Author Topic: My first mechanical...  (Read 4045 times)

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:05:49 »
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and if not, please move it.

Currently using a Logitech G510 which I got for £45 (thought was a good deal) however it's too big for me, and so since I've found a buyer (who'll pay £40) I thought I'd give a mechanical keyboard a go, since people rave about them so much, and they seem more common in the tenkeyless format.
I reckon brown switches would be best for me, since the keyboard will be used as a general purpose keyboard, which will include gaming.

I was planning on getting a PLU-M87, until I found out they were 2KRO, which isn't enough for gaming methinks, and so had to look elsewhere.
As far as I'm aware, the other options are the Ducky, Filco and Leopold? (all tenkeyless)

After some looking around, I can get the Ducky for around £73 (from pchome), the leopold would be £100 (from elite keyboards), or I could get a filco for £120 (from keyboardco).

I was wondering what people would recommend? (or if they know places where I could get them cheaper)

Thanks
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
My first mechanical...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:07:37 »
If money is not the problem get a Filco
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:09:46 »
Ducky = Cheap unless you get the 9008 model, the 1087 are very low quality.
Leopolds = Are good for starters like myself same quality as filcos.
Filcos = High quality but costs more due to the appearance.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:11:18 »
Should've mentioned, money is obviously partly an issue (otherwise I'd get the filco since it's reckoned to be the best out of them)
However I'm wondering if the filco/leopold are worth the extra? And whether the Ducky, while not as good, would still be so much better than my current keyboard that it wouldn't really matter?

Also am ofcourse open to others I may not have heard of. Ideally tenkeyless.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:14:36 »
Duckys 9008 are on par with leopolds and filcos just have the rep of being good
Id suggest Leopolds since theyre moderately cheap for a mechanical keyboard and sturdy, if not check out neweggs rosewill keyboards.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
My first mechanical...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:20:36 »
for 14 pounds diff between the leopold and Filco I will keep the Filco. I prefer the Filco by far
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:20:57 »
What about the CMStorm Quickfire, of the couple of reviews I've seen, they seem to be good, and it's the same price as the Ducky

£120 just seems a lot to spend on a keyboard, especially as it will be my first foray into the mechanical world... (forgot to add delivery cost)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 18:23:09 »
You could look into chocs or pokers but theyre mini mechs.
Peripherals:

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 19:08:04 »
So the poker is recommended for a mini keyboard? (they're growing on me)
And seemingly cheaper aswell which is always nice
What about a noppoo?

Edit:
Is a choc a noppoo? Seems to be in some places
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
My first mechanical...
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 19:19:06 »
Yes Noppoo is the actual brand, choc is a model name. Have you gone through the classifieds here? I seem to remember seeing some UK and EU tagged sales recently. Could save you some hassle and money since the keyboard is already in your region.

Offline Clickey

My first mechanical...
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 19:40:46 »
Basicly if you want a new tenkeyless mechanical you are going to have to pony up the cash. The only other option is the Siig Minitouches that are on ebay frequently and sell for around $50-60 shipped. You might be able to get a compaq 11900 (cherry brown) or old apple (ALPS) which are both small for $20-40 shipped.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 December 2011, 19:47:37 by Clickey »
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 20:07:16 »
None of those attract me to them if I'm honest.

Going to have more of a look in the classified section etc, and read up a bit more into the different switches. Give my mind time to decide whether it wants a tenkeyless or a mini :P
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 20:59:59 »
Keep in mind that looks for mechanical keyboards arent what its all about its the feel of a specific keyboard.

Look up topre keyboards they look like standard mechanicals but they have their own unique topre switch.

The KBC Poker is a mini keyboard and the Noppoo Choc Mini is a mini keyboard with all the things that a tenkeyless has.

You might wanna look at all the types of switches before deciding or you could just try all of them out yourself like I am currently.

Look up 2011 Cherry Switch Tester Holiday Tour 2011 has a numberpad with each possible cherry switch.
Heres a new mini keyboard called RACE by Vortex:HERE
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 December 2011, 21:04:42 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
My first mechanical...
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 21:17:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack! (finally, I get to say this..)

If you're in the market for a great starter keyboard, get the Leopold or the Filco with cherry browns.  They're both virtually the same keyboard as far as quality and switch feel goes.  If you like detachable USB cables go with the Leopold.  Keep in mind though, for any beginning keyboard enthusiast, you're eventually going to be buying a Filco anyway :)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 21:21:48 »
Quote from: DanGWanG;464207
Keep in mind though, for any beginning keyboard enthusiast, you're eventually going to be buying a Topre anyway :)
Much better
Peripherals:

Offline Babbylar

My first mechanical...
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 03:57:13 »
When I was in Japan in September, I got to test out Filcos and Leopolds side by side. I could tell the Filco's were slightly higher quality but i felt that it wasn't worth the near 4000 yen price difference (yen too strong these days). I happen to like the fact that the Leopolds have a detachable cable instead of the fixed one on the Filco's. Also, I couldn't find a Filco board that was Cherry MX Red. Combine all that, and I ended up with the Leopold and I haven't regretted my decision to date. I would have considered the Ducky even if it really is lower quality than the Leopold. They are all solid keyboards and if you are on a budget I don't see a problem with going for the Ducky.
Daily Driver: Leopold FC500R (Cherry Red)
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)

Offline pitashen

My first mechanical...
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 04:33:19 »
Here is an idea for OP and to all those who are in doubt about how much they should spend on their first mechanical keyboard.

Buy a good brand (e.g. filco or leopold...whatever with good reputation) and pick a safe switch choice (brown blue maybe red). Try the keyboard. Give yourself a couple of months. If you end up liking it, believe me, you'll think it is a god damn good investment. If you hate it, resale it at our classified section, u'll get most of your money back.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2011, 04:40:06 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 13:02:04 »
Having done some more reading, I reckon blues or browns would be the best choice, atleast to start with ;)
I love the look of the keyboards with the coloured wasd/esc keys, aswell as the side etched ones, rather than on top, so may need to pick up some extra keys, where's the best place?

I can already see myself getting a normal sized keyboard, aswell as a mini/tenkeyless.
Love the look of the filco in the classifieds, worried may be a bit of a pain to keep clean etc anyone with white keys have anything to comment?
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:02:34 »
Well almost all the reviews ive seen of white kbs like say the ducky rabbit was that the maintenance was less than they expected of white keycaps but it helps that the keycaps are pbt and not abs due to the low quality of the abs.
As for the keycaps look at ebay or classifieds try to find cheap pbt due to their durability but not a must.
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:15:11 »
Im guessing its going to be same thing that happened with the Filco "Limited R"
Peripherals:

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:21:12 »
But they blew up the price just for red switches. Theres plenty of other kbs with red switches that arent that much. oh well..
Peripherals:

Offline slueth

My first mechanical...
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:22:26 »
^This was back then when red switches were super hyped and rare.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
My first mechanical...
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 19:29:25 »
Quote from: slueth;464840
^This was back then when red switches were super hyped and rare.
Guess the reds are coming back or they've been coming back since leopolds with them arent even changed in price.
Peripherals:

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 20:00:47 »
While I love the look of the filco on the forums, am wanting a smaller keyboard ideally :/
If it was tenkeyless I would snap it up.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 20:09:22 »
I was referring to the Filco Majestouch 1 I had commented about earlier on in the thread?
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline feteru

My first mechanical...
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 21:54:34 »
First Post! I am also looking for my first mechanical keyboard, and I was wondering how big of a difference in quality there is between a filco and a leopold. Money is not really the issue, as it is only a $50 difference, but I don't see a MX Blue filco, which was sort of the switch I wanted as I heard they are excellent for typing. If I decided to go for brown, however, as I also game casually, then I could get a Das, Filco, or Leopold. Can someone explain in more detail the difference between these switches?

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 07:14:31 »
Yeah, being in the UK sucks (as always for any computer related stuff)

Am looking at the Ducky in the forums, since will be an easier price for me to swallow first off, and as people have said, I can always sell it on again if I wanted something different.
And I've got 2 computers, so I can easily persuade myself that I need 2 mechs if I do end up liking it :P
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline feteru

My first mechanical...
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 07:35:40 »
First Post! I am also looking for my first mechanical keyboard, and I was wondering how big of a difference in quality there is between a filco and a leopold. Money is not really the issue, as it is only a $50 difference, but I don't see a MX Blue filco, which was sort of the switch I wanted as I heard they are excellent for typing. If I decided to go for brown, however, as I also game casually, then I could get a Das, Filco, or Leopold. Can someone explain in more detail the difference between these switches?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
My first mechanical...
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 09:54:51 »
I don't have any blues, but I can explain that browns are lightly tactile. If I'm typing quick, I almost don't notice, but If I'm slowly scrolling through an ebook, or forum, it's pretty easy to feel.

I'd say get blues if you're lightly gaming, as blues are supposed to be pretty good for that. I used to game on my unicomp, and it worked out pretty well (although the 2KRO hurt a bit)

From what I have seen, there's not too big a difference between them quality wise, but the Leopold has a less "standard" spacebar. semi-universal ones are being made, but compatibility can be an issue. Also, I think I read that leopold uses cherry stabilizers, whereas filco is costar ofcourse.

I've only used cherry style once (on a 10-unit spacebar on my WYSE) but I think I'd prefer costar stabilizers, it's not a huge difference though.

If you like tenkeyless, you should consider the CMstorm, which has at least as good build quality as filco, and has removable cable, etc. Fol fullsize, I've read that the rosewill (despite having an ugly logo) is also about the same.
---

Point is: you should be happy with either of those.

Also, have you considered a Model M? I much prefer it for typing and daily use than my other mechanicals (for the moment).

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 09:59:04 »
It will be a mix of gaming and general use, probably not that much typing in terms of essays etc.

Don't like the look of the Model M, and while I know it's not really about that, it is partially, since I'm going to have to see it everyday :P
Looked at the CMStorm, and I like the look of it, although not a fan of all the branding, and I'm trying to source a keyboard within the EU, to avoid any possible issues with customs etc (if I have to pay VAT, means at extra 20% onto the cost of the keyboard :/ )
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 06:19:50 »
Well just to update you guys, currently typing on my first mechanical keyboard, a Ducky DK1087 with blue keys, and I must say it's awesome :D

Love the sound, main thing that's getting me at the moment is the smaller enter key, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. I can easily see myself picking up a KBC Poker for my other PC soon, although not sure which switches to go for, might aswell mix it up, probably try brown.

Haven't tried gaming on it yet, but with a LAN this weekend will have lots of time to play around with it, also love the changeable keycaps already, can really see myself start collecting vast numbers of spares :D
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 09:58:02 »
I took onboard what people said here, aswell as what people have said elsewhere, and in the end, I just didn't feel I could justify £100+ on a keyboard at the moment.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 10:06:24 »
Also didn't have theo worry of getting VAT added by customs, which was nice :)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 10:09:43 »
Got it 2nd hand from the classifieds.

So it was around £50 cheaper than buying a filco/leopold, so I decided to go for it since it also meant I'd be able to get it in time for the LAN this weekend I'll be at :)
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline GeorgeStorm

My first mechanical...
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:09:23 »
Just to update people on how I find it when gaming.
I really like it, don't think I've noticed a massive difference in terms of whether I'm better, or whether they keys are more responsive as a result of the mechanical keys etc. However I love hearing the constant clicking :D
Poker with blacks
My flickr