Author Topic: Picked up two Model M's for cheap, have a few questions.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Snytbaggen

Picked up two Model M's for cheap, have a few questions.
« on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 10:25:06 »
I was down to my local second hand store today and saw that they had two Model M's for a total of $7. Needless to say, I bought them immediately. The top one is from 1993 and the bottom one from 1988, both have two piece keycaps.

Both were fully working and in great condition except for some dirt and grime; the 1988 one was exceptionally bad. I think I even saw some cobwebs when I removed the keycaps... Anyway, after some hot water, soap and a lot of q-tips the -88 one looks like new, and that's what I'll bring home to my apartment this evening. The other one goes to my family that I was visiting this weekend.

When I cleaned the keyboard I found that in addition to the spacebar, both enter keys and the big + key had metal bar stabilizers, something that neither the -93 keyboard had nor the -91 board I use at home. Is this something that was removed somewhere between -88 and -91?

And also, the cable I use with my -91 board only have four pins, but the one on the -88 have all of them. Can I use the -91 cable with the -88 board, or will that mess something up?

Offline Snytbaggen

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 11:05:09 »
So I looked some stuff up on a wiki, and it seems that  the -88 model m is a first generation one since it has the stabilizer bars and a brass-colored backplate, so that answers that question.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 12:50:02 »
Why can't I find that in my local stores? Dadgummit. Congrats!

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline rodtang

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 14:58:04 »
Damn you are lucky, nice keyboards and nice layout.

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 15:12:15 »
where did you found them, around gbg or sthlm? and how did you solve the connection problem? a friend of mine has one of these but he hasn't found a decent converter due to odd number of pins (don't remember exactly how many) so it still unused

Offline Snytbaggen

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 15:19:13 »
I found them in my small hometown Mariestad, it's right next to E20 and Vänern. I pretty much lucked out finding these, I've never seen any of them there before and just happened to be at the right place at the right time, I guess. I just got home so I haven't plugged it in yet, but I think I'll use the -88 cable, even if it's a bit shorter than the one I use now. I don't have a converter since my motherboard has PS/2 ports, so I just use them.