Author Topic: Need keyboard suggestion based on criteria...  (Read 1057 times)

Offline cathode

Need keyboard suggestion based on criteria...
« on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 17:18:13 »
Hello everyone, new member here.

I'm looking to purchase a new mechanical keyboard and it seems like there are so many choices that it's hard to pick just one of them! So, I figured if I post a list of criteria (in order of importance to me), then perhaps a more knowledgeable user could make a suggestion. I live in the USA so I won't be able to get something if it's a europe or asia exclusive.

So, list of criteria (from most important, to least important)

1. Double-shot keycaps
2. Backlighting
3. Best switches for combination of gaming and typing, 75% time spent typing, 25% spent gaming. (Cherry MX Brown? Blue?)
4. Ergonomics
5. Available with PS/2 interface.
6. Appearance / Aesthetics
7. Cost
8. Features (USB hub, media keys, etc)

Essentially, I've had a number of less expensive 'gaming' keyboards (membrane, not mechanical) and on all of them, the legends on the keycaps have totally worn off. The keyboard I'm using now is a Saitek Cyborg Gaming Keyboard and the keycaps are clear plastic with black paint masking off the non-legend areas of the keys, but I've only had this unit a year or so and a number of the keys are completely worn off on the top. So I'm looking for something that I won't have to upgrade from, ever.

Also, my primary use is typing (programming), but I do spend some time playing FPS games on my PC.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some suggestions! Thanks!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 17:19:47 »
As far as I recall, if you want new you are not getting double-shot caps with it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline cathode

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 18:06:08 »
What about dye sublimation keycaps? Basically, something that will not wear off no matter what.

Offline LEGITBALLIN

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 18:23:34 »
You most likely will not get doubleshots with a  new board i suggest getting a board and a donor board and just cleaning the caps and replacing them. Also for half typing and half gaming i would suggest browns.
V-tec just kicked in yo\'

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 18:28:35 »
I'm thinking backlit and keycaps that won't eventually wear out after heavy use are probably mutually exclusive.  If you don't insist on backlit or media keys I'm thinking Das.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:10:00 »
Quote from: cathode;467942
1. Double-shot keycaps

You can always buy new keycaps, but you would probably need to either find a Cherry with doubleshots on ebay or import a Poker with dye-sublimated PBT keycaps if you want nicer keycaps to come on the keyboard. Or spring for a keyboard with Topre switches, since I believe they all come with dye-sublimated PBT keycaps.

2. Backlighting

Backlighting and good keycaps don't mix. If you really need backlighting, I think the Ducky Shine currently sounds like the way to go, but you're probably best off dropping the backlighting requirement if you can.

3. Best switches for combination of gaming and typing, 75% time spent typing, 25% spent gaming. (Cherry MX Brown? Blue?)

It really depends on individual preference, but Cherry MX Browns are the safe choice here. Like a lot of people, I'm a fan of blues for typing and reds for gaming, but browns are good all-purpose switches.

4. Ergonomics

Unless you're willing to try a more exotic board like the Kinesis, you should probably just get a tenkeyless board if you're concerned about ergonomics.

5. Available with PS/2 interface.

All(?) keyboards on the market these days with Cherry MX switches have USB interfaces, but many will come with a PS/2 converter, which should be fine.

6. Appearance / Aesthetics

This obviously depends, but a lot of people here prefer the minimalist Filco/Leopold look. The Filco has more angular edges and looks more serious, while the Leopold has rounder edges which make it look a little more toy-like.

7. Cost

Unless you're willing to find something used or seriously compromise on some of your other requirements, you'll be looking at $110-140 for a decent keyboard with Cherry MX switches.

8. Features (USB hub, media keys, etc)

The Das Keyboard can function as a USB hub, but is this really something that matters much? I feel like most/all computers these days have a number of easily accessible USB ports on the front, and it's easy to use software like AutoHotKey for media functions.

If the possibility of legend-wear is the main reason you're interested in doubleshot/dye-sublimated keycaps, you might want to consider the "Ninja" Filcos that have the legends on the front of the keys instead of the tops of the keys. They're not the cheapest of keyboards, but Filco is generally regarded as the top of the line brand for Cherry MX switches, and then you wouldn't need to get separate keycaps.