unique to Logitech, but I could be wrong).

Cordless would be nice, but I could live with corded. I don't care about extra mouse buttons.  I just use  the left and right mouse buttons and the scroll wheel.

I use my home PC mostly for email, web surfing, word processing and playing Lord Of The Rings Online (an MMO).

Suggestions, please?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 23:08:19 »
Logitech G700 and/or Performance MX. I prefer the G700 because of the added features and my thumb feel squished on the Performance MX.

Offline nar

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 02:41:06 »
I have the Performance MX. The shape of the performance mx is pretty much identical to the MX Revolution. The G700 is about the same size and weight but has a slightly different shape. The Performance MX also has the darkfield sensor, so I never have tracking problems on pretty much any surface including glass.

Except those 2 things I'd say the G700 is better in every other way.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline dewidaniels

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 04:16:13 »
Thanks for the replies. I've just ordered a Logitech G700.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 17:26:12 »
You should pick up some eneloop batteries and a charger while your at it, you wont regret it.

Offline netwebber

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 14:29:32 »
One quirk about the G700: using the Logitech drivers, the scroll wheel doesn't work in "Microgear mode" (in which a tiny motion of the scroll wheel sends a scroll action). Instead, only a larger movement of the wheel (a full "click" in clicky mode) will sent a MWHEELUP or MWHEELDOWN command. To enable Microgear mode, you need to load a generic mouse driver. But to program the mouse, you need Logitech's driver.

Unlike the regular SetPoint software, Logitech's gaming mouse software doesn't let you enable smooth scrolling for all apps. The best you can do is use Microgear mode and set Windows to scroll 1 line at a time.

For smooth scrolling in web browsers, you can use either Logitech's Scroll App or Yet Another Smooth Scrolling/Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller. You can play around with the settings.

My recommended button assignments:

Thumb buttons
Front-top: Shift
Rear-top: Backspace
Front/bottom: Ctrl
Rear/bottom: DPI Cycle

This lets you go forward/back (Shift+backspace=forward) while giving you a shift key for Shift+Click. It also lets you use Ctrl+mousewheel for zooming, which has a "pinch-to-zoom" feel to it. If you use Photoshop you'll want to assign one of these buttons to Alt, or create a custom profile for Photoshop.

The rear/bottom button is one I sometimes hit accidentally, so I assigned it to adjust the dpi instead of giving a command.

Top buttons
Top: Paste
Center: Copy
Bottom: Ctrl+W

The copy/paste buttons aren't really necessary, but they save you a click. Ctrl+W is the close tab command. This is REALLY handy if you use a lot of tabs.

Tilt right: Ctrl+Tab
Tilt left: Shift+Ctrl+Tab

Once you use the wheel rocker to change tabs, you will never go back. Think you've lost right/left scrolling? Just use Shift+Scroll wheel (conveniently assigned already)

Center top button: application switch or Enter
For one-handed control, having an enter key is useful. This lets you, for example, copy and paste URLs and other text and hit enter with one hand. I put it on top so I don't accidentally hit it. Recently, though, I've been using it for Flip 3D.

Enjoy your G700! It's my favorite mouse.
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline xorxpto

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 05:08:38 »
Quote from: dewidaniels;463834
... I really like the mouse, but the left-hand mouse button has become unreliable.  Sometimes it doesn't register a mouse click, and sometimes it registers two mouse clicks.

This is the third Logitech mouse I've owned that's developed this problem (admittedly over a number of years).

Over time, “double click” gesture wears out the left button of any mouse.
The way I found to overcome this problem is to remap the middle button to “double click”.
The mouse lasts for much more time and its less annoying for people around you that don't like that “double click” sound.

Offline keyth

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 01:31:35 »
It seems to use the same microswitches as most mice, so why not transplant a replacement from a dead or undesirable donor mouse?

The middle button force of the MX Revolution is probably too high to use for the frequent clicks  demanded of a left button.

Offline xorxpto

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 06:24:40 »
Quote from: keyth;488502
The middle button force of the MX Revolution is probably too high to use for the frequent clicks demanded of a left button.

I'm not saying to exchange left button with middle button.
The idea is to make 1 middle button click equal to double click (2 sequential left button clicks).
For example, if you want to open a file, you click just one time with middle button over that file.
(left button can still be used, however you need two clicks to do the same thing).

The middle button force of the MX Revolution is probably too high if you don't use it daily.
If you use it everyday, it becomes soft over time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2012, 07:33:35 by xorxpto »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 08:34:50 »
but the middle button is so usefull i probably use it as much as right click.

Offline xorxpto

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 20:38:07 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;488581
but the middle button is so usefull i probably use it as much as right click.

The default middle-click behavior in a mouse has no use for me.
I personally hate the "autoscroll mode" that's defined by default to middle-click on most programs.
Logitech Hyper-fast scrolling makes that "autoscroll mode" absolete.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 22:25:00 »
Quote from: xorxpto;489142
The default middle-click behavior in a mouse has no use for me.
I personally hate the "autoscroll mode" that's defined by default to middle-click on most programs.
Logitech Hyper-fast scrolling makes that "autoscroll mode" absolete.
what about browsing the web center click does tons of things at least in firefox and I believe that other browsers have followed suit.

Offline xorxpto

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 14:52:19 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;489197
what about browsing the web center click does tons of things at least in firefox and I believe that other browsers have followed suit.

On Firefox those things (and much more!) can be achieved via mouse gestures add-on.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 15:43:24 »
Quote from: xorxpto;489732
On Firefox those things (and much more!) can be achieved via mouse gestures add-on.

I used to use those now I just use keyboard and/or mouse shortcuts since their cross browser (usually) and cross computer without having to install anything.